General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How long til riding w/passenger

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 01:27 PM
lil_gmac2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: How long til riding w/passenger

3000 miles is my rule!

Old 06-07-2006, 02:34 PM
XL Junkie
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As much as I think it looks lame to see two dudes on a bike, I had one of my guy friends get on the back for my first 2 up practice run around the block. My logic... if I'm gonna screw up and hurt someone, I'd rather it be a guy who knows what he's doing than a chick that doesn't know what to expect. Not to mention the fact that if I could handle my bike with a 175 lb dude on the back I can certainly handle it with any of the 110 lb chicks I'd want to put back there.

Old 06-08-2006, 11:46 PM
GADave
Road Master

ORIGINAL: XL Junkie

As much as I think it looks lame to see two dudes on a bike, I had one of my guy friends get on the back for my first 2 up practice run around the block. My logic... if I'm gonna screw up and hurt someone, I'd rather it be a guy who knows what he's doing than a chick that doesn't know what to expect. Not to mention the fact that if I could handle my bike with a 175 lb dude on the back I can certainly handle it with any of the 110 lb chicks I'd want to put back there.
If you decide to take this route - make sure you find that dude that Aerosmith sings about - the one that looks like a lady.

Dave from Georgia
2004 FLSTCI

Old 06-08-2006, 11:53 PM
Basz
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Primo

I'd try to find a passenger for your first two-up that has had some experience at least riding on the back. Make sure she has on some good riding gear and maybe have her meet you at a deserted parking lot for some practice turns in both directions, progressively quicker stops and u-turns.

Once you feel 100% sure of your abilities and not a second sooner, head out for the highway and some fun.

The street is the last place to put some poor guinea pig on the back of your bike until you are ready.

You hurting yourself is one thing, being responsible for your passenger's safety is quite another.

Good luck,

Primo

Ditto!

My 0.02....

1 - If possible go with a lighter experienced passenger.
2 - And I speak from experiance here - Once they start riding you can't get them off!!!

Old 06-09-2006, 12:16 AM
Unamed
Road Master

Hey marc in regards to gear all you would really need to provide is glasses helmet and gloves they should have a pair of boots and a jacket that works.

I would just get a good but inexpensive DOT helmet for 50-80$ and you probably already have several pairs of glasses and gloves.

Old 06-09-2006, 12:27 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

My rule with each new bike is 1000 miles solo for me first until I have the feel of the bike. Next, tell the new passenger to sit there like a sack of potatoes......no leaning. If they want to help in turns they should simply look over my shoulder in the direction of the turn. Right turn=Right shoulder......Got it. Let them know if they feel like the bike is leaning........JUST SIT THERE.......do not lean with or against it. Hope this helps. Whatever you do......don't get macho....wait until YOU are ready. My $.02

Old 06-09-2006, 12:56 AM
venture33
Road Master

ORIGINAL: KBFXDLI

My rule with each new bike is 1000 miles solo for me first until I have the feel of the bike. Next, tell the new passenger to sit there like a sack of potatoes......no leaning. If they want to help in turns they should simply look over my shoulder in the direction of the turn. Right turn=Right shoulder......Got it. Let them know if they feel like the bike is leaning........JUST SIT THERE.......do not lean with or against it. Hope this helps. Whatever you do......don't get macho....wait until YOU are ready. My $.02
Good advice!

Old 06-09-2006, 01:03 AM
RDKingRider
Extreme HDF Member

Lotta good advice given here. I love to ride with my wife, she and I are best friends and we have covered a lot of roads. We have some good times. You will find someone that you will be comfortable with and them with you. It makes for a lot of fun times.

Old 06-09-2006, 02:27 AM
Bluerose

I've been riding for almost a year. So far I've taken my daughter around town a bit (5'3" 100lbs)
but I refuse to take my brother around (6' 2" 220lb). I'll give him a ride when i'm ready, dauhter
is a good start.

To each thier own...has to do with confidence and skill set.

Old 06-09-2006, 02:39 PM
Kess
Outstanding HDF Member

Dude - I showed my wife your picture and she will ride with you anytime - If you don't bring her back or better yet just simply lose her I will buy your next bike - Deal?????

Quick Reply: How long til riding w/passenger