General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going to the Deals Gap to ride the Dragon...

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2006, 10:38 AM
twoseas
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: IMPORTANT NOTE!!!!

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions, tips and well wishes. Hopefully I will have some nice pics to share when I get back.

Ray

Old 06-08-2006, 12:09 PM
huffhuff
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

i believe if you check any source for NC helmet law you will find the requirement is for a "safety helmet approved by the Commissioner". while there are no lists in any state of "approved" helmets, the NC troopers can still be a hassle, so i'd recommend planning ahead. enjoy, it's an awesome area.

ORIGINAL: FBFletch

ORIGINAL: huffhuff

wear a DOT helmet or have one close at hand. many riders have been stopped by the state troopers for wearing a non-DOT helmet and not allowed to move the bike until they had one on their head.
Huffhuff is right. TN law specifically states that you must wear an "approved" helmet and the TN troopers will enforce it (although not 100% of the time). So, you're taking a big chance riding with a non-DOT helmet. You can get by with a non-DOT approved helmet on the NC side (NC laws simply states that you must wear a helmet).

Old 06-08-2006, 04:18 PM
FBFletch
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: huffhuff

i believe if you check any source for NC helmet law you will find the requirement is for a "safety helmet approved by the Commissioner". while there are no lists in any state of "approved" helmets, ....
And, that's why the portion of the law stating a "safety helmet approved by the Commissioner" has been ruled by the NC Supreme Court as being unconstitutionally vague. And also why tickets for non-approved helmets are almost always thrown out in court. So, unless it's a newby officer who doesn't know any better, most NC LEOs don't waste their time writing tickets for non-approved helmets.

Old 06-08-2006, 04:22 PM
huffhuff
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

hope you are right, it's when a trooper won't let you leave is when there is a real problem. they won't write a ticket in alabama cause they are afraid you will go to court and start a precident.

Old 06-08-2006, 04:30 PM
cajunrph
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts

Sounds like fun dude. Be careful.

Old 06-08-2006, 07:17 PM
RudeDog
Road Warrior
Received 14 Likes on 2 Posts

I've ridden that 2 years ago and I've never had more fun on any other road. You are going to love it, providing you have some experience with twisties shaped like somebody just threw some string on the floor. 318 curves in 11 miles is no promotional scheme it's factual. I swear if you were to lie between the roads you would be able to touch both roads with your feet and hands.

Have a ball and be cautious of the ricers they are there to do it in 11 minutes.

Old 06-08-2006, 11:13 PM
LT753
Road Warrior

I've done the Dragon four times in the past two months, and it sure is fun. Most of the crotch rockets are pretty cool to you as long as you give them part of your lane to pass you in. You get used to it after a while and it's not as nerve racking after that. Have fun, and go by the store. They have some really cool t-shirts and other stuff there. Also pics of some pretty serious wrecks to view.

Old 06-09-2006, 01:40 AM
RDKingRider
Extreme HDF Member

Ride safe, post pics and your tales. I want to go so bad, but don't believe this year.