General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King Frame change

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 10:58 PM
brutalbrad
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Road King Frame change

I thought I read somewhere on here that HD recently changed the frame for the Road King. Couple things what year was it done and what does the change bring to the table?

Old 08-22-2009, 10:59 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,227 Likes on 1,842 Posts

Changed the frame in 08 to accomodate the 6 gallon tank and moved the motor stabilizer to the front of the engine. Then changed totally in 09 with the swingarm changes and front motor mounts behind the footboards on each side instead of one in the front.

Old 08-22-2009, 11:05 PM
deepspace
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also fewer welds and they say its a stiffer frame. And its the same frame for all the touring models.

Old 08-22-2009, 11:09 PM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Night and Day improvements.

Very stiff and swing does not deflect at all.

Old 08-22-2009, 11:11 PM
brutalbrad
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by dawg
Changed the frame in 08 to accomodate the 6 gallon tank and moved the motor stabilizer to the front of the engine. Then changed totally in 09 with the swingarm changes and front motor mounts behind the footboards on each side instead of one in the front.
So for someone that doesn't know S**t about anything mechanical what does this provide me that is better. If I'm going to purchase a RK 2009 seems like the way to go from a new frame stand point?

Old 08-22-2009, 11:16 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,227 Likes on 1,842 Posts

If you have read/seen/heard of the folks that use the rear stabilizer addition like the Missing Link, etc. to cure the wallow that you can feel going in a turn, the 09 and later frame allegedly cured that. It is said to be a tighter ride in the corners.

Old 08-22-2009, 11:21 PM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member

Try a search on the frame. Also what bike do you have now?

What bike do you have now that may help with the comparison.

A bit longer, much stiffer relative to handling and carrying capacity.

Old 08-22-2009, 11:41 PM
brutalbrad
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by leicafish
Try a search on the frame. Also what bike do you have now?

What bike do you have now that may help with the comparison.

A bit longer, much stiffer relative to handling and carrying capacity.
I currently have a 2003 1200 Sportster custom. so I think the ride in general will be night and day. I am wondering about how different in handling overall I will experience.

Old 08-23-2009, 03:20 PM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member

Night an day in peformance also.

Sporster Short wheel base, 5 speed gearing, good handling,very fast off the line. Once you get over 75mph, you are getting your *** beat by the wind and ride. But a Custom is an awesome ride as well as a good looking bike.

I use my 09 RK to ride to work as often as I can(Suit Days or meeting with customers). I ride the 91 and I-5 freeway to and from my office.

Longer wheel base six speeds and siginificant difference on the top end. In my opinion because of the way the 09 RK Standard is set up to me it feels very similar to my Custom. The larger front wheel and the way it has a removable wind shield up front relative to visability. From here every thing is way different. The RK heavier but a very well balance bike(Balance significant point). It is predicable not quirky inhandling ample road feed back. This is a touring bike so as you inclinate you will scrape floors boards often if you try to ride like a sportster. I have ABS again night and day. Will never own another touring bike without it. Riding position and seat is for riding comfortably long stretches. The way HD redid the rear sprocket all of the gears are very usable n the road and in the canyons. Because of the new frame, beefy rear swing are and tire the bike enters and tracks well into and out of curves. Major reason I like the touring bikes are the storage. I can carry a brief case and lap top in one side and my leathers on the other.

Also not a handling issue 6 Gallon fuel tank and the fly by wire throttle with cruise if very habit forming.

Hope sthis helps.

Last edited by leicafish; 08-23-2009 at 03:23 PM.
Old 08-23-2009, 10:08 PM
brutalbrad
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by leicafish
Night an day in peformance also.

Sporster Short wheel base, 5 speed gearing, good handling,very fast off the line. Once you get over 75mph, you are getting your *** beat by the wind and ride. But a Custom is an awesome ride as well as a good looking bike.

I use my 09 RK to ride to work as often as I can(Suit Days or meeting with customers). I ride the 91 and I-5 freeway to and from my office.

Longer wheel base six speeds and siginificant difference on the top end. In my opinion because of the way the 09 RK Standard is set up to me it feels very similar to my Custom. The larger front wheel and the way it has a removable wind shield up front relative to visability. From here every thing is way different. The RK heavier but a very well balance bike(Balance significant point). It is predicable not quirky inhandling ample road feed back. This is a touring bike so as you inclinate you will scrape floors boards often if you try to ride like a sportster. I have ABS again night and day. Will never own another touring bike without it. Riding position and seat is for riding comfortably long stretches. The way HD redid the rear sprocket all of the gears are very usable n the road and in the canyons. Because of the new frame, beefy rear swing are and tire the bike enters and tracks well into and out of curves. Major reason I like the touring bikes are the storage. I can carry a brief case and lap top in one side and my leathers on the other.

Also not a handling issue 6 Gallon fuel tank and the fly by wire throttle with cruise if very habit forming.

Hope sthis helps.
Thx for all the info. and to tell you the truth I probably don't ride my sportster like a sportster. I am not all about the twisties and curves I enjoy a cruise.

the storage is a big + for me I work at Intel and would like storage for my laptop and backpack. don't like to wear a backpack.

Plus my wife likes to ride on back. my 1200XL custom with progressive shocks does fine but the seating really is not great for my ol' lady.

Quick Reply: Road King Frame change