General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Insurance required for Riding into Canada

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 08:06 AM
SLP24
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After 9/11 Border crossing changed completely. Its still the easiest border to cross if you are legal and not breaking any laws. If you think its a hassle try getting caught in one of the Southern US Inspection areas where they are looking for smugglers. You are not crossing any border there and they search thoroughly.

As far as Hand Guns in Canada, I think we have the answer, but don't forget gun laws vary state to state. There are some states you better not ride through with any type of gun. This seems to be a big issue with RV'ers too.

I have yet to hear any Canadian I personally know, complain about their health care system, but after getting hit by a car, I was kicked out of a hospital because I didn't have insurance. I was hit, thrown 30' broken bones and helmet was scratched (evidence of the head hitting the ground). I was not given an MRI, Full Body x-ray or any tests for internal injuries. I was given morphine (3 times) and they pushed my broken bones (compound fracture) back together then said to me "If someone is not here to pick you up by midnight, we have to put you in a taxi and send you to a hotel. FYI: I could not walk!

Emergency Room care is expensive anywhere, but unless you have GOOD insurance in the USA, you are provided with very poor care.

But thats a whole 'nother thread!