General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Big difference between 88 & 96? 5 vs. 6 speed?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 12:18 PM
1Coastie
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd say you may occasionaly reach for 6th gear when riding the 5 speed bike, I did when I had my 04. But then again, I occasionaly catch myself reaching for 7th on the 6 speed.

Old 08-25-2009, 12:25 PM
cadman311
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Milwaukee, WI - Harley-Davidson will launch an all-new Big Twin powertrain for 2007, as the Twin Cam 96/96B engine and 6-speed Cruise Drive transmission debut together on all Touring, Softail and Dyna models. The new engine, which will only be available with Electronic Sequential Port Fuel Injection (ESPFI), offers a nine percent increase in displacement and up to a 17 percent increase in torque (varies by model) over the Twin Cam 88/88B engines it replaces, and features a number of design enhancements making it more powerful, reliable and smoother.

The Twin Cam 96 produces up to 93 ft. lbs. of peak torque at 3500 rpm, compared to the Twin Cam 88 at up to 82 ft. lbs. at 3500 rpm.

The 6-speed Cruise Drive transmission, which was introduced on the Dyna family in 2006, features gear ratios optimized to match the torque curve of the new Twin Cam 96/96B engines. The addition of a higher-ratio sixth gear reduces top-gear rpm by 11 percent, compared to the previous 5-speed Big Twin transmission. At 75 mph, engine speed is reduced by 368 rpm, from 3227 rpm to 2859 rpm. Second through fourth gears have helical-cut teeth for quieter operation, and load carrying capacity has been increased significantly.

Old 08-25-2009, 12:29 PM
WillieC
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Had an 07 went back to an 06

The 07 has a little more power but not that much and I prefer the gear spacing on the 5 speed over the 6 speed. In fact I have had two 6 speed Harleys. If you are always on a four lane highway running over 70 mph the 6 speed would have a advantage.
If you put a 95 kit in the 88 TC it would be equal, some say faster than the 96 TC, but
of course if you ut a kit in the 96 then it would be faster. But who buys a Harley to race ??
Pre 07 Harleys are tried and true and run a WHOLE LOT COOLER which should equal loner engine life.

Originally Posted by Tony P
My '07 FDX is my first Harley. I've never ridden the 88 ci with 5 speed tranny. I have a line on an '04 Road Glide. I was wondersing if I would be constantly reaching for 6th gear with the RG or would it be a marginal difference, thus, not a deal breaker? .

Old 08-25-2009, 03:03 PM
norgepa
Road Captain

Originally Posted by WillieC
The 07 has a little more power but not that much and I prefer the gear spacing on the 5 speed over the 6 speed. In fact I have had two 6 speed Harleys. If you are always on a four lane highway running over 70 mph the 6 speed would have a advantage.
If you put a 95 kit in the 88 TC it would be equal, some say faster than the 96 TC, but
of course if you ut a kit in the 96 then it would be faster. But who buys a Harley to race ??
Pre 07 Harleys are tried and true and run a WHOLE LOT COOLER which should equal loner engine life.
OK, You have my attention. Why do you say the Pre-07's run a WHOLE LOT COOLER?

Attached Thumbnails Big difference between 88 & 96? 5 vs. 6 speed?-mvc-055s.jpg  
Old 08-25-2009, 03:08 PM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 350 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by WillieC
Since I would be using this RG as a touring rig, I would be running at 70+ most of the tme, but rarely above 80. I'm just concerned that I would be straining that baby for extended touring. I think someone here alluded that the touring models are geared diffrently. If that's the case, it may very well be a non-issue.

Old 08-25-2009, 03:41 PM
travroc
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you will miss the 6 speed tranny more than the cubic inches, but I would not consider either a deal breaker if you really want a bagger, and have a really good deal worked out on the 04 Road Glide.

Old 08-25-2009, 03:47 PM
jimsflh
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Like you said, just buy the second bike, if you don't like it, sell it for what you have into it. (If you get it for $10K, and clean it up, you might even make an extra happy meal or two on it)

Old 08-25-2009, 03:56 PM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 350 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by jimsflh
Like you said, just buy the second bike, if you don't like it, sell it for what you have into it. (If you get it for $10K, and clean it up, you might even make an extra happy meal or two on it)
LOL! I did find out today that he has the detachable riders backrest and passenger backrest with detachable luggage rack. Also, slip-ons with re-map, Alarm system and a taller windshield for touring. Of the 7,600 miles on the odometer, most were obtained on a handful of long trips - no bike nights or bar hopping stuff. It mostly sits. He's located not too far from the house, so I think I will take a look at it...

Old 08-25-2009, 04:04 PM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,664 Likes on 946 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony P
Since I would be using this RG as a touring rig, I would be running at 70+ most of the tme, but rarely above 80. I'm just concerned that I would be straining that baby for extended touring. I think someone here alluded that the touring models are geared diffrently. If that's the case, it may very well be a non-issue.
I don't think the extra displacement or the sixth gear will make a noticeable difference in your touring experience. Cruising effortlessly at 80 MPH is not a problem for any Harley touring bike made since 1985. I am told that the '09 touring bikes are greatly improved over the earlier ones. I suppose I'll ride one someday, but for now my '03 EGC is a fine long distance bike. Perhaps the biggest advantage to an earlier TC is the fact that since so many new riders think they are deficient, their prices may be suppressed. You will lose the spec sheet and press release battle, but you'll have a few thou extra in your pocket for trips.

Old 08-25-2009, 04:46 PM
Seascape
Road Captain

5 speeds just take a few minutes to get used to a 75-80 mph. It sounds rough at first. I've ran my 5 speed 3 days straight before at 75-80 mph. It loves it!

My buddy rides w/ me has an ultra w/ a 6 speed..... its sick! At 80 mph he just lugs away from me. I have to really push my bike harder than i like to keep up w/ him and usually just let him go play..... he always waits up for me.

So I think you'll prefer the 6 speed but i dont think you regret the bike.

Quick Reply: Big difference between 88 & 96? 5 vs. 6 speed?