General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Music while riding? Is it a riding sin? Trying to break down the wind noise.

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 04:50 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 12,256 Likes on 4,783 Posts

This will help to filter the wind noise.

Attached Thumbnails Music while riding?   Is it a riding sin?  Trying to break down the wind noise.-worlds-longest-ear-hair-20889-1234896341-3.jpg  
Old 09-01-2009, 05:05 PM
Buddha4
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Try Etmyotic ER6i for earbuds.

Old 09-01-2009, 05:21 PM
iceman336
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I run a bluetooth A2DL capable modular when I want to listen to music. Ties right in to my cellular phone (which doubles as an MP3 player). Here's my helmet and review.
A2DL is important if you go bluetooth as streaming music won't work without it.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/gener...ar-helmet.html

Old 09-01-2009, 05:25 PM
Just-a-Guy
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got a pair of these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00..._ya_oh_product

And cut the clips off them and put velcro on them and stick them inside my full coverage helmet. Much superior to ear-bud type things (I hate those things), not only in comfort but also in sound. And they ain't goin' nowhere. I plug them into my iRiver mp3 player and put it in my pocket. Only disadvantage is, I have to either rip out the plug or pull the thing out and turn it down if I need to stop the sound. I will probably end up getting some sort of handlebar mount for it.

I have been trying to figure out the best way to adapt this to a half-helmet, as I only wear the ff on the highway or in cold weather. I've seen some "ear covers" that go on the straps of half-helmets, and of course they could be made easily. This it seems to me is the best approach.

But really, in my experience the windshield is the only way to stop the noise. I have a National Cycle "Switchblade" windshield -- snaps on and off in 5 seconds, and is solid as a rock. Great product. And much less $$ than the HD quick-disconnect ws.

Old 09-01-2009, 06:56 PM
Captain Itch
Sponsor
Received 616 Likes on 332 Posts

I wear an Ipod or something like that around my neck with some decent in the ear buds. The buds use to let to much wind noise or whatever,so here is how I fixed the problem
I shoot guns and always have disposable ear plugs laying around.You want the kind that squish and the expand back to shape,very inexpensive.Cut 1 plug in half push a hole in to it and replace those flimsy little rubber doo dads.Mine stay in my ear and work and sound well.Plus your mobile to walk in to a store or whatever.. Legal to have them on while operating a motor vehicle? Doubt it..

Old 09-01-2009, 07:40 PM
ChopinRockwooD
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

100% of the time I have custom molded ear Monitors in my ears. They Cut down on the wind noise about 75% and I can just hear my Rineharts at idle. When I crack the throttle they light up and I can hear them but with up to 26 dB of ambient sound isolation for protection and enjoyment they are a treat for listening to music from my ipod. The ones I got are the:
Personal Audio Monitor

Personal Audio Monitors provide absolute comfort with a secure fit and low-profile styling. The custom design allows up to 26 dB of ambient sound isolation for protection and enjoyment. They're ideal for motorcyclists due to the maximum ear protection against wind and bike noise, while comfortably resting under a helmet. Also ideal for MP3 players, computers or gaming systems.

http://www.protectyourhearing.ca/Motorsports.html

They do not fall out like the Shure or Bose. Excellent and well worth the Money if you like to listen to music while riding.

Chop.

Old 09-01-2009, 08:01 PM
cdestuck
Supporter
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 216 Likes on 102 Posts

No problem on the Ultra with the speakers. On the Deuce, use the mp3 qith earplugs. Feel I call still here a horn or other important stuff.

Old 09-01-2009, 08:29 PM
Araba Shriner
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use noise canceling ear buds. Works great and the sound quality is very good.

Old 09-01-2009, 10:29 PM
Jonn2002
Cruiser

Thanks all for the earbud advise.

Is there a 1/2 face helmet available were the straps are better positioned to not create the wind noise effect?

Old 09-01-2009, 11:44 PM
Rabbit_
Road Captain

I use a pair of the Titan earbuds from Skullcandy with my ipod.
They come with foam tips that are like those foam earplugs, you just give them a pinch and pop them in your ears and they're just like earplugs, they're that good at blocking out noise.
They sound good at all speeds and they stay in place with a half helmet.

Quick Reply: Music while riding? Is it a riding sin? Trying to break down the wind noise.