Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Damage Does Too Much Weight Cause?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 08:25 PM
homerandpooh
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What Damage Does Too Much Weight Cause?

My wife and I are over the GVWR for my bike, I am 350lbs and she is *censored for my protection*. Other than handling, which hasn't been an issue, what potential problems is this causing? Premature wear on the engine and transmission? Frame and swingarm failure? Tire failure? I'm concerned that we may have been lucky on our rides so far and I'm leary to push that luck any further. We did 200+ miles with a 30lb. bag strapped to the sissy bar and the bike felt sluggish.

When I bought the bike there wasn't any thought to going 2-up, if that had been known from the start I would have gotten a Street Glide or a Road King, so those of you who are going to tell me which bike I should get (or have gotten) don't bother.

Old 08-23-2009, 08:26 PM
jason628
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Greetings,

I think you hit the high notes...Probably the most noticable will be replacing the back tire more frequently than most.

Old 08-23-2009, 08:31 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Weight affects handling but wear on tire and bike should not be extreme. I would stay up on maintenance. Adjustments, lubes and air pressure.

Old 08-23-2009, 08:37 PM
Apendejo
Road Warrior
Received 523 Likes on 296 Posts

When me and the fatgirl load up for a trip we treat the Ultra like a pack mule. I also have a trailer that I tow behind the bike. So far no problems since new, '03, and the bike does not seem to care. 10-12 hour days on the superslab, hours on end thru mountain roads, desert, it's all good.
AP

Old 08-23-2009, 08:43 PM
Big Pig
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well, I'll get flamed for this and the OP will get pissed off. But as a former overweight dude myself I can say stop shoving food in your mouth and digging your own grave with a fork and then you won't have to worry about the GVW issue. I tell you this to help you not flame you, but only you can decide to do it.

Old 08-23-2009, 08:50 PM
homerandpooh
Tourer

Originally Posted by Big Pig
Well, I'll get flamed for this and the OP will get pissed off. But as a former overweight dude myself I can say stop shoving food in your mouth and digging your own grave with a fork and then you won't have to worry about the GVW issue. I tell you this to help you not flame you, but only you can decide to do it.
I'm not offended, I have mirrors- I know I'm fat ( at least I'm 6'2" or I would really be in trouble). Losing weight is a long term goal. I am worried about the damage to either the bike or us (from bike failure) in the short term.

Old 08-23-2009, 08:52 PM
Big Pig
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It won't cause any real bike damage and I'm glad you aren't offended! Like I said I have been there and I say this only to help you live longer! Good luck.

Old 08-23-2009, 09:04 PM
Apendejo
Road Warrior
Received 523 Likes on 296 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Pig
You need to get over yourself. Nothing worse than a former-whatever telling people what they need to do. OP came on here asking about GVWR, not to be slammed about his personal life. jmho
AP

Old 08-23-2009, 09:10 PM
georgemcghee
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Apendejo
You need to get over yourself. Nothing worse than a former-whatever telling people what they need to do. OP came on here asking about GVWR, not to be slammed about his personal life. jmho
AP
+1 on that

Old 08-23-2009, 09:16 PM
grimreaper169
Road Captain

Your clutch is the part that will get the most work. Other than that RIDE IT LIKE YOU STOLD IT!

Quick Reply: What Damage Does Too Much Weight Cause?