General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2 more dead going to Laconia bike week

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 11:45 AM
lapisblue
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 more dead going to Laconia bike week

I hope you don't think I enjoy this kind of news by posting it, I don't....... I think it is important that people see what can happen when you least expect it. Here is another case of crossing the yellow line. (Notice it was on a curve again) VIDEO LINK HERE

Two Motorcyclists Die In Crash, Three Others Hospitalized
THORNTON, N.H. -- A couple from Indiana was killed on Sunday when their motorcycle collided head-on with a car in Thornton.

The accident happened at around 12:00 p.m. near the town line on Route 49.

Police said Gary Varden, 56, and his wife, Joyce, 56, were both deceased when emergency workers arrived on the scene. The couple was from Evansville, Ind. Each was wearing a helmet at the time of the crash.

Police said the Vardens struck a car driven by Joshua Shepard, 26, of Thornton. Shepard was transported to Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center and was reported in critical condition on Sunday night.

The Vardens were traveling with a second couple from Evansville, Ind. who was also involved in the accident.

Rick Huffman, 50, was reported in fair condition at Dartmouth-Hitchock on Sunday night. His wife, Claudia, 56, was listed in critical condition. Police said Claudia Huffman was not wearing a helmet and underwent surgery for severe head injuries.

Investigators said that the Huffmans hit the Vardens' motorcycle during the collission

On Sunday night, police did not know who was at fault for the accident.

Police warned motorcyclists to stay alert and be careful. The same warning goes out to drivers because of the large number of motorcyclists in the area for Motorcycle Week.

This is the second fatal motorcycle crash on New Hampshire roads since Friday. Three men died in Stoddard in a crash involving an SUV. Five other people involved in that accident suffered injuries.

Thornton resident Kevin McGuire, of Upper Mad River Road, said he was heading home yesterday around noon when he got caught in the resulting traffic jam.

"I was only a few cars back when the ambulance came through. Cars were pulling off the road. I tried to go another way, through Campton, but police had the roads blocked," McGuire said.

The site of the accident is on a curve not far from the William Tell Inn, he said.

A crash Friday on Route 9 in Stoddard involving a sport-utility vehicle and a group of bikers riding together claimed the lives of three of the motorcyclists, who were on their way to Motorcycle Week in Laconia.

Dominic Scuderi, who serves on the board of New Hampshire Motorcyclists Rights Organization, said safety is a year-round problem.

"We're trying to push for more education for drivers of other vehicles — a lot of them just do not watch for motorcycles," said Scuderi. "I've been riding 34 years and have been cut off more than a few times by drivers who just didn't see me."

He said his organization was responsible for bringing motorcycle safety courses to the state, and continues to lobby for mandatory driver education that deals with motorcycle awareness.

"We're trying to add a few more hours of class time to the driver education courses that deals with motorcycles, to raise awareness," said Scuderi.

Old 06-12-2006, 12:00 PM
eddybo69
Road Master
Default RE: 2 more dead going to Laconia bike week

I cant tell what happened there, but can tell you that a car can cross the center line and hit you very quickly. This can happen whether you are riding the center line, center of your lane, or the fog line. It happened to me on May 19, luckily just a glancing blow. It was one of the few times someone could say they were glad they were on a bike rather than in a car when they got hit by a minivan. If we had been in a car there is no doubt it would have been a head on. I feel for all involved. Please be careful, watch those cagers.

Old 06-12-2006, 12:54 PM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Not to belittle the trajedy here, but did anyone notice the damage to the car vs the bikes?

Looked like pretty high speeds involved as that cars front-end was pushed to the firewall.

I hope this is the last of the injuries for bike week.

Old 06-12-2006, 01:07 PM
MOking
Tourer

Sobering story....I had 2 close calls yesterday. Makes me grateful mine were only close.

Old 06-12-2006, 04:31 PM
cajunrph
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts

Makes you sad. Some folks out enjoying a ride on the bike when it all ends because of a careless action of a cager. Wonder what will happen to the cager for ending the lives of two people? I do not wish ill will on anyone but cagers need to know that there will be consequences for their actions. If you are careless and cross the center line and kill someone there should be consequences for that greater than a small fine.

