General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

burnt clutch or ok ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 04:42 PM
cdsgunn
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default burnt clutch or ok ?

I was acting dumb and did 1 burn out at a party and my clutch went from engageing off the handle and fine. To all the way out and was slipping bad I adjusted it and no more slipping I can feel but still engages way out on the handle. Have tryed to adjust again no luck. Would a new clutch be my best bet or just live with it cause its not sliping anymore 2008 lowrider very pissed that one burn out did this.

Old 08-18-2009, 05:16 PM
BlackFLHR
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 18 Posts

1 burnout should burn up your clutch, unless you feathered it too much and/or rode the clutch... What does the primary fluid smell like?? Does it smell like normal oil or does it smell burnt? Have you tried adjusting the clutch at the primary (or just at the cable)??

Old 08-18-2009, 06:00 PM
cdsgunn
Intermediate

oil was fine to me adjusted both cable and adjuster screw in primary several times to try to get it the way it was but it still engages more then half way out on the handle but it seem to engage fully with no sliping really opened it up and it seemed ok would just like the old feel that it had back

Old 08-18-2009, 08:15 PM
Johnnyiroc
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I am looking for the answer too as mine seems to jump upto 4000 rpm in 4th quicker than the ground speed I think should be....been this way since I got it. every other gear works fine, no slip feel. It just dont seem to be pulling right to me until the wheels catch up with the engine. I dont ever smell anything funny either. But never smelled the primary stuff. Hell I dont know if my 84 has a wet clutch or not. Has a cable , I know that much.

Old 08-19-2009, 08:44 AM
cdsgunn
Intermediate

i think your 84 is a wet clutch but if you dont know that tells me you might need to check under the primary cover if it is wet then you should change your primary fluid i change mine about every 5000 miles thta might help your slip in foruth but if its just in 4th gear id be more worried about your gear box maybe there a ground spot in your trans gear and it hit it and slipes for a second

Old 08-19-2009, 09:08 AM
Johnnyiroc
Road Master

Originally Posted by cdsgunn
i think your 84 is a wet clutch but if you dont know that tells me you might need to check under the primary cover if it is wet then you should change your primary fluid i change mine about every 5000 miles thta might help your slip in foruth but if its just in 4th gear id be more worried about your gear box maybe there a ground spot in your trans gear and it hit it and slipes for a second
Ill look into the fluid. The gear theory I dont buy because it is 100% smooth, if a gear was messed up, im sure there would be a clunk, or something like a bang and the bike would jerk when it caught.. its only when gassing on it in 4th.

Old 08-20-2009, 09:13 AM
cdsgunn
Intermediate

first thing to do is adjust the clutch and the clutch cable if it stops its ok

Old 08-20-2009, 11:36 AM
Johnnyiroc
Road Master

another guy locally thinks it is just the toque curve of the screaming eagle cams....still not sure. That sounds reversed to me, usually when you hit the torque area, the engine revs quicker, not slower.