General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Insurance required for Riding into Canada

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 12:14 AM
cactus789
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by deepspace
It better be a damn good policy. They have socialized medicine crap up there.

Thanks for proving you are clueless......

Old 08-22-2009, 12:40 AM
Slackerzinc
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cactus789
Thanks for proving you are clueless......
LoL
What part of new Brunswick are you coming to?

Old 08-22-2009, 12:55 AM
kudzu35
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by qwispichkn
hmm, wasn't asked that at the border. they wanted to know everything else though. how many guns i owned, where i was going, how long i was staying, but nothing bout insurance. your bike policy should cover you.

Oh this brings up a question. You brought a gun into Canada? Was there any problem with what kind? I don't want to get to the border then have them confiscate my Sig P228 becuase its a handgun. I'm not staying for more than two days in the country so I hope this isn't an issue. Being from Georgia I'm always wary of other state's law enforcement when it comes to guns and going into Canada is another concern altogether

Old 08-22-2009, 01:21 AM
murd
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your coming into Canada? Are you crazy? Crossing the border is like trying to enter into, well ...the USA!
You'll be grilled, drilled, scanned, threatened and if your lucky and all your little documents are in order and you certainly don't have loud pipes you just might get it.
Ya, bring yer guns. That goes over real big.

Old 08-22-2009, 01:29 AM
Pops
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Been through numerous times and State Farm was perfect...Although I never had to use it in Canada...One thing that you may want to consider is the medical insurance, couple friends had to go to the hospital there, they were from Alaska, their personal insurance from their state job was not accepted on the spot, they had to pay out of pocket but was refunded afterwards... Be safe and have a good ride!

Old 08-22-2009, 07:46 AM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by murd
Your coming into Canada? Are you crazy? Crossing the border is like trying to enter into, well ...the USA!
You'll be grilled, drilled, scanned, threatened and if your lucky and all your little documents are in order and you certainly don't have loud pipes you just might get it.
Ya, bring yer guns. That goes over real big.
Yes, the Gestapo in the red coats had me askeerd big time. Got my non-resident insurance card, put my stock pipes back on, and left my gun at home. Great riding though.

Old 08-22-2009, 10:17 AM
uncle bo
Cruiser

welcome to canada.have a great time up here.take care.

Old 08-22-2009, 10:24 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by jmerr01
Oh this brings up a question. You brought a gun into Canada? Was there any problem with what kind? I don't want to get to the border then have them confiscate my Sig P228 becuase its a handgun. I'm not staying for more than two days in the country so I hope this isn't an issue. Being from Georgia I'm always wary of other state's law enforcement when it comes to guns and going into Canada is another concern altogether
Don't let this question slide. I don't know squat about Canadian law, but my assumption is that you will have a problem. Again, I'm not sure, but I'd almost bet there would be a problem without at least some advance paperwork.

Old 08-22-2009, 10:26 AM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

I have Allstate, but I will go there anyway to try and get a card. I suppose theres no way they will let me bring a few personal use Cuban cigars back eh? (Im practicing on my ehs already).
Are you guys serious about the pipes? one of us has v&h ovals which are the loudest in the group next to Pro pipe and I have Monster Ovals

Old 08-22-2009, 10:35 AM
tbrenan
Road Captain

It's very SIMPLE you CANNOT bring a handgun into Canada and you must have a permit to carry a rifle---automatic weapons are banned up here.

Your insurance is accepted here, and if you need medical attention,--YES- the emergency waits can be long for simple needs. We cross the border into the U.S, at least 3 times a week and have been to the emergency in Washington state--paid a small fee up front and our health service covered the rest.

Never had any conversations regarding loud pipes either at home nor in the U.S.(just back from Sturgis and California) Border crossing people have more to worry about than your exhaust--just turn your bike off when you reach the kiosk, entering and leaving.

Quick Reply: Insurance required for Riding into Canada