General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmets and glasses

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2006, 11:34 PM
skid jackson
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Helmets and glasses

Thinking about an hd and wondering about a helmet set up. I'm a life time dirtrider and fully believe in full coverage helmets. I road raced a bit and have some time on the road. In the dirt I've had a lot of stuff bounce off my head and face. On the road I caught an acorn in the face shield at 55 mph. Not only did it snap my head back pretty damn good, it almost peeled my hands off the bars. I shudder to think what would have happend if i was wearing a shorty or open face 3/4 with just my glasses on. Ever since that i've been always a bit leary about open face helmets. Not sure how good of a deflector he bat wing is. Not into the full size windsheild as i don't like looking through sheilds. However for cruising around shorty's don't look too bad and i could see popping one on for a ride. The one thing i have no faith in as far as protection goes is my eye glasses. Unfortunately i need them to see. The aforementioned acorn would have blown right through my eye glasses and ended up in my eye or maybe even brain!! On top of that i don't believe they will provide much in the way of wind protection. I guess i could always buy a different set of glasses with bigger lenses/better design for wind protection. But thats another $450. What are you other eyeglass wearing riders doing for eye protection. Sorry no contacts or lazik suggestions please. Are there any kind of over the glasses goggles that would work with a shorty/ 3/4 helmet? Not into prescription goggles either. Would like to get by with one set of glasses. Do you just ride with your regular glasses. Maybe i'll just be the red headed step child of the hd crowd and ride an flht with my full coverage arai!! Too bad it doesn't have Valentino Rossi Graphics instead of the staid old solid white!!! Anyone got any advice/suggestions.

Old 06-11-2006, 12:15 AM
Motogo
Road Captain
Default RE: Helmets and glasses

I have a RK witha full wind shield , but I'm tall , 6'3" and look over the wind shield about 5-6 inches
I wear a half helmit made by Bell , and in daytime where Wrap around sunglasses that fit real close very little wind gets around them, at night I where clear biker glasses with a wind seal behind them
I have never been hit by an acorn , but have had rocks bounce up off the road and hit me in the face at 60 + never knocked me back or anything but it did hurt like hell for a minute or 2 usually I can see them coming and tilt my head down and let the helmit take the blow , but sometimes not,
I like the half helmit and choose to deal with the knocks when they happen.

Don't know if thats the info you wanted to hear, just my 2 cents and my Honest oppinion.

[IMG]local://upfiles/8922/BAF943838FD44F7C8DCF9C955DD5DFF5.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-11-2006, 12:27 AM
jrtexas
Advanced

Half Helmet and wrap arounds from Home Depot. Use the yellow ones for my 5 am ride to work.

Old 06-11-2006, 01:39 AM
RDKingRider
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1/2 helmet with ironman wrap around sunglasses from wally world and good night riding glasses with foam backing,never been hit by anything except bugs,oh yea,a mutant attack **** squirrel of death.........[sm=biker2.gif]

Old 06-11-2006, 02:00 AM
sxs hillbilly
Outstanding HDF Member

I wear prescription specs, and a half helmet if I wear a helmet at all. I have a kinda narrow windshield on my Wide Glide, and my Missus got me an Aero Vest for Christmas. All this helps quite a bit but I recently found some goggles at a Harley shop that fit over my glasses, and have interchangeable lenses--dark and clear. They're called Big Ben goggles, and the box says they "fit over most glasses". They're kinda hot if your just sitting at a light etc, and mine fog up some too, but clear right up when I start moving. The best I remember they were about $35 or $40, and they don't look like scuba diving googles either.

Old 06-11-2006, 02:25 AM
skid jackson
Cruiser

thanks sxs
I did a search and found them. Might be what i'm looking for

http://www.maximumeyewear.com/produc...engoggles.html

these might work. Look a bit scuba ish tho.

http://www.maximumeyewear.com/produc...e-goggles.html

Old 06-11-2006, 02:32 AM
Bear64
Banned

Skid, are you calling me a red headed stepchild?? cause I wear a fullface Arai all the time, I have a 4 inch black windshield on my FLHT.. works for me, I also wear my regular glasses under it, sometimes I flip the shield up for a little more air but normally no, and if I come up on a truck or something on the road I flip it right back down. have had rocks and junk bounce off of my helmet plenty of times..dare to be different, get a couple of cool decals for your Arai, I have Micky Mouse on one of my white ones.[sm=biker.gif]

Old 06-11-2006, 03:00 AM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

There are a lot of us that wear full face.

You should do what you are comfortable with. It doesn't sound like you are going to forget that acorn any time soon. How will that affect your enjoyment while wearing a half helmet?

It doesn't make you a dork to wear protection. It makes you a dork to worry about what everyone will think and do something you aren't comfortable with.

Old 06-11-2006, 09:05 PM
GeezerGlider
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: Rhubarb

There are a lot of us that wear full face.
I hear that and yet I can't remember ever seeing a Harley rider with a full face. I wear one, and fellow riders look at me like I was from Mars. At least around here, Harley riders wear no helmets or a shorty, bowing to the image gods.

Old 06-11-2006, 10:53 PM
Bear64
Banned

bowing to the image gods.

I'm happy to say I don't do that, and I can honestly say in all my travels I have never had anybody say anything to me about wearing a fullface helmet.. I do know that there are some folks that think its cool not to wear one, and I support them for that..it should be up to the person if they want to wear one or not..I'm quite sure I get some strange looks when I go to a Abate Rally in Iowa that is a helmet free state with my helmet on.. But as I said its the riders choice in Iowa and I choose to wear one..[sm=biker.gif]

Quick Reply: Helmets and glasses