General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Harley-Davidson Plant

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 11:47 PM
PaFatboy
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pa GOV. Ed Rendel said he will give the MoCo $15 million to revitalize the York plant. If HD pulls out of York, it will look like their mind was already made up anyway. In a plant like York, robots can only do a few things. Hand assembly is what builds bikes!!!

I could see building a new plant if they couldn't keep up with demand, but with the economy in the crapper, I'd think they would sit tight and not throw any money around just to build less bikes. Maybe the "Board of Directors" at the MoCo are thinking like Obama, Throw enough money at your troubles, and they'll go away......

Old 08-21-2009, 12:09 AM
Coolbreeze
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I think...

somebodies gonna get whacked!

Old 08-21-2009, 12:17 AM
frenchman
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

IMO, the MoCo doesn't pull a plan like that out of its butt just like that. I think the move is planned since years. They just let you know when they think it's right.
As for Wisconsin, I don't think they have to worry.

Old 08-21-2009, 03:35 AM
EG Ultra Classic
Road Captain

Didn't the York plant go out on strike for more money and benefits a few years back? That was probably the beginning of the end. Maybe if the gov of PA does come up with some major loot, and sales continue slumping, and the union gives back what they gained in the last strike, they may just stay a while longer. Lots of iffs.

Old 08-21-2009, 05:12 AM
wtrskinut1
Advanced

HMMMMM, new contract coming up in Februrary, existing site that could not be sold due to enviromental reasons (like building bombs for 20 years). Wonder if they are trying to break the union. Remember Cat in york 15 years ago?

Old 08-21-2009, 08:33 AM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 662 Likes on 412 Posts

A plant in Indiana would reduce the cost of shipping (air-cooled) motors from Milwaukee where they're assembled. There are also lots of unemployed RV assembly line workers in Indiana with the right skill set.

Old 08-21-2009, 08:49 AM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts

This is gonna be really fun for ALL to watch, except for ALL of the workers that will loose their jobs. Change happens I guess!

Old 08-21-2009, 09:02 AM
norgepa
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WTF ......I guess I better take a trip to York before it's gone and while I'am at it I;ll head North to Pottsville, PA "Home of America's Oldest Brewery", Yuengling. Damn...I know I should be thinking at least the MOCO is keeping jobs in the U.S. but damn WHY Move ANY PLANT NOW !

The saying applies today as it did years ago..WWII... "BAD THINGS HAPPEN WHEN GOOD PEOPLE DO NOTHING"....I wonder if there ever has been a million biker ride to DC

Attached Thumbnails New Harley-Davidson Plant-mvc-054s.jpg  
Old 08-21-2009, 09:24 AM
coltsfan
Road Warrior
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by PaFatboy
Pa GOV. Ed Rendel said he will give the MoCo $15 million to revitalize the York plant. If HD pulls out of York, it will look like their mind was already made up anyway. In a plant like York, robots can only do a few things. Hand assembly is what builds bikes!!!

I could see building a new plant if they couldn't keep up with demand, but with the economy in the crapper, I'd think they would sit tight and not throw any money around just to build less bikes. Maybe the "Board of Directors" at the MoCo are thinking like Obama, Throw enough money at your troubles, and they'll go away......
I don't know what $15 million breaks down to price per job but Indiana has paid some companies, like Honda and Suburu, $60,000 for each job. That makes it pretty hard to compete with states like Alabama that paid almost $160,000 per job at the Mercedes plant.

Old 08-21-2009, 10:26 AM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,767 Likes on 2,532 Posts

If the MOCO took any TARP money maybe it's not their decision to move.

Quick Reply: New Harley-Davidson Plant