General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Midlife crisis??

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2006, 07:13 PM
lapisblue
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Midlife crisis??

An unusually large number of divorced middle-age men die in motorcycle accidents, prompting expert speculation that many chose to take up the often-risky sport of cycling as a symptom of midlife crisis.

Scripps Howard New Service obtained death certificate records maintained by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta to paint a statistical portrait of 3,697 people who died in motorcycle accidents in 2003, the most recent year available.

Dead motorcyclist are overwhelming male (90 percent) and disproportionately white (87 percent). Although teenagers and young adults are over-represented in fatal car accidents, motorcycle fatality victims are disproportionately middle-aged with 46 percent in their 40s or older. About a third have attended college, compared to about half the general public.

The Motorcycle Industry Council, a consortium of manufacturers, said its marketing data show similar patterns for race, gender and age of owners. The council has tracked a rapid aging of the cyclist community, rising from an average age of 27 in 1985 to 41 in 2003.

"What we've been seeing is what we call re-entry riders, people who had motorcycles when they were in college and are now getting back into the sport," said Mike Mount, spokesman for the council.

The Scripps Howard study found that 20 percent of cycling fatalities were men who were divorced at the time of their deaths, a divorce rate more than double the national average. Safety experts and anti-helmet advocates alike were surprised by the finding. Some suggested the cyclists were experiencing midlife crises, or at least major lifestyle changes.

"That certainly is a new and surprising finding," said Oklahoma State University engineering professor Samir Ahmed, who will direct a study of motorcycle fatalities under a grant from Congress. "Although I've noticed that trend (of divorce) from motorcyclists I know. I guess they got divorced and decided to go out and buy motorcycles."

Anti-helmet advocates have long been aware of the accelerated rate of death among middle-age motorcyclists.

"These guys have put a little money away and now they want to reclaim their youth," said Tim Burchett, a Republican state senator from Knoxville, Tenn., who for several years has tried to repeal mandatory helmet laws.

American Motorcyclist Association spokesman Tom Lindsay agreed that the popularity of motorcycling among middle-age men is a factor in the rising number of fatalities. "Certainly, as we get older, we have to take care of our eyesight and realize that our reaction times slow as we age. We have to ride accordingly," said Lindsay.

But he was unaware of the unusual trend in marital status.

"I'm currently divorced. Maybe I should take the bus home today," Lindsay said.

Old 06-06-2006, 07:18 PM
Bluerose
Default RE: Midlife crisis??

Well I haven't quite hit 40 and I'm not a guy but I totally chalk my bike up to mid-life crisis

Old 06-06-2006, 07:21 PM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe men shouldn't get divorced.

Old 06-06-2006, 07:41 PM
oldfartjc
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: oldgeezer

Maybe men shouldn't get divorced.
Sometimes it's not our choice.

Old 06-06-2006, 07:51 PM
XRP
Ultimate HDF Member

Maybe we should not get married in the first place......

Old 06-06-2006, 08:00 PM
eazy
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: mr.claire

Maybe we should not get married in the first place......
[sm=exactly.gif]

Old 06-06-2006, 08:04 PM
Motogo
Road Captain

The crisis would have been , If she had said NO when I told her I wanted to buy it !

Cause a big fight would have followed and I aint as young as I used to be.

[IMG]local://upfiles/8922/84A85571D29044BD8806C21F257CB04C.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-06-2006, 08:16 PM
eddybo69
Road Master

I can see that. Some people like myself have to be married or serious stupid trouble follows. I have to remember sometimes she isnt trying to spoil my fun, just keep me alive and in one piece. Man I couldnt be single again 24 years of that crap was enuff. The parties, the women, the bar fights, the alcohol, the women, the parties, the rides, the money, the toys, the fitfull sleep...hell what am I saying, maybe she is just trying to spoil my fun. I will never grow up, wife said it and she is never wrong.

Old 06-06-2006, 09:19 PM
Axholio
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

...rising from an average age of 27 in 1985 to 41 in 2003.
If these people were 27 in 1985 wouldn't they be 45 in 2003? They keep saying that there are more "older" riders... riders in their 40s. Of course there are. 20 years ago there were more riders in their 20s. It's the same riders... just older now.