General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Full Face to Half Helmet

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 09:06 PM
SLP24
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Full Face to Half Helmet

I have always ridden with a Full or 3/4 helmet, but I am seriously thinking of getting a 1/2 helmet for those really hot days. I'm riding an Ultra so I have a full shield and I usually ride two up (OK, actually three, but not counting the dog here)

So what I want to know or actually hear from are any of you that ride with Full Face helmets AND or have switched to 1/2 Helmets. What's the biggest difference you noticed?

Will I need ear plugs (usually use them on long trips anyways)

Eye Protection? I always have sun glasses on during the day already. Do I need the ones with the foam around them?

How about air lift? Do you feel the air getting under the helmet?

Are the Hybrids really worth it? I only expect to use these helmets on really hot days. I have to buy two of them so I want to be sure about it first.

Anything you can share will be appreciated as long as its a true comparison. I know there are riders that will never wear a Full Face. I respect that, but really need a side by side comparison here.

PS> Actually found a guy who built a Full Face helmet for his Little dog! That was awesome!

Old 08-19-2009, 09:34 PM
NOLAMike
Road Master

I think you'll find quite a bit more wind noise with a 1/2. I haven't found you "need" glasses with the foam--just ones that fit fairly close. However many prefer the foam.

Old 08-19-2009, 09:42 PM
cromagnon
Grand HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Ear plugs for sure.

Why anyone would wear a full face helmet on a Harley is beyond me.

Just try not to slide on your face if you wreck.

Old 08-19-2009, 09:51 PM
deadman77
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 89 Posts

I switched from a full faced Bell to a 1/2
I love the 1/2
Ear plugs? Should use them but I dont.
Use the foam glasses.
Air lift? Not that I notice.
Did I say that I like the 1/2?
MikeM

Old 08-19-2009, 10:34 PM
drogers
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cromagnon

Why anyone would wear a full face helmet on a Harley is beyond me.

Just try not to slide on your face if you wreck.

If you spent your whole life haulin' azz on sport bikes,drag bikes,and racing moto x,you feel naked with anything other than a full face helmet.It's all I know.I just bought and draw the line at a 3/4 helmet. No puddin' bowl for me. Besides,if you crashed as many times as I have you realize they ain't gonna do much good.

Old 08-19-2009, 10:42 PM
0069fatboy
Tourer

Switched to 1/2 helmets completely. Yes, more noise from the wind, but also more aware of the cages around me. Feels safer IMO..

Every 1/2 helmet is different. Some lift some don't. I have a Hybrid Ultra as well as a Bell Drifter. The Drifter lifts like crazy, would not recommend it. Love the Hybrid, no lifting. (I ride without a windshield most of the time). There's no difference when the windshield is on.

I do like the foam in my sunglasses sometimes. It seems to keep more dust out. Doesn't look as good though...

Old 08-19-2009, 10:43 PM
overhead
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

LOL, I seriously hope he was kidding. Try not to slide on your face A full face obviously provides more protection, but I only wear one when it is cold or raining.

Wind noise may be a problem for you, I am half deaf already so it does not bother me. I do not notice anymore lift on the half helmet than I do the full face helmet. My opinion is you will not need glasses with foam unless you are riding a bike without a windshield.

Old 08-19-2009, 11:38 PM
laytonj1
Cruiser

I'm in the same dilemma. I've always worn a full face helmet but having just moved to Arizona from Washington state recently, I'm in the market for a half helmet. Problem is the half helmets seem cheap. My Arai was over $600 and my Shoei I bought 10 years ago was over $300. The half helmets I've been seeing run in the $40 to $80 range and don't look like they could protect anything. The hybrids at the HD dealer run around $200 and look to be better quality so I may just go with that.

[QUOTE=cromagnon;5458840]Why anyone would wear a full face helmet on a Harley is beyond me./QUOTE]

I'm not worried about the Harley fashion thing.

Jim

Old 08-20-2009, 12:09 AM
yk.hd
Road Captain

"I have always ridden with a Full or 3/4 helmet, but I am seriously thinking of getting a 1/2 helmet for those really hot days. I'm riding an Ultra so I have a full shield and I usually ride two up (OK, actually three, but not counting the dog here)

So what I want to know or actually hear from are any of you that ride with Full Face helmets AND or have switched to 1/2 Helmets. What's the biggest difference you noticed?"
.... - Biggest difference I've noticed is the wind on my face feeling that is synonymous with riding a bike on the open road. Seem more aware of everything that is around me.

"Will I need ear plugs (usually use them on long trips anyways)"
... - I use ear plugs when I'm going on the highway. Around town I like hearing everything full volume - again seem to be more aware of what's around me.

"Eye Protection? I always have sun glasses on during the day already. Do I need the ones with the foam around them?"
I've used both. Regular sunglasses are nice around town, but I've switched completely to a pair of Panoptix Cyclone's. I find that with the foam surrounding my eye, less dust and wind get in. More comfortable.

"How about air lift? Do you feel the air getting under the helmet?"
All depends on the lid. I used a Daytona that was pretty bad for lifting, but my HCI Polo stays put.

"Are the Hybrids really worth it? I only expect to use these helmets on really hot days. I have to buy two of them so I want to be sure about it first. "
Dunno what you mean by Hybrids...

"Anything you can share will be appreciated as long as its a true comparison. I know there are riders that will never wear a Full Face. I respect that, but really need a side by side comparison here."
Started out wearing a FF since that was what I was used to. Riding Moto X and Dual sports before... I've still got a nice FF for cold mornings and when I know I'm gonna be riding in the rain though...

I found that if I wrapped a do rag or whatever around my nose and mouth, the road grime/dust/debris wasn't as noticeable.

Old 08-20-2009, 12:21 AM
Voyager57
Stage III

Wore full face helmet for years on metric bikes but got my first ACC half helmet for my first harley, last year.

I noticed that it's alot lighter, and alot less confining. No buffeting and I don't use earplugs. I do use guard dog goggles over rx glasses. I like it much better now than the full face.

Quick Reply: Full Face to Half Helmet