General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any opinions on Leatherworks bags?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2006, 01:24 AM
Bluerose
Default Any opinions on Leatherworks bags?

Took my bike in today for some minor fixes they promised when I bought it.
The Harley bags I bought for the Deluxe (besides being small) were not closing
properly and had gaps where you could insert at least a finger.
Kinda silly for "Locking" bags.

The dealer agreed they were awful and said even if they got new bags
they would probably not be much better because of bad design.
They have offered to replace them and suggested Leatherworks bags instead.
(Yeah I guess I'll be changing the pipes to accomodate)

The style is not bad but they are not the hard sides I was hoping for...
Any opinions on the craftsmenship of Leatherworks bags?

Old 06-04-2006, 02:24 AM
05Dynachic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Any opinions on Leatherworks bags?

I have Leaatherworks Bags on my bike. They are good quality! You can custom order them if you like. Stealers should have some in stock for you to look at! If not, a catalog. Thick, good quality leather that holds its shape! Cost factor: reasonable! If you've heard of the "Nickel Bags" they come from leatherworks.

Good luck!

Old 06-04-2006, 02:37 AM
Bluerose

Great! I just didn't want to get stuck with icky bags again.

I would't call my dealer a stealer...they are doing what they can to make it right.
In fact...since the price of the Harley bags were so high they are going to
set me up with the ones that match the bike (120's with weave) and
make them detachable.

Funny thing is they still think they will own me $$....

Got the touring pak setup today...I definantely want them to match.

Old 06-04-2006, 03:59 AM
HogHal
Cruiser
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Leatherworks is about 10 miles away from where I live. I had their bags on my Low Rider for 6 years, and the guy who bought it 2 years ago is still running them. Their quality and service are fantastic! I broke one of the leather straps on one bag just from old age, they said to bring both bags in. They installed the new quick release clasps and new straps, and redyed everything so that they looked new. No charge, now that's great service!

Old 06-04-2006, 08:24 AM
arthur
Road Master
Received 56 Likes on 34 Posts

Hi,

Picking up my deluxe in a couple of weeks. I ordered the Leatherworks bags 120 with basket weave to match the bike. I e-mailed Leatherworks a few times before ordering to make sure that they would fit etc. The responses said that I would not need to change/lower the pipes as long as there was two inches clearance.

As I don't have the bike yet, I can't tell, but she went on to say that many have put the bags on with no pipe mods. Will let you for sure in about 2 weeks! I ordered the EasyBrackets for them as well and you can drill mount the brackets in a location of your choosing on the bag to make sure the clearance is adequate.

Of course if you're think shinny new pipes anyway....

Arthur

Old 06-04-2006, 01:03 PM
Bluerose

ORIGINAL: arthur

Hi,

Picking up my deluxe in a couple of weeks. I ordered the Leatherworks bags 120 with basket weave to match the bike. I e-mailed Leatherworks a few times before ordering to make sure that they would fit etc. The responses said that I would not need to change/lower the pipes as long as there was two inches clearance.

As I don't have the bike yet, I can't tell, but she went on to say that many have put the bags on with no pipe mods. Will let you for sure in about 2 weeks! I ordered the EasyBrackets for them as well and you can drill mount the brackets in a location of your choosing on the bag to make sure the clearance is adequate.

Arthur

Though I wasn't planning on buying pipes just yet, my hubby said I should go ahead and do it. He figured if they were going to return the other bags I might as well change the pipes and get something a bit larger. He thought if later I wanted to replace the pipes I'd look silly with little bags and would want new bags. No use paying for pipes twice.

Thinking of going with Sampson true duals with the mufflers. Just gotta call Sampson and verify I can get the ones I want.

Old 06-04-2006, 02:18 PM
jv225
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I checked out the leatherworks at a local shop for my WG. The quality looked real good. I ended up going with Boss Bags though. The quality is great and they seemed to be alittle bigger plus I like how they mount. Just my opinion but you might want to check them out http://www.bossbags.com/

Old 06-05-2006, 07:38 AM
arthur
Road Master
Received 56 Likes on 34 Posts

Sound like great pipes. Hmmmmmm, perhpas one day.... I have to be a little careful with pipes and mods like that in California due to strict emmission etc. Good luchk with the pipes and bags.

Arthur

ORIGINAL: Bluerose

Hi,

Arthur

Though I wasn't planning on buying pipes just yet, my hubby said I should go ahead and do it. He figured if they were going to return the other bags I might as well change the pipes and get something a bit larger. He thought if later I wanted to replace the pipes I'd look silly with little bags and would want new bags. No use paying for pipes twice.

Thinking of going with Sampson true duals with the mufflers. Just gotta call Sampson and verify I can get the ones I want.

Old 06-12-2006, 11:30 PM
eleutheros
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

My friend liked the quality of his leatherup saddle bags and boots so much, I ordered boots and a tool bag. Great price, fast, and excellent quality.

Old 06-13-2006, 12:42 AM
Bluerose

I live in CA...Just don't get too loud and they won't bug you unless you do something stupid.
Believe me my hubby has some pretty loud pipes and we were riding right in front of a
local cop the other day.

I'm putting mufflers on mine instead of going with the straights with or without baffles.
Dealer said it would run better because of the CA adjustments. I like the look and I didn't want super loud anyway.

Sound like great pipes. Hmmmmmm, perhpas one day.... I have to be a little careful with pipes and mods like that in California due to strict emmission etc. Good luchk with the pipes and bags.

Arthur

ORIGINAL: Bluerose

Hi,

Arthur

Quick Reply: Any opinions on Leatherworks bags?