General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alarm system or not?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2006, 02:55 PM
cutacroshorty
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Alarm system or not?

A few local HD guys tell me that they think my '03 Ultra Classic Police Edition should have come with an alarm system installed. I bought the bike second hand with only 4300 miles on it. I didn't get a key phob with it so I just assumed it didn't have an alarm system.
The original owners manual did not have a security code in it.

Should this bike have had a factory alarm or not? I haven't had a chance to talk with the dealer yet.

Old 06-04-2006, 03:14 PM
Slide
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Alarm system or not?

I can't answer your question but I wouldn't grieve too much over the loss.
The factory's alarm systems are essentially high-aggravation junk.

Old 06-04-2006, 03:27 PM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I happen to like having it. It may not prevent all theft, but I'm sure it will stop some.

It was never a standard item, just an option. So even if yours could have had one, doesn't mean it did.

Old 06-04-2006, 04:22 PM
aquaskiman
Tourer

I wouldn't have a Harley without it.

Old 06-04-2006, 04:51 PM
alexcue
Road Master

my "high-aggravation junk" gives me a little piece of mind, combine it with the pager and at least i know the casual thief may go and pick on someone else. The nice thing is it's totally plug and play

Old 06-04-2006, 06:43 PM
eddybo69
Road Master

Same thing happened to me. I believe that all 03's have the alarm, but I may be wrong. Your dealer can get you a new key fob. While you are at it I would add the siren. While the security system will not stop all thieves it will stop the causal joy rider. If you find out that you do not have the alarm and want it, I have an extra in a box around here, but it is the one with no key fob (you can have it if you want). I didnt think mine had one and took it to the dealer. They didnt tell me that it already had one (or that they could get a key fob) until they had installed a new one on my dime.

Old 06-04-2006, 07:19 PM
Slide
Advanced

Mine hasn't worked properly since the day I brought the bike home. On one occasion it seriously malfunctioned and it took hours to get get it unstuck so the bike would start. The dealer has been hopeless on this, the instructions didn't work, etc..
I don't buy motorcycles from alarm mfgrs., so I guess this holds true in the reverse. I'll buy one again but next time from someone who understands the technology.
Alarms are great to have but I get some piece of mind when I know I can start my own bike.

Old 06-04-2006, 07:39 PM
millzog
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 118 Likes on 113 Posts

I don`t have an alarm on my 2000 Heritage , I do it the old fashion way ....lock the fork, and put on the disc lock. If they want it ,there going to take it anyway........no matter what you do.

Old 06-04-2006, 09:23 PM
hdsd05
Advanced

I love mine but for different reasons than most. I will not place a commercial in this thread, but I have an item that is better than the alarm, which I do not use, and the pager that is offered.

Old 06-04-2006, 09:59 PM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Run into the store for a minute. No locking of anything, just push the button. Ignition disabled.

Right now the bike is in my driveway. Im in the house. Its not in the garage because I'm leaving again in an hour.

Alarm on, if it gets messed with, i will hear it.

I like it also because its integrated with the computer. No clipping of a wire and disabling it. Even the siren will sound with the battery cable removed.

Quick Reply: Alarm system or not?