General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding Dirty

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 01:57 PM
hdstreetglide08
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Everyone I ride with has a M endorsement. I don't have a problem with them towing your bike if your not legal. You want a truck running around you when the driver doesn't have a CDL endorsement?

Old 08-20-2009, 01:57 PM
teamstersteward
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

well I hate to admit it but I have been riding (dirty)since 1969 never had a license or bought a helmet when riding thru a state where helmets were required I would borrow. well now I've bought a helmet(buried two friends motorcycle accident two different accidents same day) Friday am I will be the first in line to take my drivers test all ready taken the written yea I have insurance so if all goes well I will be clean on the saddle tomorrow.

Last edited by teamstersteward; 08-20-2009 at 02:01 PM.
Old 08-20-2009, 02:06 PM
ToastedGoat
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well I am probably gonna get some flack for this but..... I agree with TX. go take the course and get the license. If you can't do that, take a chance on getting your bike impounded. I see a lot of terrible bike riders as of late (mostly on poker runs and charity rides). Lots of these riders need more training .. They can't navigate their bikes in the parking lot... let alone out on the roads..

It's a way for Tx to gain revenue and help insure that more Motorcycle riders are properly prepared to ride out on the roads.

Old 08-20-2009, 02:17 PM
sporty06
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your caught driving a car without a license, they tow the car or you have to have someone come pick it up. I do not see why it should be any different for motorcycles.
The way I interupt the law is that the bike is impounded until you show proof of taking a MSF course. Since you now (as of Sept. 1) have to take the MSF course before you get a license, I guess that makes sense.

Old 08-20-2009, 02:23 PM
mcdaniel52761
Tourer

When I took my test at the driver's licence station, there was a guy who rode his motorcycle to the facility and took his test on it. He had been riding for 3 years with no licence and thought he might as well do it legally

Old 08-20-2009, 02:24 PM
ChopinRockwooD
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Here in ontario it's tough to get insurance without showing that you have an M endorsment. You also can't get plates until you show you have insurance. Pretty strict here. Allthough I have been running with my plate in my bag as it broke off(crappy Kurry parts) and have had cops behind me and havn't been pulled over in 2 months. So I think its pretty safe to say that if you run around "dirty" theirs not much of a chance of getting pulled over just for the sake of it. I also agree with Texas. Think of all the bad drivers out their who put their legs over a bike and ride without any kind of training or even a test to see whether or not their safe to ride. Everyone should be required to have a M licence and take a test to aquire it.

Old 08-20-2009, 02:25 PM
BiggDogg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tbyrd
I know one guy who has been riding for about 8 years now with no license. Never been stopped, here in NJ though, you rarely see an bike pulled over.
+1 on the bikes being pulled over. But I'd never ride without a license.
I beleive there is more at stake then just having your bike towed.

Old 08-20-2009, 02:27 PM
ngoti8tor
Outstanding HDF Member

You mean we're supposed to have a license to ride these things?

Old 08-20-2009, 02:29 PM
Ohrider
Advanced

I took the MSF course this spring....6 people total....Only a lady and myself were "new" riders. Two of the guys had been riding since the 70's and had never gotten a licence or owned a helmet the other two had been riding for awhile as well. It was kinda funny because these guys all had brand new shiney helmets that were obviously purchased prior to the class but all of them admited to riding their entire lives. They would all gather at the end of the street in the mornings to have a smoke and put on their helmets prior to riding into the parking lot of the class....then on the way home I would see them pulled off the side of the road ditching their helmets into their saddle bags.

Old 08-20-2009, 02:34 PM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member

Received 501 Likes on 259 Posts

I started riding in 1972, I've lived in 4 states, and in 2002, for the first time in my life, I had a license, a registered, inspected, and insured motorcycle.... usually had the license,registration, and insurance. But not the inspection.
That being said.... anyone who rides without the proper paperwork, knows they run the risk, of getting their ride impounded. If they think it's BS.... too bad.
Having someone else remove the bike, isn't likely to be the end, and the cops know it's a ruse.... Then every other cop will be aware that bike is "dirty" and will pull it over , and the rider will cry like a little girl.... "harassment!!"
Time for folks to "man-up" ,

Quick Reply: Riding Dirty