General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please help identify found H-D Bolt in driveway

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 10:08 AM
jamesw
Road Warrior
Received 740 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by codyshop
Two things: it could be the upper front engine guard mounting bolt and two, doesn't anyone ride evos anymore?
+1!

My wife's EVO gets reviewed regularly for missing/loose stuff!

Old 09-07-2009, 11:14 AM
user 8373900
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Check your starter or the others starters...
I recently had my 07 starter fall off, and that is the size of bolt I had to buy.

Mark

Old 09-07-2009, 11:50 AM
screamn_eagle
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, according to the parts book for touring bikes, there is a button head hex bolt, 5/16 by 2 1/2 inches that is for the top rail of the saddle bag guard on a touring bike. same bolt whether left or right side, so check both.

Old 09-07-2009, 02:02 PM
Nellybelle
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by screamn_eagle
OK, according to the parts book for touring bikes, there is a button head hex bolt, 5/16 by 2 1/2 inches that is for the top rail of the saddle bag guard on a touring bike. same bolt whether left or right side, so check both.

It has a Hex head and not a button head but other than that the dimension are correct. Thanks for your advice.

Old 09-07-2009, 03:06 PM
hdtwice
Road Master

Originally Posted by Nellybelle
It has a Hex head and not a button head but other than that the dimension are correct. Thanks for your advice.
button head...hex head.....so what; whats a little head among friends...(ah jeeze,,,did I say that out loud!)

Old 09-07-2009, 03:16 PM
screamn_eagle
Outstanding HDF Member

OK, someone is screwing with you. i checked the softail and the touring books. there are only 2 bolts listed that ar 5/16th and anywhere near 2 1/2 to 3 inch, hex heads. one is on the inside of the primary, so that is virtually impossible, unless you took your primary apart. the second is the rocker box bolt, which is external, but for that bolt to exit the engine sounds impossible, but check your rockerbox covers, those bolts are 5/16 x 2 1/2 grade 8, and 18 thread width

Old 09-07-2009, 04:26 PM
Nellybelle
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by screamn_eagle
OK, someone is screwing with you. i checked the softail and the touring books. there are only 2 bolts listed that ar 5/16th and anywhere near 2 1/2 to 3 inch, hex heads. one is on the inside of the primary, so that is virtually impossible, unless you took your primary apart. the second is the rocker box bolt, which is external, but for that bolt to exit the engine sounds impossible, but check your rockerbox covers, those bolts are 5/16 x 2 1/2 grade 8, and 18 thread width

Thank you for the information. I have service manual for both bikes. Where did you find the listing of all the bolts they use? I must have over looked it.

Old 09-07-2009, 04:34 PM
screamn_eagle
Outstanding HDF Member

here at the dealership.... not in the service manual...the parts department has a listing of all parts for every model.

Old 09-07-2009, 04:38 PM
Nellybelle
Road Warrior

I just went out in the garage and checked the rocker box bolts. It is not them. The bolt has the same size and type head as the bolt for the passenger footboard bracket to the frame. Except it is almost 3 inches long.

I appreciate everyones help. I was hoping to find it prior to going to the Harley shop tomorrow. Thanks again.

Old 09-07-2009, 06:18 PM
badwhine
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Today my wife found a bolt in our driveway. It is a 3 inch long hex head bolt.
It was stamp H-D Grade A. It had residue of white locktight on it.

Yesterday several friends were over and we all went on a 200 mile ride. None of them came back to my house after the ride so I know it had to come out prior to the ride. Possible bikes that lost it is Ultra Classics 06, 07 & 08's. Heritage 07, Softail Custom-08, Road King-07 or 8.

I have contacted them all and everyone says not them. I know it has to be somebodys.

Any ideas would be great.
It is the bolt/nut that jerks the handle bars.

Quick Reply: Please help identify found H-D Bolt in driveway