Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What i saw at the dealer

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2006, 11:33 AM
vernh59
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default What i saw at the dealer

The other day I was looking around at the service desk (waiting for an answer on something) when I spotted two large pieces of plastic laying on the counter. On closer inspection I found they were the worn through, burned up remains of the primary chain support shoe. UNBELIEVABLE! All that was left was the bottom layer, the upper arch and the metal was gone. The tech told me that they both came in recently with a "funny noise" from the motors. When they opened the primary cover there was a pile of melted plastic and other trash in there and what LITTLE oil was about 150 weight goo. Other than your drain plug falling out on the road I can't figure out how anybody could let that happen. What do you think? 50 lashes with what's left of the primary chain?[>:][>:]

Old 06-10-2006, 03:09 PM
DGlide04
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: What i saw at the dealer

That's why it is up to us to check this stuff and not lead it to anyone else. Frankly, if I was the tech on the phone when someone called to say they needed an appointment because of a "funny noise from the engine" I would get a chuckle. We spend big bucks for these bikes and it seems well worth the owner's time to spend an hour or so reading the owner's and service manuals for basic part ID and maintenance.

The typical owner does not have to be a master wrench, or even do his own maintenance, but come on, can we get more specific than "a funny noise"? If I've misread the post I apologize. I would f'n strangle someone at the dealership if it was THEIR tech that described the problem as a funny noise. I really hope that this was the owner's description.

Old 06-10-2006, 04:07 PM
vernh59
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I really hope that this was the owner's description.
It was. The tech was "paraphrasing" I suppose but the owners (2) said their motors were making "a funny noise."[sm=confused06.gif] I can see how it would.
I went home and opened my primary, just to see.

Old 06-10-2006, 05:48 PM
BigGeorge
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This can happen to anyone believe me. When I took my new 1997 Fatboy to the dealer for the 500 mile checkup (in 1997 they did a 500 mile check) they drained all fluids and supposedly refilled all 3 compartments. Well guess what, they forgot to put anything in my primary. I rode the bike 4 miles home and the dealer was on the phone when I pulled into the driveway. He told me not to drive the bike that he was sending someone out to get it. They trailered it back to the shop, opened up the primary and checked for damage. Luckily none was done and this time they put oil back in. The dealer was nice enough to guarantee he would fix for free any damage in the primary for as long as I owned the bike....................BG

Old 06-10-2006, 11:31 PM
TCBurke
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: BigGeorge

This can happen to anyone believe me.
Well, I can attest to that. I got a brand new FXST in '84. Also got the FSM to go along with it. When I did the first service I followed the instructions to the letter. Only one problem. There was a mid-year production change that sealed the primary instead of oiling it in common with the crankcase. You guessed it, a "funny noise" soon appeared. Cost me a new tensioner shoe and a new chain.

'Course, these days I figure I'd quickly notice if all the oil somehow got out of my primary on its own.

Tim