General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paid 1600 for lifetime service

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 06:46 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

I do 5K a year so that's one oil change and I do my own. If I put $1,600 in only a 5% yield investment that would provide $80 a year. I also install my own tires which I get off the internet with free shipping and no tax.

A rear tire on my softail lasts over four years. So I can do a rear tire and four fluid changes and be dead even after four years.

Maybe that's why I can pay cash for my rides.

The 07 softail is my oldest bike. I plan on trading for a 010.

Old 08-25-2009, 07:46 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 12,256 Likes on 4,783 Posts

Never used anything like that. Was home last week and went into Grand Canyon H-D to poke around a lil bit and saw that they are offering an extended warranty on their new bikes that refunds all your money at the end of the term if you don't use it. Thought that was a pretty fair deal. Don't know if that's a Harley program or just that dealer.

Old 08-25-2009, 08:45 PM
Uncle Scrooge
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by IronAss
Never used anything like that. Was home last week and went into Grand Canyon H-D to poke around a lil bit and saw that they are offering an extended warranty on their new bikes that refunds all your money at the end of the term if you don't use it. Thought that was a pretty fair deal. Don't know if that's a Harley program or just that dealer.
One of the metric dealers here has a similar offer. $1000 for 3 years, no deductible. But think about it. Are you going to go into them for a $75 item and thereby forfeit your $1000? You wouldn't ever know whether to make your first claim, unless you had a real whopper. Kinda reminds me of "Deal or No Deal."

Old 08-25-2009, 09:18 PM
TXSwede
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Sure wish I would have had one in place when my effin stater went south and tore up a bunch of stuff internally 6 weeks after my 2 years were up and the Moco wouldn't do squat for me!!

BUT I'M OVER IT NOW!!!!!!!

Old 08-25-2009, 09:18 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,113 Likes on 3,655 Posts

$1600.00 would cover the costs if you calculate with the price a dealer charges but if you do your own wrenching you lose big time...in 2 years i have changed my oils and fluids maybe 7 times now in 37k miles but i would say i have spent about $500.00 at the most???

Old 08-25-2009, 11:56 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 12,256 Likes on 4,783 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Scrooge
One of the metric dealers here has a similar offer. $1000 for 3 years, no deductible. But think about it. Are you going to go into them for a $75 item and thereby forfeit your $1000? You wouldn't ever know whether to make your first claim, unless you had a real whopper. Kinda reminds me of "Deal or No Deal."
That's the way I was lookin at it also.

Old 08-26-2009, 08:46 AM
WildBill_50
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I bought one of those Serice plans for 3 years, I don't remember exactly but I think it was around $750. I have owned the bike for just over 2 months now and it has been in for the 1K & 5K service. All I do is call the service dept and set up an appointment bring the bike in, go have lunch with the wife and maybe run a few errends. They will the call me when the bike is ready. Usually in about 2 hrs.

They also install a chrome oil filter and Syn3 oil plus they put Nitrogen in the tires and adjsuted the shocks at no charge. I have been quit happy with my dealer, not only did I get a good deal $1200 under MSRP and a good trade in on my sporty but I feel that they do go the extra mile to ensure I'm happy.

There are also 2 dealerships I can take the bike to for service as well, so for me it has been a lot easier to take it in and let them deal with all the mess and desposial of the fluids etc in about the same time it would take me to do the service that HD recommends.

Old 08-26-2009, 11:58 AM
2whlr4life
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,672 Likes on 1,514 Posts
Arrow lot's of P & A

Originally Posted by *NIGHT TRAIN*
Nope, no service plans or extended warranties for me...I always say, Consumer Reports Magazine did research on those things and called them "the greatest ripoff ever perpetrated on the consumer."

You have to realize that if those things paid off for the customer that much, the dealer wouldn't be offering them...

BTW, I've had my bike for 3 years now, bought it from a dealer with one of the highest customer satisfaction ratings in the state, and I absolutely trust them...but my bike has never been in the shop for any reason...I do my own fluid changes and maintenance, and I'm real sure that everything I've done hasn't costed anywhere near $1600...

Just think of what you could put on your bike for $ 1600. If you buy a manual and do it yourself, you'll be even richer!

Old 08-26-2009, 04:48 PM
yoacedeuce
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default extended service warranty

The dealer here where i live offer an "extended service warranty," but i think it's $2100 (per year) and you pay a "co-pay" of something like $50 for any service done. Sounds like a rip-off to me, unless you plan on having every single service done on your bike at the dealer (where an oil change will cost you $200). I think the 10k mile service costs between $700-$900, depending what dealer you go to. That $85/hour labor will always get you.

Old 08-26-2009, 10:14 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

I pass on extended warranties..I usually ask them when asked, isn't Ur product any good as most have some kind of standard warranty..

Quick Reply: Paid 1600 for lifetime service