Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thumb friction screw

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 08:09 PM
powaypete
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thumb friction screw

Bought an 98 Ultra with cruise control (1st cruise control ever). I've ridden years with a thrumb screw to act like a dead man's throttle. Comes in handy when riding the back roads. Before anyone asks why, try it first before passing judgement, it works!!!!

Here's my question: Has anyone ever installed a thrumb screw on their cruise control bike?
The grip housing looks deeper and there is a hole there. Looks like it will line up with the throttle to apply friction. The grip is a standard grip.

Old 08-18-2009, 08:14 PM
jeffbarb17
Road Captain

I don't understand..........maybe I'm missing something....................

Old 08-18-2009, 08:25 PM
Tripper
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by powaypete
Bought an 98 Ultra with cruise control (1st cruise control ever). I've ridden years with a thrumb screw to act like a dead man's throttle. Comes in handy when riding the back roads. Before anyone asks why, try it first before passing judgement, it works!!!!

Here's my question: Has anyone ever installed a thrumb screw on their cruise control bike?
The grip housing looks deeper and there is a hole there. Looks like it will line up with the throttle to apply friction. The grip is a standard grip.
I haven't and dont understand why somebody would want to.

Old 08-18-2009, 08:29 PM
powaypete
Road Master

It takes about 1 second to engage cruise control. With the friction screw you can let go of the throttle at anytime or relax your hand at any time. The throttle will not return to idle. Cruise control is for the highways but not back roads where RPM changes.

I want to put a dead man's throttle on a bike that has cruise control. Can it be done?
I also know that I would have to remove the friction to engage the cruise control.

Old 08-18-2009, 08:38 PM
Tripper
Ultimate HDF Member

With cruise control on the back roads or riding with a group, engage CC, flex hand, or do what you would with throttle lock engaged, then tap the front brake to dis engage the cc. Seems much easier than scewing down the Lock, doing your chit, then unscrewing the Throttle lock. It is for me any way but to each his/her own.

Happy Trails

Old 08-18-2009, 08:42 PM
vertigo14
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I would like both CC(which I have) and the thumb wheel throttle tensioner... but I have yet to find a kit that would work(to add the tensioner).. not that I have looked much.

Old 08-18-2009, 08:45 PM
dinahmoedave
Advanced

sometimes we dont always like the changes they make "for the better". My 84 throttle stays right where you put it and i like it! The 07 tension has to be adjusted all the time. cruise control on a bike scares me! Not around here anyway.

Old 08-18-2009, 08:53 PM
Tripper
Ultimate HDF Member

Cruise control is great for those long lonely straight stretches that we have out here in the Great Southwest with little to no traffic but I would not want to use it in traffic or the twisties or on windy days. Shudder!

Old 08-19-2009, 12:53 PM
Errk08
Tourer

....................ok this is ridiculous

Old 08-19-2009, 01:03 PM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

Curise Control for riding is great. The thumb wheel may be nice for warming the bike up. Start it, set the speed using the thumb wheel, go in the house and finish your coffee, come out and it is all warmed up and ready to go. On the DYNA, I have only the thumb wheel. On the Ultra, I have only the cruise control. I'd like both on each of the bikes, but would not even think about riding with the thumb wheel screwed down. If you are interested, I can post a photo of what happened to my wife when she accidentally tightened down the thumb wheel on my DYNA and then needed to hit the brakes. It ain't pretty!

Quick Reply: Thumb friction screw