General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley flywheels and bad warranty policies

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 01:32 PM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by harley1425
From a very experianced HD mechanic the problem seems to be only on engines that have been lugged down on a routine basis. The 96ci motors should be operated above 2200 rpm's and should never be lugged down or the flywheels will shift. Maybe HD shouldn't be responsible for someone's riding habits.
AND you took "my post".

I have posted it on here many. many times. This "problem" goes all the way back to what I call the "ain't it cool" syndrome. That's where peeps idled down their shovels and pans, to where they literally have to "lope" to get thru the next compression stroke. The 'forces' involved in that scenario, raise Holy H*LL on those 'wheels'.

Yes Sir, IT DOES sound cool as chit, and I LOVE it, meself. BUT you will NOT hear mine, idled down like that, except for someone who jus' "has ta hear it", for the first time, and then just long enough for them to go "Ooooo" or "Ahhhh". I have "fixed" shifted wheels, B4.

It is also my "F"ed up opinion, that the vast majority of peeps with the 96 and 6 spd, are in 6th WAY TOO SOON, and as such, are indeed 'lugging' the mill.

KEEP the "R"s up a bit. Me thinx you will do better, than 2 sets in 12G.

NOW, this is NOT to say, there may or may not be an ongoing issue. BTMK, haven't heard of a "rash" of them, like the cam bearings, tensioners, and the 'other' issue (Bwahahaha, like there's ONE left) they had.

Who ya dealing with ?? TC North ??? DON'T 'AKS' !!!

Good luck on the scoot. The suit?? Fergit it. Lawyers will make mo' than ANY biker, and by the time it is even thru the first phase, the scoots you are talkin' 'bout, will be dressed in "CLASSIC" plates, and we'll be callin' them, "Collectors". YIKES !!! That's a skeery azzt thought.

Old 09-04-2009, 11:33 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

I have only read where this has happened a couple times in three yrs and I used to read 2 other forums..

talking to 5 Hd PHD's wrench's, and reading a bunch on this the results were,
three things to do that are very bad on the TC 96 motor
1. on a built motor 100hp or more need bottom end redone..

2. doing burnouts can spin the crank when coming to a quick stop at the end of it..

3. Really aggressive down shifting gears and going real quick from a slow RPM (idle)to a High RPM when U let the clutch out can also make the crank slip..

have any or these been done to Ur bike??..

Last edited by oct1949; 09-04-2009 at 11:38 PM.
Old 09-05-2009, 08:32 AM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by oct1949
I have only read where this has happened a couple times in three yrs and I used to read 2 other forums..

talking to 5 Hd PHD's wrench's, and reading a bunch on this the results were,
three things to do that are very bad on the TC 96 motor
1. on a built motor 100hp or more need bottom end redone..

2. doing burnouts can spin the crank when coming to a quick stop at the end of it..

3. Really aggressive down shifting gears and going real quick from a slow RPM (idle)to a High RPM when U let the clutch out can also make the crank slip..

have any or these been done to Ur bike??..
Basically all you've said is the cranks are NFG, since a good design can handle all the above.
Ron

Old 09-05-2009, 09:26 AM
sparky1
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NO problems here,over 15000 miles on mine,never had anything go wrong with the bike.Best bike I've ever owned.Just my.02.

Old 09-05-2009, 09:34 AM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If this is really an issue for the O.P. there is a fix. Send your crank to a specialty speed shop that works on twin cams for racing. They will do their magic and do some wielding. It just cost money.