General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Music while riding? Is it a riding sin? Trying to break down the wind noise.

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 06:58 AM
cadman311
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use my cell phone MP3 songs with bluetooth S9 head set. You could use Transmitter in your I pod with the same type of bluetooth S9 head set.

Attached Thumbnails Music while riding?   Is it a riding sin?  Trying to break down the wind noise.-wireless-bluetooth-headset-s9.jpg  
Old 09-04-2009, 07:33 AM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA. South Carolina to be exact.
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I use earplugs when I'm on the road. Wind noise in my ears really bothers me. I have some heairng loss, but the wind just seems to really mess w/my hearing.

Old 09-04-2009, 08:54 AM
1Coastie
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PigInaBlanket
Get some Skull Candy ear buds. I have the Inkd Smokin Buds from them and I can hear my Creative MP3 player at less than full volume doing 70mph with no windshield, skid lid and loud Short Shot pipes. They do tend to block out most all other noises but then at 70mph with no ear buds in I can't hear hardly anything over the wind anyways.
+1 These are what I used when riding the Fatboy, they worked great.

Old 09-04-2009, 10:09 AM
Joe Diver
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

VModa Vibe Duo connected to my Zumo....

Old 09-04-2009, 12:48 PM
nferr
Road Master
Received 220 Likes on 98 Posts

I too use the JVC Marshmallows from Wal-Mart. Not bad and pretty cheap, just make sure you insert them pretty tight or the music is drowned out at highway speeds. If you're just looking to cut out wind noise though nothings better than just a pair of earplugs. Of course if you want music too than it's time for the MP3 player and earphones.

Old 09-04-2009, 02:03 PM
donohu90
Intermediate

Originally Posted by oct1949
Working in Safety for yrs, One thing we banned at work was headphones.. I wouldn't let either one of my sons use them either.. They can and will with prolonged use damage Ur hearing if used to over ride loud noise to begin with..

I've used (EAR) ear plugs for yrs and they are the barrell type roll up that fit in Ur ear. There is also and correct way to install them. Do some searches if U really want to learn how.
I was worried about the damage that using headphone would cause too, but with the noise isolation ear buds it's quieter than just riding with V&H pipes and your ears with will last longer. Keep in mind the Shure Noise Isolation headphones are essentially foam earplugs with speakers inside of them. I've had other types of noise isolation headphones that use the rubber flange type earpieces and they do not work nearly as well.

Last edited by donohu90; 09-04-2009 at 02:07 PM.
Old 09-04-2009, 02:57 PM
KopperTop
Road Captain

Originally Posted by duoglider
I've found that being one with my thoughts is good zen therapy.
Actually, proper Zen therapy is getting AWAY from your thoughts, i.e., making the little voice in your head shut the hell up. Music helps me do that while riding.

Old 09-04-2009, 11:06 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

I only use one ear plug, the right side.
I don't want to lose all of the surrounding sound... for obvious reasons.

Old 09-08-2009, 03:08 PM
Big_Lou
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonn2002
Thanks all for the earbud advise.

Is there a 1/2 face helmet available were the straps are better positioned to not create the wind noise effect?

Great question, I was wondering the same thing.

Old 09-08-2009, 04:22 PM
screamn_eagle
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by duoglider
For me riding is my time away from the world. In 40 years of riding I've never listened to music while on the bike. I've found that being one with my thoughts is good zen therapy. And in today's world we are constantly bombarded with information and media. Separating myself from it whenever possible is a welcomed change of pace. To each his own though.
+1 on that. i had 2 bikes in a row with stereos....i dont miss the tunes at all. its way more relaxing to just ride

Quick Reply: Music while riding? Is it a riding sin? Trying to break down the wind noise.