General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

certified mechanics/mmi?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 06:34 PM
bastardmaker
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default certified mechanics/mmi?

thinking seriously about enrolling in MMI. anyone here work in the field? any info would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance. some of my questions include

is MMI over rated/ are there alternatives?
realistic earning potential upon graduation and after a few years experience?
what is the demand for mechanics/technicians like these days?
and how is the outlook for demand in the future?

thanks in advance

Old 08-28-2009, 06:40 PM
badwhine
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

pm me for specific info

Old 08-29-2009, 12:32 AM
bastardmaker
Road Warrior

anyone else?

Old 08-29-2009, 01:04 AM
qwispichkn
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no, but i did stay in a holiday inn express last night.

seriously, use the search option. number of posts on this subject

Old 08-29-2009, 01:46 AM
texas_speed_freak
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

ive been a tech for 5 years. did not go to MMI. what i can tell you is that it is pricey, you can get hired straight out of school but dont expect top dollar, winter sux a$$ for making any money in the field, and if your not mechanically inclined no amount of school is gonna make you a master tech. if you wanna know anything else send me a message with specific questions

Old 08-29-2009, 06:29 AM
Chainman
Tourer

I checked on MMI and Wyotech both for my daughter. After waying the pro's and con's
she starts at Wyotech in Oct. and yes she is mechanically inclined and rides quite well.

Old 08-30-2009, 04:20 PM
bastardmaker
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Chainman
I checked on MMI and Wyotech both for my daughter. After waying the pro's and con's
she starts at Wyotech in Oct. and yes she is mechanically inclined and rides quite well.

what about wyotech swayed you in that direction? Im looking at them now. thanks for pointing out another option.

Old 08-30-2009, 04:52 PM
badwhine
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Going to MMI or another school to be trained and certified sounds good and cost money. Upon graduation and entry into the real world fewer than 30% of MMI grads are still working in the industry after one year. Sitting in a classroom and working on a vehicle is one thing, working in a dealership where you must do it right the first time, everytime and make $$$ for the service dept is a different animal.

If a person has the apptitude, I suggest OJT and then let the dealer send you to school.

Old 08-30-2009, 07:32 PM
Chainman
Tourer
Smile

Originally Posted by bastardmaker
what about wyotech swayed you in that direction? Im looking at them now. thanks for pointing out another option.

I toured the facility and they have all state of the art equipment for starters. The day is broken up between classroom and hands on to keep boredom from setting in. The garage setup is like a dealers shop all training is much like a real world setup right down to teaching how to write service orders and deal with cusomers. I was impressed.
Wish I would have went when I was younger.

Old 08-30-2009, 08:43 PM
bastardmaker
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by badwhine
Going to MMI or another school to be trained and certified sounds good and cost money. Upon graduation and entry into the real world fewer than 30% of MMI grads are still working in the industry after one year. Sitting in a classroom and working on a vehicle is one thing, working in a dealership where you must do it right the first time, everytime and make $$$ for the service dept is a different animal.

If a person has the apptitude, I suggest OJT and then let the dealer send you to school.
what are some of the reasons for the high turn over rate? I would love to be able to find a place that would allow me to apprentice. I do have a mechanical backround(turbine mechanic), and a honorable service record. that would be cool if I could work from the ground up, which I would have no ploblem doing. I just dont know if thats a realistic option in this day in age, especially without any nepitism to help me out.

Quick Reply: certified mechanics/mmi?