General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How can it be this hard to change a bulb?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 09:33 PM
Lobby
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How can it be this hard to change a bulb?

Last week I noticed that one of the running lights on the Purple People Eater wasn't on so I picked up a new one yesterday ... let the games begin! My shoulder actually aches from trying to get the bulb out now. Dang tendinitis. Now I remember this particular turn signal (the right one) does not like to cooperate at all. Last time I replaced this bulb it actually shattered while attempting to remove it. Before this happened this time I noticed that I was given the wrong replacement anyway!

It seems like such a simple procedure ... push bulb in and turn counterclockwise. Push bulb, does not go anywhere. Twist bulb counterclockwise, this works and then I can push the bulb in a little bit. Not enough to remove. Oh well I'll think about this more once I get the correct bulb, really need to get the parts manual it is so much easier to get the right part when you give them the number.

Makes you feel so confident in your mechanical skills when you can't even change a bulb.

Old 08-20-2009, 10:10 PM
pip369
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know what your talking about on getting the wrong parts. A dealer once told me that you can't change the bulb...he said you needed to change the whole assembly...and I am not kiddin. I think the assembly was about $80. I went out in the parking lot and got the bulb out and went in and bought a $4 bulb.

Good luck with yours.

Phil

Old 08-21-2009, 08:42 AM
BiggDogg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It helps when you have the right bulb, I bought the smoked lense kit with the red bulbs for my nightster, dealer told me that was the kit for the nightster, got it home and sat there for 20 mins trying to get the new bulb in. turns out it was just a single filament bulb when I need a dual filiment bulb, (the dealer sold me the wrong sportster set) There was no point in trying to return it. I just have to pick up the right bulbs another day.
It should be as easy as push and turn, emphasize "should be"
It sure helps when you got the right parts though, trust no one and get the manual

Old 08-21-2009, 12:39 PM
Johnnyiroc
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey petroleum jelly! Its not just for your *** anymore. Put a thin coating on the bulb socket when you replace it, it will come out next time! You can use grease if you got that too.