General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Idea for a tank shifter and protection

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 12:43 PM
mpmillion
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idea for a tank shifter and protection

I hear a lot of people talkin bout the weapons they carry (pistols/revolvers) when they ride and the belt buckle knives and boot knives. All very nice and can offer a good deal of protection. But, that got me to thinking of something else that I have not heard of yet. If anyone has seen this or done it than please just bear with me.
Convert your bike to a tank/jockey shift. I have seen custom shifters so why not make one out of an ASP?? In case you do not know it is an extendable steel rod that law enforcement uses. Take the shifter and make it so that you hold onto the ASP in order to shift...make it so that to get it out and in use you need to push down and twist it counter clock wise to get it to release. Something that won't come off on its own but is still readily available. Not sure if I am making sense to anyone but I hope so. Maybe just make it so that the ASP rides on the shifter itself or it could go on a swing arm. Not as accessible but I'm just trying to come up with new ideas. No one would think twice about what it is till you crack someone's skull with it.....
Just thinking out loud.
Any suggestions??

Old 08-23-2009, 01:44 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts

I think that ya might just be on the right track with this idea. GO FOR IT!

Old 08-29-2009, 10:09 PM
woodworking1
Road Master

HMM. now ya got me thinking!

Old 08-29-2009, 10:21 PM
TMM
Advanced

I'm thinking that it's just a tad illegal to carry what would be construed to be a "club", (which an ASP surely would be considered to be), at least here in Texas. Just get your CCW and pack a nice little Glock 19, Kel-Tec P3AT, or the like. Sometimes, thinking outside the box just gets you more trouble than it's worth. Can't blame you for tryin' though.

Old 08-29-2009, 11:42 PM
murd
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, do you live in such a violent environment that you need to carry weapons?
Jeez, I just ride and counter when a stupid cager that pulls in front of me. I'm not going to throw a grenade at them. Chill for goodness sake.

Old 08-30-2009, 12:13 AM
Driften
Cruiser

Originally Posted by murd
Wow, do you live in such a violent environment that you need to carry weapons?
Bad things happen to good people all the time. My wife and I had our SUV taken at gun point before in California.

That said the ASP idea is fun to think about but would not be legal too many places. I agree the answer is have a CCW for the state you live in.

Old 08-30-2009, 12:28 AM
dogtownmax
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

pack or dont pack.

waving a club around is just going to get you shot around here.

Old 08-30-2009, 01:53 AM
assaultthesalt
Cruiser

Illegal to carry a asp in Texas, unless you are LEO.As stated....just pack heat !.....Glock 36 w/ 185grn hollow points for me !

Old 08-30-2009, 02:18 AM
fatguy-littlebike
Tourer

wow, its illegal to carry a club but guns... o thats perfectly ok. dont get me wrong, guns are fine with me but what kind of laws do we have here?

Old 08-30-2009, 08:02 AM
woodworking1
Road Master

No chance of getting a ccw here in Maryland. Some type of protection would be nice. If it is a part of the bike how can anyone give you chit about it or even question it. It would have to be attached pretty well and not just "come off" though. I think about it sometimes when I am sitting at a light in the city. It would take nothing for someone to come up behind you and knock you off your bike and take it. Something that is a good possibility in some parts of the city around here. I carry one in my truck and have had to brandish it only once and all four of the aggressors jumped in their car and sped off! Old Teddy might have been right "walk small and carry a big stick"

Quick Reply: Idea for a tank shifter and protection