General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1969: Harley merges with American Machine and Foundry

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 08:32 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 49,082 Likes on 17,943 Posts

[quote]
Originally Posted by panz4ever
Came home from hunting Little People at the end of '69. Had a brand new 70 FLH waiting for me that I had paid cash for. Within 2 months the left front case motor mount busted. Took it back to Sam Arena HD on Monterey Rd In San Jose Kali. They looked at me and blew it off and gave me a sh*t-a$$ excuse about how it was not covered. Took it apart to have the case welded and found out the flywheels were so badly out of balance that the motor would never have stayed together. Shared that woth the dealer and they said the warranty was now really blown because I took the motor apart.

Long and short... made the repairs, balanced the motor and sold the bike. By October 79, found my 65 pan in Aromas, Kali. Still have it and ride it hard. So guess I was one of the 50% that got crap due to production failures. Not sorry I sold it because the pan has never failed me.

If the opportunity and finances work out I'm going to get another one, either late year AMF or 82-84. Next to a pan, think shovels are the best[/quote]
We do think along the same lines , far as I'm concerned Shovels were the last American made harley period . Like the articular said they went to Japan , AMF meet Toyota and their monster production philosophy & practices . Where AMF choked was the complete 180 they would have to perform to adopt the jap ways and then convince US workers to hump like the japs do in a factory . Was not going to be a smooth easy transition & a huge monetary outlay to completely retool and bring parts and materials up to speed . That's the big reason AMF let the boys buy the company back , they didn't want to drop the dime they were in it for the fast cash not long term investment .

Consistent quality control was almost non existent pre 1980 in the factory . American labor practices in small companies then were still very old school sort of a pride in craftsmanship thing for each individual . As the faster more push hit quality took a dump , things were getting by that would have been caught with old more hands one way .

Everyone carrying on about how the old bikes leak , well the old pans were a total loss oil system it was designed to have oil everywhere of course it puddled so did the early shovel but not as bad .If a shovel is leaking it's the owners fault not the bike he isn't doing the maintenance needed . I defy anyone to ever find an oil spot under my 40 yr old bike in the last 15 yrs that I didn't spill .

Give me that dirty Shovel love !!

Old 05-17-2011, 08:58 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,350 Likes on 1,520 Posts

[QUOTE=TwiZted Biker;8331125]

We do think along the same lines , far as I'm concerned Shovels were the last American made harley period. Give me that dirty Shovel love !!

Amen to that!

Well it took a few years but finally found another. Original owner was 86 and decided it was time to stop riding. Out of Flint, MI. Going through it front to back, changing out seals, gaskets and what-not. Have to take the motor apart due to gaskets leaking. Too bad because it purrs like a kitten and from what I can tell the motor has never been apart (58k miles). Only two things not stock are the outer primary cover, the left passing lamp and the tires. Has the usual wear and tear for a 27 year-old rider but he was good about routine maintenance.

Pic w/ Tour-Pak off...

Old 05-17-2011, 09:13 AM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Old 05-17-2011, 09:21 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 49,082 Likes on 17,943 Posts

[quote=panz4ever;8331228]
Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker

Amen to that!

Well it took a few years but finally found another. Original owner was 86 and decided it was time to stop riding. Out of Flint, MI. Going through it front to back, changing out seals, gaskets and what-not. Have to take the motor apart due to gaskets leaking. Too bad because it purrs like a kitten and from what I can tell the motor has never been apart (58k miles). Only two things not stock are the outer primary cover, the left passing lamp and the tires. Has the usual wear and tear for a 27 year-old rider but he was good about routine maintenance.

Pic w/ Tour-Pak off...

Nice find bro that's a clean bike . Rocker boxes weeping or the base gaskets ? The new metal composite gaskets out now are the bomb for the common shovel seeps and no retorque on the rocker boxes with them , takes all the stupid out of them haven't had a recurring leak on any of the shovels I've used them on . Pricey but worth every dime .

I'm looking for another bargain basket or beater I can play with and maybe turn later , have to do something and making a buck wouldn't be bad either .