General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

St. Louis Area

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 04:57 PM
RWickens
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default St. Louis Area

Relatively new to riding and looking for some out of the way scenic areas to ride. Anyone from the area with any suggetions?

Peace
Rob

Old 06-05-2006, 05:07 PM
Philt
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: St. Louis Area

Lot of good riding around here. I'm from Washington, MO. We have a lot of back roads that are great. Where are you at? Take Hwy 98 west out of the St. Charles area and you can ride all the way to Jeff City along the Missouri River. Also a couple of places you can take a ferry over to Illinois and ride the river road. It's beautiful!
PM me if you would like and I'll let you know when we go on a ride. I'm an office in a CMA chapter and we love to welcome new people to ride with us.
Phil

Old 06-05-2006, 06:56 PM
wild wally
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Philt

Lot of good riding around here. I'm from Washington, MO. We have a lot of back roads that are great. Where are you at? Take Hwy 98 west out of the St. Charles area and you can ride all the way to Jeff City along the Missouri River. Also a couple of places you can take a ferry over to Illinois and ride the river road. It's beautiful! .....
yep, lots of beautiful riding around there. Shoot over to Illinois and check out highway 3. It's a great ride from Alton, IL down to Chester, Il, or even furthur down 3 to Grand Tower, IL. Grand Tower has a nice park that will take you right to the bank of the Mississippi. It will be a very memorable ride!

be extra careful in St Louis. i would avoid I-70 between the airport and downtown! Like any big city, people drive like total maniacs.

Wally

Old 06-05-2006, 06:58 PM
XRP
Ultimate HDF Member

Canada's nice this time of year.

Old 06-05-2006, 07:04 PM
MOking
Tourer

st. Louis here as well....welcome to the club and the forum!

I love riding Hwy. 94...haven't tried to Jeff City yet, but I have heard it is great. 94 can take you to the Golden Eagle Ferry which crosses to Calhoun County, IL. Then you can take the Brussels ferry to the River Road in Grafton/Alton areas. This is probably your single greatest ride in the area and less than 100-125 miles for most of st. louis.

Hwy 67 is another great ride if your looking to go another direction. Heck, I even enjoy riding Hwy 100 and finding the side roads off of it. Hwy T near St. Albans Country Club is another classic road to hit.

Bluff road through IL can be fun.

I am always looking for other roads to explore. What type of bike/riding do you plan to do?

I am on a road king and have made one trip through the Ozarks of Arkansas and another down route 3 into Memphis. On really long trips...I'd recomend the smokey mountains. We are planning a trip to Sturgis this August with a handful of others in the area.

There is a rally in Effingham on June 17 at Legacy HD. There will be a HDForums get together with 20-50 guys attending.

Live near 40 and 141 myself. Some great roads around here. Just have to find riding buddies you enjoy catching up with.

Let me know if your heading out sometime....I'm always ready to hit a highway or backroad.

Tom

Old 06-05-2006, 07:31 PM
RWickens
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I live in the Fenton area, down by George Winter Park. I ride a 1200 Sportster Custom so extra long miles are not for me quite yet. Looking for a day trip, away from major highways. Love the scenic stuff.

Old 06-05-2006, 09:51 PM
RDKingRider
Extreme HDF Member

From Columbia Mo. We love to ridw 94 from Jefferson City, It is great!! Lot of good roads around here.

Old 06-06-2006, 01:51 AM
MOking
Tourer

We keep talking about a trip to Johnson shut-ins to check out the damage from the dam failure. That about 2 hours from fenton I think.

Old 06-06-2006, 07:47 AM
meatball
Advanced

Well I'm from Festus. Otherwise known as fetus. I don't know how familiar you are with this area but their are a bunch or good places to ride down here. I personally like to ride down 21 to potosi and mark twain national forrest. Lots of really good places to fish too!!! Its really kind of weird to ride for an hour and not see any traces of civilization. highway 32 19 and 8 make a nice little loop through mark twain and you wind up right back in potosi on 21. Unbelievable scenery!!! Also you can head down 61 or 55 to St. Genevieve. It is a very old town on the river lots of old houses to tour in the old settlement part of town. You are also in Missouri wine country lots of wineries down here too. You can also take the ferry across the river to route 3 in Illinois and on south to Chester the home of Popeye the sailorman. Lots of old civil war and revolutionary (believe it or not) forts and stuff in this area.

Also about 80 miles south of Festus is Cape Girardeau. This is a college town and they have a really neat river front with bars and shops and even a microbrewery. Also in the first part of July they have a airshow at the Cape Girardeau regional airport. They put on one hell of a show. They have alot of old world war II and current military aircraft at the show. Check it out I go every year it really is that good. And best of all they have dedicated bike parking right by the entrance so you don't have to walk a mile.

Well I'm done rambling if you need more info let me know I'll see what i can do.

Oh by the way i have a 1200 sporty custom too. So in know what you mean about long trips.

Old 06-06-2006, 12:03 PM
Philt
Road Master

For all in the area.........We are having our Cross Road Riders 3rd Annual Bike Show on July the 2nd, at the City Park in Union, MO. We will have several classes, vendors, live music, a blessing of the bikes, and free food! In fact everything is free! No charge to enter your bike. This shold prove to be a good show. Last year we had around 50-60 bikes and we had some rain. Hopefully we will get some better weather, but we have a very large pavillion to get under if it does rain. I'll give more information as we get closer. If you are wondering, Union is on Highway 50, about an hour west of St. Louis., and about 2 hours east of Columbia. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.
Phil

Quick Reply: St. Louis Area