General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stung 5x this week while riding...it sucks

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 08:22 PM
RexBuck
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They usually just bounce off my face - feel like a little rock.

Couple of months ago, took the wife on her first long ride this year, she on her own bike. I wear a half hat and had one get stuck in my helmet strap and it whacked me behind my ear. Wife wears a ful hat with the face shield cracked open a bit and had four fly inside and whack her in the face.

Couple of weeks ago I got hit in the cheek with one of those splooshy things, felt like a butterfly. Except that in about 5 seconds I could feel the sting. I think the little bugger was flying the same direction as I was and I just ran into it's soft end . . . which included the pointy part.

Seems like a more than usual.

Old 09-07-2009, 10:22 PM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

I've never had one get through my helmet or leather jacket, so, I haven't notice if there are any more than usual this year.

.... but, when you're not getting repeatedly stung in the face, that wind probably feels damn good, eh?

Old 09-08-2009, 08:22 AM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow. What cologne do you wear? Honey Suckle Rose brand?

Old 09-08-2009, 09:37 AM
Classic Eagle
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Happened to me just a couple weekends ago. Hurts like hell man!

Old 09-08-2009, 09:51 AM
Ribaldmanikin
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm notorious for being the guy who collects the bees on rides. I had 3 on one ride this weekend. One behind the ear, and two somehow managed to get up my sleeves and sting my arms.

The worst one for me was on my motorcycle license test. I had a full face and a wasp flew inside my helmet. I didn't want to risk my 100% score, and just kept on going despite the wasp crawling on my face.

Maybe it's payback for years spent working with a beekeeper when I was a kid. Luckily I get along fine with bee stings and rarely show a mark.

My wife is terrified of bees and wasps hasn't had one incident yet.

Old 09-08-2009, 09:51 AM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

I hear that the more times you get stung the greater your chances are to become alergic.

Old 09-08-2009, 10:44 AM
nferr
Road Master
Received 220 Likes on 98 Posts

Many years of riding,never was stung until last year. Twice in one week - both times right on the neck. Darn things hurt too.

Old 09-08-2009, 11:11 AM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Bumble bees will fly a 100 yards out of their way just to get a lick at me. I've seen them do it several times.

Old 09-08-2009, 01:08 PM
Fastfwd
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FastHoss
I hear that the more times you get stung the greater your chances are to become alergic.
I’ve been stung my share in my day, but a few months ago I got one on the back of the head and it nearly put me down. All of the sudden I’m allergic to wasps I guess. I hear it gets worse after the first time you have an allergic reaction. I’ve been meaning to go to the doctor to get one of those shots to carry around with me, but it’s sure going to be hard to keep that with me on the bike with no bags.

Old 09-08-2009, 01:16 PM
GasCan
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had swelling in both my cheek last week, and my neck this past weekend which is starting to subside now. No cologne, just the right place at the wrong time. I guess I'm somewhat allergic judging by the post action swelling, but don't think it's bad enough to carry an epipen with me. Hope it never gets that bad, but it sure sucks getting them in the face. Wore my full face yesterday and it was great cause it cooled off here this past weekend.

As for having my face in the wind after a sting...yes it felt good. Eh!

Quick Reply: Stung 5x this week while riding...it sucks