General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer Dropped my Bike...the Saga Ends!

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 06:09 PM
scottwilliamson
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I didn't mean to flame you Roosterboot, but if you really want to challange my Honor, I've lived so long with these damn Yankees I'm not sure I have any honor left. All though I do have an authentic set of dueling pistols that have been past down over the years, but my ancestors must have been turn the other cheek types since they don't look like they have ever been fired.

Old 08-26-2009, 07:20 PM
Roosterboots
"Utopian Overlord"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool! C'mon down to Mississippi and we'll see if they work with Pyrodex! (flintlock or percussion?)

Dammit, this is why country boys never got into duelin'. One would bring the pistols, and th'other would go and bring beer. They'd waste all their ammo plinkin' and scarin' their horses.

Or they'd both bring pistols, and then a gun show would spring up.

Old 08-26-2009, 07:26 PM
confederate
Most Wanted
Received 806 Likes on 392 Posts

Originally Posted by Roosterboots
All the support I've experienced from the people on this forum makes it a pleasure to sit down and read. The only real flame I've been hit with so far is from that NITWIT FROM BILOXI who said I has a Yankee (spit!) accent. You are mistaken, sir, and I take umbrage! I would challenge your honor if it weren't for this damned cowardice that's been plaguing me of late.

I can think of nothing more insulting.

Old 08-26-2009, 07:29 PM
deadman77
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 89 Posts

I have been lucky to have great service at the 3 dealers I frequent. Its too bad there are still "old school" service departments. Those days are long gone. I am sure that you sent a long, detailed and professional letter of complaint to the dealer and copied it to the MOCO. Make sure that the dealer knows everyone on the forum is aware of the jackass way that they do business there. Its not much but all that you can do.
Glad it all turned out as well as possible. I just had an ordeal with US Airways. They basically stole about $500.00 from me but that is another story.
Good luck.
MikeM

Old 08-26-2009, 07:47 PM
Maxcustody
Elite HDF Member

Thanks for the heads up. I will cross that dealer off my list!

Old 08-26-2009, 07:58 PM
Roosterboots
"Utopian Overlord"

DEADMAN77 SAID:
I am sure that you sent a long, detailed and professional letter of complaint to the dealer and copied it to the MOCO.
HAH! You don't know me very well, do you? Hi, I'm RoosterBoots (aka "Roo", aka "Man of Feathers", aka "The Bipolar Chicken"). Glad'ta meet'cha! There's a previous thread around here somewhere...lemme see if I kin find it. It has my original letter of complaint (some say my opus)...oh, just do a search on "Roosterboots". Buried somewhere in my own personal pasture full o' horse manure is "Dealer Dropped my Bike...Now What?". That's the one you want. Have fun! (I sure did)

As my old Navy Mentor, Commander Bob ***, used to say: "A Wednesday spent without causing trouble is a Wednesday wasted."

Old 08-26-2009, 08:08 PM
JerryL....
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is done.

Yesterday, August 25th, 2009, I drove fifty miles to Chunky River Harley Davidson. My new gas tank had finally arrived!

For those who haven't followed The Adventures of RoosterBoots, my 2004 XL1200R had a ground short and stopped dead in the middle of a Walmart parking lot last June. Although I could have pushed the bike to the HD service entrance 1/2 mile away, the weather was too hot and the traffic was too thick. I agreed to pay their $50 tow charge. The tow driver did the job badly and my bike fell over inside their trailer. Lots of superficial damage, and a big ding in the gas tank. The estimated 12-week wait for a new tank would put a crimp in my plans to sell the bike. The whole story, plus angst, is in "Dealer Dropped my Bike...Now What?".

On Friday, Harley called to make arrangements for my new tank to be fitted. I told them that I was selling the bike and didn't want to put an additional 100 miles on it. I told them that I had recently torn a ligament in my leg and had to use a cane to get around....I didn't know whether I would have trouble driving it. I asked them if they could send a trailer.

"No. Just drive it in and leave it overnight."

I asked whether I could get a loaner for the day so that I could have a way to get home.

"No. That's your problem." I could, however, bring the bike in before 9:00 AM and it would be ready that afternoon, if I wanted to wait.

