General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maricopa County AZ Emissions

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 11:12 AM
fastbagger
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Maricopa County AZ Emissions

Hey my AZ friends is Maricopa County still emission testing motorcycles that are older than 5 years? I ask all the local dealers and I get different answers. Some say it has stopped, and others say they still test. This is stopping me from doing some engine work. Even though my bike is an '09 I just would like to know. I was at a local dealer last month and there was a person there with a softail night train that had engine mods that had to be emission tested. The dealer had to retard the ignition and tow the bike to the test sight for it to pass. They charged the owner $150.00. That just seems to be a HUGE inconvenience every year. Thanks

Old 09-05-2009, 12:26 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Move to Oklahoma where they don't do that stupid crap.

Old 09-06-2009, 10:20 AM
phat96
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fast bagger, yup 5 years and older, gas cap test-it has to have one, and sensors pluged into rear exhaust for the readout, it runs me $20 every year then you wait 24 hours and submit for your tags over the internet. But this only for Maricopa county, Tuscon repealed theres and we are still waiting for it to be repealed.

Old 09-07-2009, 04:28 PM
st john
Road Master
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Yep, agree with phat96, Have to get mine tested every year. confused with the
gas cap tested statement. All they do to mine is put the hose up my a$$ and
collect the 20 bucks.

Old 09-07-2009, 04:45 PM
fastbagger
Road Captain

I live in Pinal County, actually 1 block out of Maricopa. Am I exempt from emissions? I thought even if you live out of Maricopa but commute into Maricopa you had to get your vehicles emission tested. This test is a joke. I used to live in NYC and motorcycles were exempt. I would rather pay additional $20.00 a year on my reg fee if it is a revenue issue.

Old 09-07-2009, 05:22 PM
GWHT
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fastbagger
I live in Pinal County, actually 1 block out of Maricopa. Am I exempt from emissions? I thought even if you live out of Maricopa but commute into Maricopa you had to get your vehicles emission tested. This test is a joke. I used to live in NYC and motorcycles were exempt. I would rather pay additional $20.00 a year on my reg fee if it is a revenue issue.
You are exempt, it is where you live not were you drive. Can you imagine getting tested for every county or state you drive into?
Are you in A.J? I am 1 block into Maricopa County.

Old 09-07-2009, 05:24 PM
fastbagger
Road Captain

GWHT I am in Queen Creek, on the Pinal County side 1 block east of Gary Rd. Hey let's go for a ride sometime. I relocated here about 16 months ago and am looking for some riding buddies!!

Old 09-07-2009, 05:30 PM
fastbagger
Road Captain

Hmmmm. I think I may be correct regarding the commuting thing. Read link:

http://www.azdeq.gov/environ/air/vei/tested.html

Old 09-08-2009, 10:11 AM
phat96
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The gas cap test was what he told me, whats that and he said it was a visual test, that he needed to see I had a gas cap. Passed that one.

Old 09-08-2009, 11:09 AM
GB_FXST
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fastbagger
Originally Posted by GWHT
You are exempt, it is where you live not were you drive. Can you imagine getting tested for every county or state you drive into?
Are you in A.J? I am 1 block into Maricopa County.
I am in Pinal too.

But, I seem to recall signing something at the DMV affirming that I do not drive to Maricopa County to work.

Quick Reply: Maricopa County AZ Emissions