Old 06-12-2006, 11:54 PM
lapisblue
Tourer

Here is a news story video on the crash

LACONIA, N.H. -- After a deadly start to Motorcycle Week, officials are urging all motorists to use caution on the state's roads.

Thursday, three motorcyclists died in a crash in Stoddard when a sport utility vehicle swerved to avoid one of the bikes, which police said crossed the center line. Sunday, a couple from Indiana was killed when the bike they were on hit a car head-on while they were riding in Thornton.

Police said both accidents occurred on curves in the road and could have been avoided.

"Motorcycle riders should always back off and follow single-file into corner like that," Capt. Allen Welch said. "Reflective gear is something we advise, and helmets do, in fact, save lives. ... Motorcycle riders are five times more likely to sustain critical head injuries if they're not wearing a helmet."

Police said that another difficulty facing motorcyclists is the small size of the tires. With just several inches of tires, motorcycles can't stop or slow down as fast as cars can, especially when it's wet.

The state has been working to reduce the high rate of motorcycle deaths in New Hampshire, and with tens of thousands of biking enthusiasts in the state for Motorcycle Week, they have a big audience to reach.

"For both motorcyclists and cars, there's a shared responsibility," said Mavis Robinson of the Motorcycle Safety Task Force. "What we see in these accidents, half are the cars' fault, half the motorcyclists' fault. We're trying to reach out to both groups -- motorcyclists through training, cars through awareness."

This week at Plymouth State University, the Department of Motor Vehicles is holding free experienced rider training courses and decibel tests for motorcycle pipes. The courses will be all week from June 12-16 at the university and are held from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. No reservations are necessary, and the courses take less than two hours to complete.

The DMV said the course is intended for people who already know the basics and want to hone their skills.

The decibel tests will be held at the university's field house parking lot on June 13 and 14 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Old 06-13-2006, 12:57 AM
millzog
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 118 Likes on 113 Posts

ORIGINAL: cajunrph

Makes you sad. Some folks out enjoying a ride on the bike when it all ends because of a careless action of a cager. Wonder what will happen to the cager for ending the lives of two people? I do not wish ill will on anyone but cagers need to know that there will be consequences for their actions. If you are careless and cross the center line and kill someone there should be consequences for that greater than a small fine.
The people in the cars need to watch for people on the bikes,just as the bike riders are watching those people in the cages. (Come on there was a big bike event and people still don`t see the bikes ) [sm=confused06.gif]

Old 06-13-2006, 01:08 AM
lapisblue
Tourer

The bike hit the car.........

quote:

ORIGINAL: cajunrph

Old 06-13-2006, 02:02 AM
rrlavigne
Cruiser

Seems to me as motorcyclists we like to blame "cagers" for the accidents but keep in mind ... WE are also cagers. The vast majority of us drive cars much more than our bikes, in the north because of the long winters. It's not really Us VS Them ... we ARE them. As bikers perhaps we're a little more aware than non-motorcyclists BUT we ALL do dumb *** things every now and then. And if you read both the reports in regard to these accidents in both cases it was the motorcyclist who caused the accidents by crossing the yellow line. Perhaps looking at the sites rather than paying attention to the road or driving roads they don't know to quickly. As I said in another post there are a lot of great but potentially dangerous roads in Laconia and the White Mountains. Drivers of all types have to be on their toes.

Another thing struck home to me personally reading this story. The woman not wearing a helmet had to go through major HEAD surgery. I fully support a person's right to decide to wear a helmet or not wear one but for me ... I'll wear the cap. The only vegetables I want to deal with are the ones on my dinner plate ... I don't want to be one of them.

Well, For these pore souls as with the other three bikers who got killed my prayers go out to them and their families.

Old 06-13-2006, 02:03 AM
valvestem
Road Captain

Remind me not to go to Laconia.

Quick Reply: 2 more dead going to Laconia bike week