So I tucked my tail between my legs and drove the bike to the dealership yesterday morning. I have a nifty folding cane that I attached to the luggage rack so that I'd have a way to get around. Yeah, I like shopping at HD as much as the next guy.

The first thing I was told was that it might take a little longer. An 18-wheeler full of new Harleys had just pulled up and they needed to offload those first.

No problem. I'd just hobble over to the vending machine for a Hershey bar and a Dr Pepper ("Breakfast of Champions"). Then I hobbled to the showroom floor, ogled the new Softails, priced out some doo-dads, and looked over their boots.

Their one salesman came up to me while I was examining the seats on a 2010 Springer and said, "Excuse me." Then he stepped around me and went on his way. I was the only other human on the sales floor, but it was comfortint to know that I wasn't completely invisible.

Noon came quickly. I had a lunch date with Miz Roo at "CiCi's Pizza" at 12:15 sharp. The restaurant was located at the top of a steep hill, about 500 yards from Harley Davidson. I caught the service manager's eye and asked whether my bike would be finished within the next fifteen minutes.

"Prob'ly not. Why?" he asked.

I told him about the lunch date. I told him that if I had a choice between riding and walking, I prefer to ride. I held up my cane to help him understand my plight. I had been hobbling around for the last three hours. But now, he officially knew that I was in pain.

"Better get started, then," he said. Then he disappeared back into the service area.

I climbed the hill to CiCi's and had an enjoyable lunch. Miz Roo drove me back to Harley Davidson when it was over, and there on the concrete sat my Sportie...finished at last! Eight weeks to the day since Harley dropped it.

"Kudos" to whoever Harley paid to paint the tank. It is absolutely BEAUTIFUL.

"O'Craps" to whoever put the tank on, tightening it in such a way that the seat wouldn't fit properly, force-fitting the $15 hold-down screw, damaging its threads and losing the plastic insert.

"Kudos" for a good looking replacement fork.

"O'Craps" for not replacing the damaged clutch handle. Go back and demand that they do the work to my satisfaction? I'd rather have my ********* nibbled off by fluffy, rabid bunnies.

"O'Craps" for washing the bike and not drying it. A surprising amount of water remains in the Sporty's nooks and crannies, only making its presence known at speeds above 30 mph.

"Kudos" for a truly modern vending machine.

"O'Craps" for treating the customer like a freeloader.

My final evaluation of Chunky River Harley Davidson...ASTONISHED. You can't blame the economy or the frivolous treachery of Rubs for failing sales numbers until you first look into the mirror. No amount of technical expertise will ever make up for missed opportunities - the opportunity to loan a better machine (and cinch a future sale), the opportunity to help get the bike to the shop (and prove that their tow service is not unsalvagable), and the opportunity to drive a customer (who is obviously having trouble walking) to a restaurant two blocks away.

Instead, you took a lighthearted approach, gently laughing when telling me that, no...no...you couldn't POSSIBLY spare a loaner! And getting the bike to the service department was the customer's responsibility. A tow? Ha ha, out of the question! (Amusing chaps, these customers)

Remember that word..."customer." Those are people with money in their own pockets, high hopes for the future, and low expectations from Chunky River Harley Davidson in Meridian, Mississippi.
"O'Craps" to a wife that wouldn't drive 500 yards to pick you up, instead of making husband walk that far with a bad leg and a cane.

Old 08-26-2009, 08:21 PM
Roosterboots
"Utopian Overlord"

Now, now, Jerry. She was not yet on site and was, of course, unaware of my predicament. She had been told that I would have my bike LONG before lunch. Therefore, she had images of RoosterBoots on wheels, galavanting hither and yon around the local mall. Miz Roo is blameless, therefore pure and highly desirable.

Old 08-26-2009, 08:27 PM
JerryL....
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now, now, Jerry. She was not yet on site and was, of course, unaware of my predicament. She had been told that I would have my bike LONG before lunch. Therefore, she had images of RoosterBoots on wheels, galavanting hither and yon around the local mall. Miz Roo is blameless, therefore pure and highly desirable.
Apologies then.

Old 08-26-2009, 08:42 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

dont like any business that changes faces from the time U buy and the time U need something fixed under warranty..

Quick Reply: Dealer Dropped my Bike...the Saga Ends!