General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CVO Street Glide - What is Dealer Smoking?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 09:00 PM
bbrooks1963
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default CVO Street Glide - What is Dealer Smoking?

I have now seen my second CVO Street Glide in the ****ed Rum color at a dealership in the past two weeks. I will have to admit, it is a great looking bike. The first SG was at Landers in Little Rock and they had it priced at $33,000 ($2,000 above MSRP). I thought at the time, they may get that price since it is a new model and is probably going to be in somewhat limited quantities.

Saw my second bike at Southern Tunder in Horn Lake MS. The prices were not on the bikes so I asked how much they wanted. The sales rep. said $35,000. I make the natural comment "This is $4,000 above list, but it is a great looking bike". What he told me next left me stunned. He said that the bike was being sold on auction and the minimum bid price starts at at $35,000. The bike is not going to be sold until sometime in mid to late September. He then asked me if I would like to make a bid. I just told him that I think I will stay with my 2008 Street Glide a little longer, but I thought to myself "What are they Smoking"?

Old 08-21-2009, 09:05 PM
busch
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats crazy 4g over MSRP, I saw one to at dealer same 35g they are smoking crack

Old 08-21-2009, 09:05 PM
G$
Road Captain
Location: LexVegas, KY...home of fast wimmen & beautiful horses
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

....high grade "Purple Kush" is my bet. They'll get e'ry penny they ask for and prolly then sum.

Economics 101: Supply vs. Demand

Old 08-21-2009, 09:12 PM
kissdrb
Novice

Unbelievable that these guys think they can get that kind of money. There is a dealer, Ft. Thunder in OKC that tries this same kind of scam with no prices on the bikes... which is why i have purchased my last two bikes in Dallas. I LOVE HD BIKES but if these dealers keep up with this kind of BS pricing, people will move away from thier HD to other bikes.

Old 08-21-2009, 09:44 PM
CWDoc115
Outstanding HDF Member

Scince the CVO's are no longer hand built by two people, and roll down the same assembly line as the rest of the bikes at York, I just can't see paying a premium price for them. IMHO this was one of the worst decisions that MoCo made.

Old 08-21-2009, 09:54 PM
bbrooks1963
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default CVO Street Glide

My thoughts when I was looking at the bike was that I would have to add new pipes, a race tuner, heavy breather and probably swap out the cams to make it run like a 110 should. I test rode a CVO Road Glide at the beginning of the summer (Harley Dealer test rides) and I thought it would have had a lot more torque.

Old 08-21-2009, 09:56 PM
AZ Rider
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea, since it was just released, they;ll see what they can get. There's always someone out there that has to have the first of everything and may pay more than retail. I have no problem with that, if they can get it.

I'm sure if they offered it for $4000 under than MSRP, everyone would be OK with it.

If someone offered $10,000 more for the asking price of a house that you were selling because the buyer wanted it so much, you'd take it.

Free market dictates the price of something, not MSRP. Would I pay $35K for it? No, but there's always someone.

Old 08-21-2009, 10:11 PM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Come to Alton, IL and buy one off the floor for MSRP. I saw it today and thought it looked really good.

Old 08-21-2009, 10:20 PM
Malibyte
Tourer

This kind of delusion isn't peculiar to Harley stealerships. Same thing happens when a new car gets released that's had good writeups in the trade rags. They mark it up $5K over MSRP, then wonder why no one bites. A few months later they're selling them at a discount. I can understand why they think they'll get some hits when times are good, but in this economy?? - they're definitely smokin' something good.

Old 08-21-2009, 10:28 PM
Doc Intrepid
Road Master
Location: In the Pacific Northwest, a few hours east of Seattle.
Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

Newsflash:

Dudes who drop $40K on a Harley are not impacted by this economy.

(They may be impacted by dumbassery, greed, 'gotta-have-the-new-butt-bling', or "this-will-wow-the-guys-at-the-30th-Reunion", but the economy is not one of the things they worry about...)

Was just checking out the CVO Ultra and Street Glide at the local shrine this afternoon. They're sweet, sure, but not worth the price to me. I've got my bike the way I like it, and I'd rather spend the money on travel and taking trips than on a new bike...

But they won't have any problems selling them here...thats for sure.

Quick Reply: CVO Street Glide - What is Dealer Smoking?