General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley's new Synthetic Blend Oil

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 06:36 AM
carmencip
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Harley's new Synthetic Blend Oil

Changed my oil in the SG yesterday and tried this new Harley oil. It's two bucks cheaper per quart then the Syn3 and can only be used in the engine cavity. I ran about 100 miles and the oil temp was running the same as with the Syn3.

Anyone hear any feedback about this blended synthetic? Good or Bad?

My dealer said they just got it in....asked me to let them know if I liked it.

Old 09-06-2009, 06:45 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

Dont know what it is, haven't seen it yet.

others have posted this info and most thought it was the old light brown bottle syn3 they were talking about???

HD syn3 oil is a blend, its not a true syn oil anyway so its confusing on why they now are selling one that is called a blended syn oil....

Old 09-06-2009, 07:41 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

IMO, it's just one more change in marketing strategy from the MoCo. First, synthetic oils were going to destroy our motors. Then, HD comes out with Syn3 and synthetic Motor Oil is not only OK but we're supposed to pour it in all 3 holes. Next comes a shift away from recommending Syn3 in all 3 holes as the preferred choice, it's Formula+ for the tranny. It seems to me that the new (partially) synthetic motor oil is MoCo's way of quietly backing away from the one oil in all three holes concept, which IMO, was a bad idea from the start. The motor and tranny are very different environments, and the the oils used in them require different additive packages.

Unlike name brand oils, HD oils for the most part are "mystery" products with little technical information available on what's inside the bottle. Just try and find simple viscosity info on Formula+ or their fork oils, let alone any info on the additive packages.

No thanks, I'll pass on all of it and stick with proven, fully synthetic, name brand products, for which technical info on the product is readily available.

HD oil products are for sheepeoples.

Last edited by cHarley; 09-06-2009 at 07:48 AM.
Old 09-06-2009, 07:46 AM
carpetride
Elite HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I've found that it makes for a great dessert topping.

Old 09-06-2009, 07:59 AM
oct1949
Club Member

Probably right on with the marketing.. Most newly improved products have the new increased price that goes with them...
Maybe HD is just trying to get there price back down to match some of other brands and now are saying what the syn3 oil really is (a blend)...

Since oil has came down. its about time motor oil dropped in price also. Didn't take them long last yr to raise it when the barrel price was up.

Old 09-06-2009, 08:45 AM
Harley Joe
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I discovered that H-D oils are made by CITGO...I drained all mine out and went with Mobil-1 V-Twin FULLY synthetic oil for about $7.50 per qt. I just can't bring myself to "knowingly" use any CITGO product.

Old 09-06-2009, 11:01 AM
harleydavis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by cHarley
IMO, it's just one more change in marketing strategy from the MoCo. First, synthetic oils were going to destroy our motors. Then, HD comes out with Syn3 and synthetic Motor Oil is not only OK but we're supposed to pour it in all 3 holes. Next comes a shift away from recommending Syn3 in all 3 holes as the preferred choice, it's Formula+ for the tranny. It seems to me that the new (partially) synthetic motor oil is MoCo's way of quietly backing away from the one oil in all three holes concept, which IMO, was a bad idea from the start. The motor and tranny are very different environments, and the the oils used in them require different additive packages.

Unlike name brand oils, HD oils for the most part are "mystery" products with little technical information available on what's inside the bottle. Just try and find simple viscosity info on Formula+ or their fork oils, let alone any info on the additive packages.

No thanks, I'll pass on all of it and stick with proven, fully synthetic, name brand products, for which technical info on the product is readily available.

HD oil products are for sheepeoples.

+1.....I prefer to know the viscosity of the oil I'm putting into my motor, tranny, primary, and forks!

Old 09-06-2009, 11:17 AM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

You can just go to any dealer and ask for the MSDS sheet. By law they have to have one on file for each chemical. Its an OSHA and fire code thing.

Old 09-06-2009, 11:41 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by bagman1
You can just go to any dealer and ask for the MSDS sheet. By law they have to have one on file for each chemical. Its an OSHA and fire code thing.
Yea you can, but MSDS doesn't give you viscosity info, nor does it give you the quantities (in ppm) of the additives.

Old 09-06-2009, 06:32 PM
oct1949
Club Member

Originally Posted by Harley Joe
When I discovered that H-D oils are made by CITGO...I drained all mine out and went with Mobil-1 V-Twin FULLY synthetic oil for about $7.50 per qt. I just can't bring myself to "knowingly" use any CITGO product.
Can't touch V-twin here for less than $9.35qt, unless U use the 15-50 for cars..still easy to get.

Quick Reply: Harley's new Synthetic Blend Oil