General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet articles discussion

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 01:43 PM
HDForums Editors
Internet Brands
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Helmet articles discussion

Hey guys,

Right now there are three articles about helmets on the homepage, ranging from types, buying, and top companies -- they deserve the attention...right?

So what do you go with? In your experience, which company offers the best products? What type of helmet do you use? Which do you feel is best on the head of a Harley rider? Which helmet offers the most protection and safety?

What do you think about helmet laws? Too strict or not strict enough? How are the statutes in your area?

If you missed the articles, you can find them here:
https://www.hdforums.com/articles/20...opularity.html
https://www.hdforums.com/articles/20...ing-guide.html
https://www.hdforums.com/articles/20...companies.html

You can find many more threads on helmets here: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/tags/helmet.html

Thanks

Last edited by HDForums Editors; 09-04-2009 at 04:43 PM.
Old 09-04-2009, 04:16 PM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by HDForums Editors
So what do you go with?
Full Face helmet from a reputable company.

In your experience, which company offers the best products?
No single answer. The "best" helmet is one that is within a rider's price range, so they will buy it, comfortable & fits properly, so they will wear it, and, when it comes to crunch time, of sufficient quality to do the job it was designed to do.

What type of helmet do you use?
HJC Full Face. Good price. Good quality. Good fit. Good comfort.
I could buy something that might have better airflow, a bit less noise, be lighter... but, it would cost more.

Which do you feel is best on the head of a Harley rider?
I don't think a helmet is more or less suitable based on the type of bike. Knockin' you noggin on the pavement doesn't care what type of bike you just came off of.

I think for any motorcycle rider, a full face helmet is the best choice for protection.

Which helmet offers the most protection and safety?
A full face helmet from any reputable company.

What do you think about helmet laws?
I think they suck donkey *****. There wasn't anything put out by our founding fathers that even hinted the government should get into the business of protecting us from ourselves or restricting our choices on the level of risk we choose to take.

Too strict or not strict enough?
Too strict. They shouldn't exist at all (nor should seat belt laws). There are all manner of activities in which wearing a helmet could, or likely would, prevent some number of deaths and injuries in any given year. Why single out motorcycle riders?

How are the statutes in your area?
Considering I live in Mayor Daley's Illinois - the anti-Second Amendment King... amazingly cool. No helmet laws.

Thanks
You're welcome.

This is a rabbit with a pancake on his head

Old 09-04-2009, 04:18 PM
crashin
Road Captain
Received 16 Likes on 2 Posts

This should be a great read.....
before it degenerates and implodes on itself.

Personally, I would rather the laws let people decide on whether or not to wear a helmet. We all should have a right to gauge what risks we take with our lives.

I personally wear a full face helmet. My favorite so far has been the Harley Davidson helmet made by KBC.

Old 09-04-2009, 04:21 PM
michaelm
Tourer

I use Arai fullface Quantum II. Always the best rated in any comparison. Shoei is equally good, but doesn't fit my head. Good things written about the new Bell Star.

Virtually everything else is 2nd best. There's more to this than safety ratings. Fit, comfort, ventilation, noise, ease of shield removal all are important.

A good helmet is expensive, but if you wear it every ride, well worth it. They last about 7 years before you need to replace it.

Old 09-04-2009, 04:23 PM
JW1200
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 21,496 Likes on 8,453 Posts

Sup with the rabbit with a pancake on his head, Evil?

Old 09-04-2009, 05:16 PM
NOLAMike
Road Master

Oh no, not another helmet post. I'll respond before it gets ugly:

I agree with most of what Evil said. I recently switched from a 1/2 helmet to a HJC IS-16 full face. I switched to avoid a titanium jaw and false teeth in the event of a crash. That said, I'm against helmet laws. The rider should decide.

Old 09-04-2009, 05:34 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts

A Fulmer 1/2 does the job does me year a round. And,..... "Let those that ride decide"!

Old 09-05-2009, 02:14 AM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by JW1200
Sup with the rabbit with a pancake on his head, Evil?
Clearly the rabbit has decided his favorite helmet is a pancake.

Old 09-05-2009, 03:30 AM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I have posted the link below before. It is long, but a good read. It is why I will say, just because a helmet costs more, does not mean it will protect you in a crash better than a cheaper helmet. If fact, the opposite seems to be the truth.

That said, here is my opinion:

Over 21 yoa, decide for yourself to wear a helmet or not. (maybe 18 yoa) My opinion is you should wear one. I base this on 26 years of working motorcycle traffic accidents. I've stood in the ER and talked to a lot folks with cracked helmets, but never anyone with a cracked head. But, I don't question anyone who decides they don't want to wear one.

I can't wear a full face. I find them to clausterphobic (sp?). I have a flip face and have tried to wear it repeatedly, but just can't stand to wear it. (unless it is really cold)

Wear a 3/4 most of the time, Fulmer, fits good and the price is right.

Also have a G7 1/2 helmet, most comfortable helmet I ever wore.

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/ge...iew/index.html

Old 09-05-2009, 04:56 AM
3737pisces
Cruiser
Default Helmets

Glad had Half Helmet On when April'09 Car ran into rear of my Bike. Helmet saved my Head!! Was going to consider short style Now Glad didn't go that way. In Australia have to wear Helmets. Especially ones that are Complianced to Govt regulations.

Quick Reply: Helmet articles discussion