General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hot weather jackets?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 09:20 PM
Locomikey
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hot weather jackets?

I'm a pretty new rider and like wearing a jacket in case I lay my bike down. I've got a nice leather one but it's too hot to wear this summer. Any recommendations for a hot weather jacket that doesn't look like I should be on a crotch rocket?

Thanks

Old 08-26-2009, 09:32 PM
NOLAMike
Road Master

Lots of mesh textile jackets out there--HD, tourmaster, joe rocket, fieldsheer, etc. Google "mesh motorcycle jacket" and shop away.

Old 08-26-2009, 09:42 PM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Locomikey
I'm a pretty new rider and like wearing a jacket in case I lay my bike down. I've got a nice leather one but it's too hot to wear this summer. Any recommendations for a hot weather jacket that doesn't look like I should be on a crotch rocket?
Not sure how a jacket would make you look like you should be on a crotch rocket. Perhaps, if your main concern is how you will look to the other boys, you should stick with something with a big Harley logo on it, and maybe a flaming skull, and a patch that says "Old bikers never die, they just kick your *** for looking at their jacket!"

I wear one of these. I call it my "Not a jacket"... heavy leather, but extremely vented - you can barely tell it's there most times. No idea what anyone else thinks I should be riding when I pull up wearing it.

http://www.leatherup.com/p/Mens-Moto...esh/42502.html

Old 08-26-2009, 09:42 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

yep, do a search on jackets and try to pick one U like.

Old 08-26-2009, 09:59 PM
Locomikey
3rd Gear

Maybe I didn't pick the best words. I guess I was trying to say I'm not into the bright colors and frilly stuff I see a lot of folks on crotch rockets wearing. I'm more of a simpleton. Didn't know mesh was the way to go, but now I do. And thanks for the kind words MidnitEvil...

Old 08-26-2009, 11:23 PM
50RACER
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have one of the Harley Ambler perforated leather jackets. The leather is not quite as heavy as most, but does a good job of keeping you cool. I was riding today in 90 degree weather and was comfortable while moving. Admittedly it gets a little warm when sitting at the traffic light, but I think that is going to be the case with any jacket. Here is one on ebay right now. They normally sell for over $300.00
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT

I also have a Fox Creek vented jacket. It also does a good job while moving. The leather is much heavier.

Old 08-27-2009, 12:19 AM
kromdom
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a leather jacket with removable side/arm panels to allow ventilation when it is hot. The same jacket has a zip-out liner for use when it gets cold. Call it a 2-in-1 jacket

Old 08-27-2009, 08:05 AM
psyco1
Road Master
Old 08-27-2009, 08:12 AM
cadman311
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like using kevlar jean jacket with vents. It's light armor jacket also. It's not as cool as a mesh jacket that I will also wear. But the jean jacket can zip the vent close as you get cooler days.

Old 08-27-2009, 08:13 AM
BWLucky13
Road Master

Yeah, that looks similar to my Joe Rocket Phoenix. This type of mesh jacket works very well in hot weather. The only hot spot is the spine armor in the back. So, I would look for a jacket with well ventilated back armor.

Quick Reply: Hot weather jackets?