General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King Frame change

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 12:15 AM
machpilot
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will tell you i rode my 09 Roadking Classic from washington state to massachusetts and back all in 3 weeks...(did a little partying in VT in the middle) what a joy...rode a 05 Roadking before...and owned a sporty...this bike is so well mannered...so comfy....i had zero issues with it...was a night and day diff between the 05 RKC and the sporty....handles great, very easy to manuver, handles great in turns...bike is just beautiful...

Originally Posted by brutalbrad
Thx for all the info. and to tell you the truth I probably don't ride my sportster like a sportster. I am not all about the twisties and curves I enjoy a cruise.

the storage is a big + for me I work at Intel and would like storage for my laptop and backpack. don't like to wear a backpack.

Plus my wife likes to ride on back. my 1200XL custom with progressive shocks does fine but the seating really is not great for my ol' lady.

Old 08-24-2009, 06:09 AM
nhbiker1961
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I must be one of the only guys that has never experienced this so called "wobble" with pre-09 frames. I have about 20k on my 08 RK, I ride hard and sometimes very fast. I was with a few friends on some sweeping curves a few weeks back and we were hitting those corners at close to 95mph, I have yet to experience this so called wobble that everybody seems to think they must buy a kit to fix (including some of my friends that will do about anything the dealer tells them they should do.) Where I live, all the roads are curvy and sometimes rough from poor maintenance, I guess I must be used to it or I just don't see it? Maybe it's just me? Sometimes I think Harley creates problem **** to sell **** solutions.

I say this because I has a salesman (really a kid that was programed to say this, because he does not ride a bagger, but a buell)) trying to sell me a 09 because of this "dangerous" problem on my bike. I told him he was full of crap and if that is his sales tactic for selling new bikes, then Harley should fix my old one for free if it is that dangerous, I told him he needs a new approach when talking to experienced riders and walked away from him.

Last edited by nhbiker1961; 08-24-2009 at 06:24 AM.
Old 08-24-2009, 09:45 AM
TMair
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nhbiker1961
I must be one of the only guys that has never experienced this so called "wobble" with pre-09 frames. I have about 20k on my 08 RK, I ride hard and sometimes very fast. I was with a few friends on some sweeping curves a few weeks back and we were hitting those corners at close to 95mph, I have yet to experience this so called wobble that everybody seems to think they must buy a kit to fix (including some of my friends that will do about anything the dealer tells them they should do.) Where I live, all the roads are curvy and sometimes rough from poor maintenance, I guess I must be used to it or I just don't see it? Maybe it's just me? Sometimes I think Harley creates problem **** to sell **** solutions.

I say this because I has a salesman (really a kid that was programed to say this, because he does not ride a bagger, but a buell)) trying to sell me a 09 because of this "dangerous" problem on my bike. I told him he was full of crap and if that is his sales tactic for selling new bikes, then Harley should fix my old one for free if it is that dangerous, I told him he needs a new approach when talking to experienced riders and walked away from him.
I have experienced the wobble, not fun, but I have noticed that it only happens when there is a big difference in the front and rear shock pressure, I have no idea why this would make a difference but it does, I replaced the rear air shocks with coil shocks, my wife and I came home from a ride to the Grand Canyon, I had adjusted the rear shocks for the load, and had not re-adjusted them to a lower setting, came around a turn and it wobbled enough that I shut it down fast, went home changed the shocks and then went back to see if it would do it again, no wobble, I had this same problem with the air shocks.
Terry

Old 08-25-2009, 10:48 AM
machpilot
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

never had a major issue with wobble on my older RK, at least not as much as whats reported here..always thought she handled nice....but not as nice as my 09....

Old 08-25-2009, 12:23 PM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by nhbiker1961

Nor have I. Some guys just follow the herd, hear about a aledged problem the cry bloody murder. Most of these machines are fine if they would jut leave them along and just ride.