General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hypothetical situation

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009 | 09:20 PM
ThreatLevel Midnight
|
Road Master
Default Hypothetical situation

2 used bikes, identical in every way except one has carb and one is efi. Should either one command a higher price based only on that?
Thanks, amigos.

Old 08-25-2009 | 09:35 PM
Brooklyn Devil Dog
Road Captain

EFI should command a higher price: more reliable.

Old 08-25-2009 | 10:19 PM
rodnock
Road Warrior

Carb is cheaper and less costly to repair

Old 08-25-2009 | 10:38 PM
Lincoln33
Outstanding HDF Member

As you can see by the first two posts you're going to get answers based on opinions and what other people have a preference for; mine wont be any different. Some will tell you EFI performs better and is more reliable and it works better in changing elevations so it will cost more. Others will tell you that carbs are easier to work on and cheaper to fix so their just as valuable. Both answers are right in one way or another.

I have EFI and don't really care for the computer programmed electronics. I'm considering buying an older carburated bike so I can do more of the work myself without dealing with EFI, so a carburated bike would have more "value" to me.

In the end you'll be the one that decides which is more valuable based on what you want to do with the bike. Just my opinion here.

Old 08-26-2009 | 07:42 AM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Lincoln33
As you can see by the first two posts you're going to get answers based on opinions and what other people have a preference for; mine wont be any different. Some will tell you EFI performs better and is more reliable and it works better in changing elevations so it will cost more. Others will tell you that carbs are easier to work on and cheaper to fix so their just as valuable. Both answers are right in one way or another.

I have EFI and don't really care for the computer programmed electronics. I'm considering buying an older carburated bike so I can do more of the work myself without dealing with EFI, so a carburated bike would have more "value" to me.

In the end you'll be the one that decides which is more valuable based on what you want to do with the bike. Just my opinion here.
And IMFUO, this IS the determining factor, as to the "value" of each.

Me??? Obviously a 'carb' guy. I 'believe' EFI is more reliable, and in most instances, more tuneable, etc. BUT it requires more tools, and more technology, to "work with". Carbs are more "experience" orientated, rather than "instrument" orientated.

Old 08-26-2009 | 08:07 AM
H20DOG
Outstanding HDF Member

You pay more for the EFI when you buy the bike, so it would stand to reason that it would cost more than the carbed one at the time of resale.

Old 08-26-2009 | 08:34 AM
rodnock
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by H20DOG
You pay more for the EFI when you buy the bike, so it would stand to reason that it would cost more than the carbed one at the time of resale.

That statement is a mixed bag of nuts. The resale price on a used bike is dictated by what the seller is willing to accept and what the buyer is willing to pay. Condition, age, and mileage on a bike is a large factor also. There are way to many factors involved to say a used EFI bike will cost more than a used carbed bike. All things considered and if everthing mentioned above were exactly the same i don't think the difference in price would even be noticeable.

Old 08-26-2009 | 10:19 AM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member

Probably wouldn't make much difference if averaged out over many bike sales , but for me, I'd give more for the EFI. I've had both, and the EFI works way better for me!

Old 08-26-2009 | 10:58 AM
EasternSP
Banned
Veteran: Marine Corp

I would think that the EFI bikes are newer so they would obviously cost more.

Old 08-26-2009 | 11:12 AM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member

I have both EFI and carbed bikes. Both seem to work just fine. Personally, I like to tinker and mess with stuff. That is why I prefer the carbed bikes. They are very easy to tweek. If you are not interested in tearing into your carborator occasionally, then the EFI may be right for you. I would not pay a premium though, to get EFI.

Quick Reply: Hypothetical situation