General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding Dirty

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 01:33 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts
Default Riding Dirty

How many riders do you know that are riding dirty, as in no motorcycle license? With the new law going into effect in Texas about one having to pass a motorcycle riding course to get a license, there is talk that more and more prople will just ride with no license. There is also talk of confiscation of these peoples motorcycles if caught as such. How do you ladies and gentlemen feel about this?

Old 08-20-2009, 01:36 PM
Slaps
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by will2002
How many riders do you know that are riding dirty, as in no motorcycle license? With the new law going into effect in Texas about one having to pass a motorcycle riding course to get a license, there is talk that more and more prople will just ride with no license. There is also talk of confiscation of these peoples motorcycles if caught as such. How do you ladies and gentlemen feel about this?
Towing the bike would be ok (or have a friend pick it up just like most cops would do with a car under the same circumstance) but taking a guys bike is pure BS. Also they should grandfarther in all current bike operators.

Wtf is up with Texas I thought it was a free state still.

Old 08-20-2009, 01:36 PM
Tbyrd
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know one guy who has been riding for about 8 years now with no license. Never been stopped, here in NJ though, you rarely see an bike pulled over.

Old 08-20-2009, 01:39 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I don't think "confiscation" is the right terminology. No law can allow the government to steal your property, unless they are the IRS.

Other than that, I think anyone getting on a bike without the proper license is looking for problems. Just think of the consequenses. And if they're involved in an accident, they may be forfeiting any and all civil litigation, not to mention denial of insurance claims.

Old 08-20-2009, 01:41 PM
Called2Duty
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

first off "riding dirty" as I know it means..ummm...you and old lady...ummm...well you and leave with no shower,

however in your meaning I know several, several guys who ride and have been for sometime (like years) without a MC endorsement, even own their own Harleys, and rice rockets in two cases. its on them if they get caught Im just not willing to take that chance

frog13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Slaps
Towing the bike would be ok (or have a friend pick it up just like most cops would do with a car under the same circumstance) but taking a guys bike is pure BS. Also they should grandfarther in all current bike operators.

Wtf is up with Texas I thought it was a free state still.
I think the OP may have meant impounded, not confiscated, common practice for any vehicle being driven without a valid permit. They can't let you ride it away after they ticket you because they are knowingly letting you operate the vehicle illegally and this will instantly get the ticket thrown out of court.

BigGdawg
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had to get one about ten years ago in GA, my first. In lots of casual conversations I got the impression a lot of bikers didn't have one here but that was a while ago. Don't know if they improved enough to pass the test administered by GA state police, quit riding, or got caught by the Po-Lice.

Old 08-20-2009, 01:49 PM
CWDoc115
Outstanding HDF Member
Exclamation

I'm not one to go begging for extra problems....

Old 08-20-2009, 01:54 PM
duoglider
Road Warrior
Received 300 Likes on 181 Posts

I know a rider who hasn't had his bike inspected in several years. But he has a license. Where's the logic in that?

Old 08-20-2009, 01:55 PM
Slaps
Road Master

Originally Posted by frog13
I think the OP may have meant impounded, not confiscated, common practice for any vehicle being driven without a valid permit. They can't let you ride it away after they ticket you because they are knowingly letting you operate the vehicle illegally and this will instantly get the ticket thrown out of court.
Even impounded with out the option of having some one that can legally drive it away is bs.
At least here the option is it gets towed or driven away. I've had it happen to me before and a friend. In the friend instance the cops tried to say it had to be towed but that was BS and my friend stated he had the legal option of calling some one and having them drive the car away. I don't see why a bike would be any different. But I'm not from Texas.

Quick Reply: Riding Dirty