General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

got it narrowed down to two bikes for my first HD

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009 | 12:08 PM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member

TEST RIDE THEM. Are you set on new? You can get both a Springer and a Vrod if you buy used for the price of a new Bones. JMFUO.

Old 08-18-2009 | 12:39 PM
Pops
Road Captain

Guess which direction I lean towards...

Old 08-18-2009 | 01:12 PM
shakey1378
|
Intermediate

theres a part of me that says im too young for a bagger, but you guys make some valid points. i really need to throw the road king and street glide on my to do list. i was leaning torwards an 09 leftover or new. my main concern is getting the most current engine and frame. i am keeping my cbr for messing around and commuting to work.

on the road king is there any benefit of going with the standard over the classic or vice versa.

Old 08-18-2009 | 02:23 PM
slolane
Advanced

Nice bike! I'm prob not a lot of help but I had a 929 Erion Racing a few years ago. Anyway, cool thing about HD is the demos, go check em out and see what suits you... its hard to have one bike that does it all, Nightrod for speed, cruiser/touring bike for longer rides so by hitting local shops for demos will prob be what you have to do... coming from the 929 to anything is gonna be hard if your still interested in the speed. I bought a 2002 1200 Sporty when I had my 929, sold the 929 but later picked up a CBR600 which I had for 4 years cause the one bike didn't do everything I wanted. Now I'm just cruising the 883 Iron and looking to get a used Road King or other touring bike for our longer rides as soon as I can. Good luck and let us know what you end up with. Here's the 929 I had...

Old 08-18-2009 | 02:34 PM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member

If you're looking at a 2010 & like the two you picked why not a Fat Bay Low? Similar look for your taste & much better 2 up riding.

Old 08-18-2009 | 02:39 PM
Regis
Cruiser

Originally Posted by shakey1378
theres a part of me that says im too young for a bagger, but you guys make some valid points. i really need to throw the road king and street glide on my to do list. i was leaning torwards an 09 leftover or new. my main concern is getting the most current engine and frame. i am keeping my cbr for messing around and commuting to work.

on the road king is there any benefit of going with the standard over the classic or vice versa.
Don't sweat the bags, they become part of the bike in record time. They have less width than most handlebars and don't affect handling (IMHO) at all. I ended up adding bags to my 03' Softail Standard, because wearing a backpack sucks and so does strapping something down every time you just want to carry something. It is nice to have someplace to store warmer gloves, for when the evening comes on, extra shades, water, etc, etc. My girlfriend didn't want to add bags to her Deuce, but she soon got used to it in record time.

If I woulda had to do it all over again (and the girlfriend agrees with this too), I woulda got a Road King, instead. More bike, more features and nothing or little to add.

Old 08-18-2009 | 02:42 PM
DSnoopy
Elite HDF Member

LOL - You might just want to go to each of the bike forums here, and check the Dynaa, Sporty, Softails, etc and get some ideas. You'ld be suprised what you might find and like.

I still think the FatBob Low suits what you're saying the best.

Old 08-18-2009 | 03:25 PM
2K1FLHPI
Tourer

I never bought into the whole age means certain models thing. I have seen older folks riding hard tail choppers and younger guys with windshields and saddlebags.

Old 08-18-2009 | 03:30 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member

Neither is your best choice IMHO. Have you ridden them?

Old 08-18-2009 | 03:47 PM
TheJimer
Road Warrior

Asking for opinions is OK but all comes down to what YOU are comfortable with! The best advice I saw here is: “go to a dealer and test ride a few bikes and I don’t mean just going around the block”.

Good luck with your decision!

Quick Reply: got it narrowed down to two bikes for my first HD