General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winterize Tips?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 10:26 AM
DarrellDeluxe
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winterize Tips?

Hey all! I am a proud new owner of a Softail Deluxe (My first Harley btw). Just got the bike Tuesday night. I would like to tap into the wealth of knowledge from all of you out there about the best way or tips for winterizing my bike during the down months. I live in Seattle so there is alot of rain and sometimes snow during the winter. Anything you all know out there would be greatly appreciated!

Old 09-03-2009, 10:45 AM
Classic Eagle
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used to live in Ohio where it gets pretty cold and snow in the off months. Only thing I did was keep fresh gas in it and a battery tender and a cover. I used to start it up at least once a week. For long time storage, use seafoam or stabill in the gas to keep it fresh.

Old 09-03-2009, 10:57 AM
TheBlackBastard
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you planning on riding during the winter or storing the bike til spring? I live in SLC and we get some brutal winters here. I usually store my bike from December to March. During that time, I do this:

(1) Fill the tank with gas - No additives (I've never used them and never have had problems). Fill it all the way up so no moisture can accumulate in the tank.

(2) Put the bike up on a lift (Sears Craftsman motorcycle jack). Let the suspension rest and no flat spots on the tires.

(3) Plug in the battery tender

If there's any projects I want to do, this is when I do them, so I'm ready to ride when it's time.

Old 09-03-2009, 10:58 AM
cadman311
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sale the bike to somebody that can ride.

Old 09-03-2009, 10:58 AM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

What Classic Eagle said. However! Do not start your bike during storage periods unless you plan on running it long enough to get to full operating temperature. Otherwise this will promote excessive condinsation in the bike. You are better off not starting over a period of time then the occasional fire up.

Old 09-03-2009, 11:12 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

If you want to keep the dust off it use a bedsheet, most covers trap moisture.
Full tank of gas (add Stabil then run it for a few minutes if it's going to be stored for more that 3 months).
If it's close to needing it, change the oil before storing, not after. Don't store it with dirty oil.
Use a battery tender.

Old 09-03-2009, 12:13 PM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 15,164 Likes on 6,705 Posts

You're depressing me. I live close enough to the WI border to smell cheddar, and I'm not putting it away for another 3 months.

To answer your question, move the couch into the garage. That way there is space for your bike in the living room.

Old 09-03-2009, 12:20 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by Pumba11
What Classic Eagle said. However! Do not start your bike during storage periods unless you plan on running it long enough to get to full operating temperature. Otherwise this will promote excessive condinsation in the bike. You are better off not starting over a period of time then the occasional fire up.
Excellent advise, though I'd suggest investing in some heated gear and riding.

Old 09-03-2009, 12:46 PM
TI06
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I ride occassionally in the winter so I don't totally winterize. Here's what I do
-Full tank of gas (I add stabilizer)
-Bike up on lift
-Covered with breathable Harley cover(an old sheet will work fine), just make sure it's a breathable cover if indoors
-Hook up battery tender(battery on bike)
-I never start my bike up unless I'm going for a ride of at least an hour, bike gets to operating temperature and burns off any condensation. If you take short trips the heat generated creates moisture which turns oil to sludge.
-My service manual says to remove plugs and add a bit of oil in each cylinder and crank over engine 5-6 revolutions and reinstall plugs.I don't do this one.

If my bike was gonna sit for 3 0r 4 months I would change my fluids also. I just keep my current schedule.

Old 09-03-2009, 12:51 PM
Sammi
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by piasspj
If you want to keep the dust off it use a bedsheet, most covers trap moisture.
Full tank of gas (add Stabil then run it for a few minutes if it's going to be stored for more that 3 months).
If it's close to needing it, change the oil before storing, not after. Don't store it with dirty oil.
Use a battery tender.

+1.

Sammi

Quick Reply: Winterize Tips?