Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sturgis 2010

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 11:44 PM
Scrappy
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sturgis 2010

Planning a trip next year to Sturgis. This is the first time for me to go and some friends are coming in from Germany for it. We want to have a wild time with lots of nakedness and partying. We were thinking of staying at the chip. Is it worth the money or would one of the other campgrounds be better. I know it is all a matter of opinion but..... Also anyone who has stayed at buffalo chip and can tell me about the prices. Thanks

Scrappy

Old 08-17-2009, 02:59 PM
Baeseman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 99 Likes on 78 Posts

I didn't stay at the Chip, but I hear it's a good party. Use this link for pricing.
http://www.rallytickets.com/sturgis/...ype=1&UnitID=1

Old 08-17-2009, 04:38 PM
Scrappy
Advanced
Default Alcohol

I was just reading on the chips website and it says that you cant bring alcohol into the campground. Is that the norm for the camping areas around there?

Old 08-17-2009, 04:39 PM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Scrappy
I was just reading on the chips website and it says that you cant bring alcohol into the campground. Is that the norm for the camping areas around there?
Nope.

Old 08-17-2009, 04:40 PM
hounddog1257
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I stayed at Lamphere and will be again in 2010! Cant beat their prices!

Old 08-17-2009, 05:32 PM
Scrappy
Advanced

Looks too calm for me.

Old 08-17-2009, 06:36 PM
ENGINE5
Intermediate

Me and my buds went this year and I just have to say that STURGIS SUCKS! We hit town ready to party and were met by rules , rules , and more rules. The cops are freaking ridiculous and were writing tickets and towing bikes left and right. We made the mistake of staying at a hotel in Lead and took cabs at night so we wouldn't get DWI's. Checkpoints were everywhere. To get out to the Chip , Full Throttle, or Monkey Rock , was about a $200 roundtrip for 4 of us. I would definately stay out at the Chip if you want to party. Deadwood is just that - Dead, and Sturgis aint any better. I will go back, but only go to Sturgis for 1 day and see the vendors and then get the hell outa there to party. Beer was outrageous at the bars, hell everything was a money trap. 2 things really shocked me about Sturgis, The low price of new bikes being sold there, and how freaking lame it was.

Old 08-17-2009, 07:49 PM
ron bayless
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ENGINE5
Me and my buds went this year and I just have to say that STURGIS SUCKS! We hit town ready to party and were met by rules , rules , and more rules. The cops are freaking ridiculous and were writing tickets and towing bikes left and right. We made the mistake of staying at a hotel in Lead and took cabs at night so we wouldn't get DWI's. Checkpoints were everywhere. To get out to the Chip , Full Throttle, or Monkey Rock , was about a $200 roundtrip for 4 of us. I would definately stay out at the Chip if you want to party. Deadwood is just that - Dead, and Sturgis aint any better. I will go back, but only go to Sturgis for 1 day and see the vendors and then get the hell outa there to party. Beer was outrageous at the bars, hell everything was a money trap. 2 things really shocked me about Sturgis, The low price of new bikes being sold there, and how freaking lame it was.
I agree with you 100%.I just turned 60, i told my wife once in my lifetime i wanted to go to sturgis.Boy was I disappointed.Riding in the black hills was fantastic, but not worth driving/riding 1100 miles to do it.

Old 01-06-2010, 03:51 PM
Fastfwd
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I’ve got more questions on this…..first, bummer to hear that people had such a bad time. I can only imagine that they rip you off at every turn as hard as they can. That sucks.

Second…..even if you’re camping at the Buffalo Chip you can’t bring in your own alcohol? I see where it says you can’t bring in alcohol to the shows, but what about to your campsite? Surely people aren’t shelling out $6 a beer or whatever and there is that big of a party happening. I don’t see how anyone could afford that.

Basically, I noticed a few people mentioning going and looked at the website:

http://www.buffalochip.com/RESERVATIONS/PriceList/tabid/221/Default.aspx

$165 for a week of camping and shows? Really? That doesn’t sound all that bad really. How long until they stop the ‘early bird’ special?

I’m guessing they have way more than enough room for everybody to camp? It’s not cramped is it?

Are there other campgrounds that have anywhere near the party? I’m sure not going to try to chance riding around drinking if the cops are that thick.

Thanks!

Old 01-06-2010, 03:58 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

I've stayed at the Chip, and if you like to party, it's a pretty good place. No risk of DUI's and the group there was really mellow. My brother and I stayed there and a had a good time. But there's a little campground not too far from the Chip, right down the road. It was $15 a night, had good showers, and their own little party going on. Nothing the scale of the Chip, but if you're looking to save $$, it's a good place. Sorry I can't remember the name, but it's less than 4-5 miles from the Chip.
EDIT: I think the name was the Iron Horse Campground...

Quick Reply: Sturgis 2010