General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding Dirty

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 06:05 AM
teamstersteward
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Diver
I'm pretty sure in Texas they can "confiscate" property used in the commission of a felony. That's any property...car, house, boat....whatever.

I've read it posted that they will now have the ability to "seize" your bike and hold it until proof of an MSF course is taken if you don't have the "m" endorsement....but I have yet to find a link to any HB or SB or anything in the Texas Penal Code that says they can do this.
Look up the bill and I do have to agree with you.
Senate Bill 1967
Senate Author: Carona
Effective: 9-1-09
House Sponsor: Chavez

Senate Bill 1967 amends provisions of the Transportation Code pertaining to the safe operation of motorcycles and other vehicles in Texas. The bill requires the Texas Department of Transportation to conduct a continuing public awareness campaign to promote motorcyclist safety and the concept of sharing the road with motorcyclists. The bill requires an applicant for a Class M license or a certain driver's license or learner's permit that includes an authorization to operate a motorcycle to furnish to the Department of Public Safety (DPS) satisfactory evidence that the applicant has successfully completed a basic motorcycle operator training course approved by DPS. The bill establishes penalties for failure by an operator of a vehicle to yield the right-of-way to another vehicle punishable by a fine, ranging from $500 to $4,000, if a person other than the operator suffers bodily injury.
Current law requires a person be covered with a minimum of $10,000 in health insurance for injuries incurred in a motorcycle accident to be eligible for an exception for the offense of operating or riding a motorcycle without a helmet. The bill removes that minimum amount. The bill requires the Texas Department of Insurance to prescribe a standard proof of health insurance for issuance to persons who are at least 21 years of age and covered by an applicable health insurance plan.
The bill prohibits a peace officer from stopping or detaining a person who is the operator of or a passenger on a motorcycle for the sole purpose of determining whether the person has successfully completed a motorcycle operator training and safety course or is covered by a motorcycle health insurance plan and repeals provisions relating to a DPS-issued sticker required to be displayed on a motorcycle by a motorcycle owner.
Senate Bill 1967 amends the Education Code to require the Texas Education Agency to include certain motorcycle awareness information in the curriculum of any driver education course or driving safety course.

Old 08-23-2009, 07:23 PM
Joe Diver
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It says it in the ABATE summary already linked to.....I just can't find it in the Penal Codes or Transportation Code...and it's not in any of the SB's or even HB's referenced.

In fact, the only reference I could find to operating a vehicle without a license said it was a misdemeanor with a fine not more than $200......seems a bit weak to me....

I am not a lawyer though, just somewhat adept at searching the legal codes.

Old 08-23-2009, 07:41 PM
Stevekiel
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Checking up

In WI they have been compairing registered bikes to the owners with licences. They have been sending out letters to the peope who have a bike registered but do not have a licence to drive it. Maybe just a scare tactic for now, but.....

Old 08-28-2009, 02:47 PM
yoacedeuce
Cruiser

I haven't read through all the discussions yet, but thought i'd put my $.02 in. There was a story of a middle-eastern woman that (i think) was trying to sue the DMV for discrimination because they were telling her she needed to remove her head veil thing, that they wear, for her DL picture. I don't remember all the specifics of that case, but i believe it was thrown out. Driving/riding is a privelege, not a right. To the government, it's a privelege that they allow, thus they can take that privelege away if you break the law. Whether they're doing it for safety or for money (most likely for money), they are going to impound/confiscate your ride if you break the law. In TX, they have a new law (huge campaign) about peopel driving without insurance. If you get caught, your vehicle is automatically impounded and you are held responsible for all fees incurred to get that vehicle out (after you get insurance, i think). I know alot of people here have probably been riding for 20+ years w/o a license, but times change and people are getting dumber. i think that being required to get your Class M endorsement (althought it doesn't make you a better rider, especially for new riders), helps those people learn motorcycle safety. I know a few people who never rode before, go through a class (barely passing) and jump on a bike they have no business being on (i.e. crotch rocket with too much power for them to handle). This is main reason insurance is so high for riders with sport bikes, because stupid people get on them and try doing stupid things. Again, not to say that an MSF course would make them better riders, but will help them understand (as well as their peers) how to operate their ride safely, and maybe not choose to do something stupid on their bike. I think it should be up to the officer who pulls you over if they will let you contact someone to pickup your bike or have it towed. But I am all for letting someone's bike get towed for not having a Class M endorsement, then again i DO have mine :P

Old 08-28-2009, 03:47 PM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 501 Likes on 259 Posts

Taking a 2 day MSF class only means you can ride in a vacant parking lot.... not much else, but then again, I know "bikers" that have ridden for 20-30-40 years without a license.... Some are good riders, others aren't worth a damn... never were... but boy oh boy, can they sit at a bar all day

Old 08-28-2009, 03:57 PM
locodude
Road Captain

Here in Oklahoma when I got my 1st drivers liscense they just asked me if I wanted the motorcycle endorsement and put it on there. I didn't own a motorcycle then and it was 20 yrs after that when I bought my first one but endorsement is still there, go figure.

Old 08-28-2009, 04:07 PM
dcobra23
Tourer
Default Just do the right think.

Get the lic and make it right. Lets come clean...............Ever try riding on a Marine Corps base.

Old 08-28-2009, 04:29 PM
keeferfish
Tourer

Have a friend that's been riding for three years dirty. The question I have is insurance. He has insurance but would they pay for his bike?

Old 08-28-2009, 04:41 PM
notfried
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by keeferfish
Have a friend that's been riding for three years dirty. The question I have is insurance. He has insurance but would they pay for his bike?
it depends on his insurance...mine will cover anybody (lic. or not)

Old 08-28-2009, 05:34 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The fee for a drivers license is just another tax. The msf course is just an eye opener for beginners. The privilege idea chaps my ***. Just ranting --not directed at you but the privilege concept.
Originally Posted by yoacedeuce
I haven't read through all the discussions yet, but thought i'd put my $.02 in. There was a story of a middle-eastern woman that (i think) was trying to sue the DMV for discrimination because they were telling her she needed to remove her head veil thing, that they wear, for her DL picture. I don't remember all the specifics of that case, but i believe it was thrown out. Driving/riding is a privelege, not a right. To the government, it's a privelege that they allow, thus they can take that privelege away if you break the law. Whether they're doing it for safety or for money (most likely for money), they are going to impound/confiscate your ride if you break the law. In TX, they have a new law (huge campaign) about peopel driving without insurance. If you get caught, your vehicle is automatically impounded and you are held responsible for all fees incurred to get that vehicle out (after you get insurance, i think). I know alot of people here have probably been riding for 20+ years w/o a license, but times change and people are getting dumber. i think that being required to get your Class M endorsement (althought it doesn't make you a better rider, especially for new riders), helps those people learn motorcycle safety. I know a few people who never rode before, go through a class (barely passing) and jump on a bike they have no business being on (i.e. crotch rocket with too much power for them to handle). This is main reason insurance is so high for riders with sport bikes, because stupid people get on them and try doing stupid things. Again, not to say that an MSF course would make them better riders, but will help them understand (as well as their peers) how to operate their ride safely, and maybe not choose to do something stupid on their bike. I think it should be up to the officer who pulls you over if they will let you contact someone to pickup your bike or have it towed. But I am all for letting someone's bike get towed for not having a Class M endorsement, then again i DO have mine :P

Last edited by oldairboater; 08-28-2009 at 05:37 PM.

Quick Reply: Riding Dirty