General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Insurance required for Riding into Canada

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 10:47 AM
Phlsphyguy
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jmerr01
Oh this brings up a question. You brought a gun into Canada? Was there any problem with what kind? I don't want to get to the border then have them confiscate my Sig P228 becuase its a handgun. I'm not staying for more than two days in the country so I hope this isn't an issue. Being from Georgia I'm always wary of other state's law enforcement when it comes to guns and going into Canada is another concern altogether
DO NOT try to bring a handgun into Canada without the proper paperwork and licenses. See this page for information. Canadian firearm laws are VERY different than US laws. In Canada you have NO RIGHT to keep and bear arms.

http://www.panda.com/canadaguns/

Old 08-22-2009, 10:56 AM
Phlsphyguy
Advanced

Originally Posted by qwispichkn
hmm, wasn't asked that at the border. they wanted to know everything else though. how many guns i owned, where i was going, how long i was staying, but nothing bout insurance. your bike policy should cover you.
I went on a trip to Canada this Summer with a friend. At the border, we were asked the usual questions and being on bikes I suspected we were asked even MORE questions than a cage driver. When they asked me how many guns do I own, knowing that the Canadian Government is VERY anti-gun, I answered: "I am against guns and won't own any." I got through without a search. Now, I could have been a stand-up kind of guy and held my ground and told the truth that I actually own 15 handguns and about 50 longguns, but I KNOW I would have been searched and my bike gone through with a fine tooth comb. There was no reason to ask such a question. I feel they use the answer to further screen individuals and that would be the cause for searches. I did not have stock pipes on the bike either...

Old 08-22-2009, 11:03 AM
kudzu35
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Phlsphyguy
DO NOT try to bring a handgun into Canada without the proper paperwork and licenses. See this page for information. Canadian firearm laws are VERY different than US laws. In Canada you have NO RIGHT to keep and bear arms.

http://www.panda.com/canadaguns/
Big help and thanks for the resource. Lots of links for contacts within the Canadian government and firearms lobby for legal resources.

Old 08-22-2009, 12:21 PM
TFTCAR
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Phlsphyguy
I went on a trip to Canada this Summer with a friend. At the border, we were asked the usual questions and being on bikes I suspected we were asked even MORE questions than a cage driver. When they asked me how many guns do I own, knowing that the Canadian Government is VERY anti-gun, I answered: "I am against guns and won't own any." I got through without a search. Now, I could have been a stand-up kind of guy and held my ground and told the truth that I actually own 15 handguns and about 50 longguns, but I KNOW I would have been searched and my bike gone through with a fine tooth comb. There was no reason to ask such a question. I feel they use the answer to further screen individuals and that would be the cause for searches. I did not have stock pipes on the bike either...
One thing you do not want to do is lie about anything! The odds are slim you will get searched or detained but if the border guards find something you have lied about they have the right to confiscate everything you have with you including your bike. Its your gamble. Anyways there are lots of incredible roads up here , enjoy your stay. Oh and buy the way you will not be turned away by a hospital if you need one. Travel insurance is a real good idea.

Old 08-22-2009, 12:27 PM
AK97fxdwg
Outstanding HDF Member

Been through the border many, many times and never a problem. Passport, DL and registration only ever asked for. One time the officer asked me, "When's the last time you were in front of a judge?" Told him, "About 30 years ago." and he said, "Enjoy your time in Canada." One time in a truck I declared that I had a shotgun with me. We took it into the office, wrote it up, paid ---- $25 I think, and that was that. NO HANDGUNS! Good folks from both Canada and the US at the border.

Old 08-22-2009, 01:04 PM
rscalzo
Road Warrior
Received 126 Likes on 77 Posts

I don't want to get to the border then have them confiscate my Sig P228 becuase its a handgun
Forget it. If caught, you legal complications will be beyond belief. They do care what permit or LE association you have, it isn't coming in with you.

Old 08-22-2009, 01:31 PM
qwispichkn
Tourer

Originally Posted by jmerr01
Oh this brings up a question. You brought a gun into Canada? Was there any problem with what kind? I don't want to get to the border then have them confiscate my Sig P228 becuase its a handgun. I'm not staying for more than two days in the country so I hope this isn't an issue. Being from Georgia I'm always wary of other state's law enforcement when it comes to guns and going into Canada is another concern altogether

OMG, don't even think of taking a gun into Canada. Or any weapon at that. They just wanted to know how many I owned.

Funny though, I have a revolver that I rarely use, and at first I said "no" but after remembering said "wait, yes I do." Glad I did, because after he let me pass, my wife was behind me on her bike and he asked her how many guns I owned, and she remembered, lol.

Old 08-22-2009, 06:35 PM
cactus789
Road Captain

[quote=murd;5470204]Your coming into Canada? Are you crazy? Crossing the border is like trying to enter into, well ...the USA!
You'll be grilled, drilled, scanned, threatened and if your lucky and all your little documents are in order and you certainly don't have loud pipes you just might get it.
Ya, bring yer guns. That goes over real big.[/quote]

LOL yep make sure you tell them too!!, enjoy the rubber glove treatment..bahahahahaha

Old 08-22-2009, 06:55 PM
sgtjeff
Cruiser

True story: About 15 years ago I decided to make a day trip to Montreal from the Americade. (Montreal is about 150 miles from Lake George) At the Canadian border the girl from Canadian Customs started asking me a bunch of questions. The way the questions were going it was apparent she was very suspicious of me. She was asking why I wasn't working and if I had a criminal record. I don't know if she didn't like Harleys or what!!! I finally told her I was a NYC cop. (which I was) She asked for ID and I showed my NYPD shield. She started laughing and said I was very lucky I had that as she was planning on detaining me all day and taking my bike apart piece by piece looking for contraband.
By the way, to answer your original question, I have State Farm and they said I had to have the extra card the other posters mentioned. I went to their office and they typed one up for me, no extra charge.

Old 08-22-2009, 07:10 PM
sporty06
Road Captain

Sounds to me like I don't ever need to go to Canada for personal travel. I may have to go on business but I think that will be the only reason.

sporty06

Quick Reply: Insurance required for Riding into Canada