General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ran Out of Gas Stories

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 07:09 PM
TeamXtreme
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ran Out of Gas Stories

I was having some issues with my reserve, so when my tank got to 100 miles, it started chugging. I switched on the reserve, and it was fine. I figured that I have a 5+ gallon tank (Supposed to be a 6 gallon stretch) and at 32 miles per gallon, I should get at a minimum of 160 miles to a tank. Well, I was going to push it to really figure it out, and at 152 miles, that's the end of the road. I pulled over, and looked into the tank. I could see a little bit if I rocked the bike back and forth. So I rocked the bike to get the gas to slosh forward towards the petcock. It was enough to get the bike running, and I rode almost another mile by hitting the brakes and getting the gas in the rear of the tank to slosh towards the front and get a little more gas to the carbs. It was just enough to get me to the gas station off the exit ramp. Guess I now know exactly how far I can go on a single tank....153.6 miles.

P.S. It took exactly 4.800 gallons of gas.

Old 06-07-2006, 07:47 PM
BIGSKY_FLHXI
Road Master
Default RE: Ran Out of Gas Stories

I found out yesterday that I can go exactly 191 miles on a tank.....Not a foot further. Missed the gas station by half a block. The glide is dang heavy to push up a hill. [sm=headbang.gif]

Old 06-07-2006, 08:26 PM
vernh59
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I was making sure that all that crap was burned out of my reserve so I ran it on reserve all the way to empty.[:@][sm=headbang.gif] Looking back on it I should have run the reserve for awhile and switched back to main (like I do now). To make it worse it was the coldest day of the year and 6AM. Boy, what it takes to learn sometimes.[&o]

Old 06-07-2006, 09:30 PM
cajunrph
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts

I once found out that my Buell XB12S went 136 miles on a tankfull.[:@] No hills to push up in South Texas was my saving grace.

Old 06-07-2006, 10:33 PM
AK_Hog_Herder
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I haven't run out yet.

But there were a couple of places on the Alcan in the Yukon where I was makin' some mighty big promises if I could reach the next gas station.

You know the ones.

"I promise to be good and go to church and not be mean to anyone, etc."

Then when you round that last curve or top the last hill you look up and say, "Never mind, I got it covered."

Old 06-07-2006, 10:36 PM
Softbutt
Tourer

I ran out Sunday, thank goodness for resereve!!!!!!

Old 06-07-2006, 10:38 PM
2005UltraNC
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did the same exact thing with my Ultra. But, I wasn't testing the distance of cleaning out the reserve. Just that the baggers have a real major issue with accurate fuel gauges. was in the shop for the third time and they messed with the gas level (suppose testing) - so I thought they got the guage more accurate. But, no, gauge still not accurate. Only for sure thing is the odometer.

Old 06-11-2006, 02:20 AM
Garrison1383
Cruiser

I ran out of gas 1x.... not on my harley though.... it was on my first sport bike when i was in college.... a suzuki katana 750.... i was riding to my parents house from college and had about 2 miles to go until the next highway exit when the bike started sputtering and coughing........ i kept the throttle wide open and chugged to the exit..... of course the exit was up a hill but luckily there is a gas station right at the exit.......

i made it up the hill...... the bike stalled just as i made the bend into the station.... and i only had to push it about 15yards to the pump

Now, i do get a little nervous on my roadking..... that gas guage will say 1/2 full and then all of a sudden that pin drops like crazy...... i've been getting about 180-190 miles per tank and thats will 93 octane

Old 06-11-2006, 02:34 AM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,851 Likes on 805 Posts

I haven't run out, but I've gone 300 kms (about 180 miles) and had less than 1/2 a gallon left ( put over 4.5 gallons in at the gas station). Now I was always under the impression that the reserve was 1 gallon... guess that ain't the case, as I never had to switch to reserve... makes me wonder just how far I could go on reserve if I ever need it!

Cheers!
[sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 06-11-2006, 04:23 AM
mikeisglidn
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

forgot keys to gas lid....................sucks

Quick Reply: Ran Out of Gas Stories