General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

got it narrowed down to two bikes for my first HD

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009 | 09:38 PM
shakey1378
|
Intermediate
Default got it narrowed down to two bikes for my first HD

night rod or crossbones. im buying this for two up riding and some light touring duty. currently use a honda 929RR as my daily ride but its not so good for 500+ miles in a day type of riding. no back seat either for the simple fact that a 370lb bike with 130rwhp is hard to keep the front down and steering sux entirely with passenger...

any insight would be much appreciated

Old 08-17-2009 | 10:23 PM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member

Both are excellent bikes...but I'm not sure either will make you happy for two-up riding and light touring.

The best advice you'll get is to head to your local dealer and test ride as many as you can...with your riding partner if they (she?) can do it with you.

IMO, I'd also look at a Softail Heritage because it comes with many of the parts you'll eventually buy for touring (bags, windshield) or one of the less-than-full baggers, such as the Road King, Street Glide or Road Glide. You're doing it right by asking for opinions here on the forum...which is how I eventually ended up buying a Road King.

Good luck.

Old 08-17-2009 | 10:39 PM
phat96
Road Warrior

More room and comfort for 2 of you on a touring bike, and better with tunes.

Old 08-17-2009 | 11:00 PM
Tbyrd
Tourer

I have to agree, neither of those bikes scream two up to me, in fact the crossbones has a solo saddle. You seem to like the dark custom style bikes, I would suggest the fatboy lo or a street glide

Old 08-17-2009 | 11:11 PM
genedjr
Road Captain
Default Get the "King"

Road King - there is a reason its the "King".
But my opinion might be a bit tainted.

If your going to do any touring, any 500 mile+ days - get a touring model. You can always get a can of flat black and change the color
...gene

Old 08-17-2009 | 11:54 PM
travroc
Road Warrior

My lil bro has a Honda CBR600RR. Needless to say, I let him take my Heritage out for a cruise and he had a smile from ear to ear. He said, and I quote, "Man, now I know why people like Harleys so much."

Like Whiskers said, both bikes you are looking at are not really touring machines, though you could modify the Crossbones to fit the bill. Test rides are a must, and many dealers rent out most of the popular models. I put some serious miles on my Heritage with no problem. Good luck.

Old 08-18-2009 | 12:06 AM
ToastedGoat
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Tbyrd
I have to agree, neither of those bikes scream two up to me, in fact the crossbones has a solo saddle. You seem to like the dark custom style bikes, I would suggest the fatboy lo or a street glide
+1 Fat Boy Low or Heritage Softail if you like that look.. You want comfort and touring ability get one of the touring bikes.

Of course don't listen to me to much, because I ride all over the place on a dyna frame 2 up all the time..... yes long trips too.

Old 08-18-2009 | 01:37 AM
6 gun
Seasoned HDF Member

dude for 2 up riding the road kink classic is
the way to go. Sitting at a red light with my
wife on back the bike is shaking like a dog
trying to crap a peach seed, after a while
her hands move from the strap to around
my wast then up to my chest, you get the
idea. Good luck, hell i'm fixin to go wake her
azz up , good night

Old 08-18-2009 | 01:42 AM
frenchman
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Whiskers
Both are excellent bikes...but I'm not sure either will make you happy for two-up riding and light touring.

The best advice you'll get is to head to your local dealer and test ride as many as you can...with your riding partner if they (she?) can do it with you.

IMO, I'd also look at a Softail Heritage because it comes with many of the parts you'll eventually buy for touring (bags, windshield) or one of the less-than-full baggers, such as the Road King, Street Glide or Road Glide. You're doing it right by asking for opinions here on the forum...which is how I eventually ended up buying a Road King.

Good luck.
Xactly. Good advice! (took me 15 minutes to type this, I was mesmerized first by Tbyrds avatar, then by his sig pic)

Last edited by frenchman; 08-18-2009 at 01:45 AM.
Old 08-18-2009 | 03:36 AM
yk.hd
Road Captain

Originally Posted by travroc
My lil bro has a Honda CBR600RR. Needless to say, I let him take my Heritage out for a cruise and he had a smile from ear to ear. He said, and I quote, "Man, now I know why people like Harleys so much."
That's exactly what my little brother said too! Except he's got a GSX500, and I've got a SuperGlide Custom.

------> He's buying a Harley in the spring.

To the OP: I'd suggest as others mentioned, try and take a couple out for a demo ride. Hell, rent a couple if you have to. The dealer up here has daily rates, and have a 30 minute (approx) return policy. So you could potentially try out a couple different rides!

For me, I wanted to be able to do it all - Cruise around town, highway trips, and the occasional passenger. Hence the Dyna.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: got it narrowed down to two bikes for my first HD