General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyna Super Glide vs. Fat Boy

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2006, 12:41 PM
Mrkicks
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Dyna Super Glide vs. Fat Boy

I have an 05 SuperGlide and really like the ride. A few months ago I rented a Heritage Softail thinking it was the bike I really wanted. Honestly I found the ride on the SG to be smoother, but I like many of the features of more expensive bikes, like floor boards and heel shifter, bigger head lights, beefier forks and the full front fender.

At this point I have put in about $5000.00 worth of upgrades and chrome (at list price, actual cost 25% off list) I also bought my bike for $1000.00 under MSRP, so I did well. I have decided to keep it one more year, at least, because it really won't depriecate much more and I still enjoy it.

If I were to upgrade, I'd still have to do about the same amount of upgrades so it would be hard to justify switching bikes this soon. Heck I had my last bike 13 years, and waited a long time to get my 1st Harley. Bottom line is, if you can afford it, and it's your ultimate dream bike, or if you are disapointed with the SG, go for it.

Good Luck

Old 06-10-2006, 01:59 PM
stevent
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd rather have the Dyna myself. The only bike I'd trade mine for would be a new Road Glide. I didn't think any '06's even came with carbs. anymore

Old 06-10-2006, 03:24 PM
Philt
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My wife and I both ride softails. I have a Heritage Springer and she has a fatboy. they are both Evo motors, so they are both carbs. My wife went from a sportster to the fatboy. She is opnly 5'2", so we had to lower the sportster a lot and it made it kind of rough riding. She loves the fatboy. The ride is a lot different and it seems to "fit" her better. I had to lower it about 1 1/2 inces but she really didn't loose any ride comfort. Both of them have had the carbs re-jetted with Screamin Eagle kits and it made quite a bit of difference in the performance pretty cheaply. Screamin Eagle exhaust helped as well.
Just my .02
Phil

Old 06-10-2006, 06:28 PM
CraigC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've spent some time in the Fatboy saddle and really like `em. Always had a weakness for solid wheels too. However, I would not make that trade. I much prefer the riding position and unbridled "A" motor of the Dynas. That's 'my' opinion, for what it's worth. It's still your money.

Old 06-10-2006, 08:04 PM
Hughey79
Tourer

Those are the main reasons really. The floor boards the smoother ride with a bigger front tire the look and the look of the solid wheels. Simple upgrades to carbs and off you go for a lot less.
Still havent made up my mind fully as of yet, probably going to call some dealers on Monday and see what else is out there. My local dealer is not really giving me the attention I feel I deserve especially since it would be my second bike from them.
Maybe I should switch to the salesman I really wanted to work with rather than the one I am with. The one I wanted wasnt available at first.

Old 06-10-2006, 09:50 PM
Cryptoboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,415 Posts

ORIGINAL: Hughey79

Those are the main reasons really. The floor boards the smoother ride with a bigger front tire the look and the look of the solid wheels. Simple upgrades to carbs and off you go for a lot less.
Still havent made up my mind fully as of yet, probably going to call some dealers on Monday and see what else is out there. My local dealer is not really giving me the attention I feel I deserve especially since it would be my second bike from them.
Maybe I should switch to the salesman I really wanted to work with rather than the one I am with. The one I wanted wasnt available at first.
That would be classic! Switch salesmen! If you do switch dealers then you will have to deal with a long turnaround, especially on the service plan (those usually are dealer plans). Keep in mind the floorboards reduce your cornering. A friend of mine had a Fatboy (he upgraded to an EG Standard like I did), but he scraped his boards all the time. It was funny to watch, he'd hit the corner, sparks would come up, he'd just keep on going, leaving a nice trail of sparks!

I still think they're lowballing you too much on the trade-in though.

If you are going to be riding alot of two-up, I would recommend moving up to a touring bike instead. A RK, EG Standard, or Street Glide still have the 'bar hopper' looks (IMO of course), and are a world apart in comfort! Most of the people I ride with had softtails (I had a Lowrider), and a few Sporties. All of us (about 12 people) have gone to some type of touring bike now.

Old 06-10-2006, 10:43 PM
Fat_06
Tourer

The disc wheels are definitely a trademark for the Fatboy, But there is another option, and IMO the extra splash of chrome, especially on the black bike, looks great...

Old 06-11-2006, 06:52 AM
Hughey79
Tourer

Well I pretty much ride alone, my wife stays home with my boy and we are expecting our second in a few months so she doesnt ride with me.
I still never heard back from my dealer today on my pay off, and I dont have a statement to call and check.
So I guess I will do some more thinking on that one.
Also Fat_06 I like the spoke wheels thats what I have on my super glide but somethin is to be said bout solid wheels. Even if its just the rear that has solid and spoke up front I think that looks sweet as well.

Old 06-12-2006, 12:20 AM
wlbowers
Stellar HDF Member

Received 101 Likes on 44 Posts

Kelly puts the blue book retail at $11,150. This doesn't include any high ticket extras. They have a page to add value for those.

I saw one on ebay that had a buy it now for $12,950.

Chances are it would not take long to sell it. This is the season. It would be a plus if the warranty can be bought with it.

Good Luck

Old 06-12-2006, 10:29 PM
Hughey79
Tourer

Agree. I am thinking of getting it on ebay and going that route. Finally today I called and talked with a different salesman and he got me the info I needed. They gave me the pay off that my statement shows but didnt give me the final without interest. Plus I would get $1100.00 back for the extended warranty and I bought my bike from them my service plan (ie. oil changes and so on) would transfer to the new bike.
I am planning on calling eagle mark tomorrow to get my pay off info and maybe talk to other dealers.
Also I looked at both kbb and nada for values and got the 11000 as well. But heck even the new super glide standards are only 12,100.
I really really want a new smoother ride and bigger bike but dont want to take a complete loss. The other thing that bothers me is that I wont be able to find the bike I am looking to get when I get this figured out. Why is life so complicated?
Thanks again all.

Quick Reply: Dyna Super Glide vs. Fat Boy