General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmets and glasses

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2006, 11:17 PM
BlueShift
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Helmets and glasses

I wear a Bell 3/4 helmet w/pull down shield for longer rides on the interstate and wear a Fulmer "smoothie" half helmet w/HD profile gasketed glasses for country roads and around town.
Just remember Safety Has No Quitting Time.

Old 06-12-2006, 12:23 AM
ccgobama
Road Warrior

This is my setup. Half with rag and Half Jacketed Oakley's

Old 06-12-2006, 12:33 AM
Mac57
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Right now I wear a 3/4 HD helmet with goggle/glasses. For foul weather I attach the flip shield. Only problem with the glasses is that the end of the ear piece gets pressed into my head and hurts after about an hour in the saddle. Ordinary shop saftey glasses are more comfy, but don't block out all the little particles that come swirling in behind the lenses. I am serioulsy thinking of going back to a full face though. I wore full faces for years until I got tired of them. Too heavy, hot, etc..... BUT...I have seen some bad facial injuries over the past couple years. I'd rather deal with some discomfort rather than risk having my nose or jaw removed from my head.

Old 06-12-2006, 01:20 AM
thumper 29
Outstanding HDF Member

I use a Jafrum German half helmet, it is DOT approved, and I have found that this helmet is very comfortable
and has some pretty decent padding. I used it on an all day ride, and the thing was very comfortable to use
all day! Wife liked it so much I ordered her one too.

As far as glasses go here are some nice ones that are interchangeable, for either sunglasses, goggles, clear, tinted
or you can even order a prescription lens for them!
http://www.bikerneeds.com/Interchang...b-roadhog2.htm

Old 06-12-2006, 01:46 AM
skid jackson
Cruiser

some good replies there. As far as glasses for riding i was really looking for guys who rode with their perscription glasses and was wondering what they used over them, if anything at all. I was thinking a shorty would be good for around town and short hops. And i'd let my full coverage freak flag fly on longer jaunts!!

Old 06-12-2006, 06:37 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Around town I wear a 1/2 helmet with goggles over prescription glasses.

On trips I wear Nolan full face helmet. It does have the flip-up face and chin bar for ventilation when riding through towns, etc.

Old 06-12-2006, 11:08 AM
Bigfoot
Tourer

There are some fantastic newer full face buckets out there - Give them a look. I wear an ok HJC full face, however its ventalation leaves something to be desired. I have heard the new Shoei X11 has fantastic breeze like ventalation. I may give one of those a try.
Full face is the way to go if you are concerned about splitting the old pumpkin.

I guess I am not worried about looking cool - if that is that case I would probably ride a nicer bike that went faster than 65mph with a tail wind

Old 06-12-2006, 02:43 PM
FireHawk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: sxs hillbilly

I wear prescription specs, and a half helmet if I wear a helmet at all. I have a kinda narrow windshield on my Wide Glide, and my Missus got me an Aero Vest for Christmas. All this helps quite a bit but I recently found some goggles at a Harley shop that fit over my glasses, and have interchangeable lenses--dark and clear. They're called Big Ben goggles, and the box says they "fit over most glasses". They're kinda hot if your just sitting at a light etc, and mine fog up some too, but clear right up when I start moving. The best I remember they were about $35 or $40, and they don't look like scuba diving googles either.
I have those as well. I got mine from J&P for $20.00 (just tinted lenses though) Love em.

Old 06-13-2006, 10:50 PM
Optical
Advanced

In town I use half helmet and Panoptx sunglasses, I had Eye Masters cut the prescription lens for them and they work great. I also have a full face that i use for long rides and can use either my daily glasses or the Panoptx.