General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sturgis 2010

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 02:47 PM
skullhead
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by skidder
If I ever went back I would get there early, ride the Blackhills, stay for a day or 2 when the party starts and leave. When you camp you are at the mercy of the weather which can get real ugly fast.I would hate to have my tent soaked and covered in hail stones knowing I have to get in there to sleep while drunk.Get a room or cabin.
See that seat candy in the photo below, I would not like to sleep with her in a crushed cold tent and if you have a lady with you you'll be glad you have a nice soft warm bed to share.
Seat Candy never heard that one before!

Old 01-07-2010, 03:08 PM
fly
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Scrappy,

I have been going to Sturgis for 16 straight years. Since you asked a simple question, here is the simple answer....stay at the Chip for nekkidness and the best party.

Folks go for different reason and there are always those that say I will never go back because of.....whatever!

I have stayed at most campgrounds and visited nearly every damn one...the Chip is party central as far as campgrounds go. Many of the other camps mentioned are tame as a bridge club on Wednesday night.

But I promise that the Chip offers the most of what you said you were looking for.

Fly

Old 01-27-2010, 04:57 PM
Scrappy
Advanced
Default Sturgis

Thanks for all the tips. I am definitly looking forward to it.

Old 01-27-2010, 05:37 PM
Nevada Jim
Novice

This will be my 3rd. ride out there. Chris' campground is great. Lookin' forward to it.

Old 01-27-2010, 05:57 PM
Bobzilla
Road Captain

Been to the chip since I can remember have always brought in my own alcohol just keep it under wraps dont try walking in with a bottle in each hand

Old 01-27-2010, 08:19 PM
Roadie09
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am working on my travel plans to Sturgis and thought about staying at Shade Valley. Anyone have any experience with that camp ground.

Old 01-27-2010, 08:48 PM
whiskeyrider
Stellar HDF Member
Received 326 Likes on 149 Posts

To those worried about drinking and riding, most of the stops made are because of not watching your speed,or having lights burned out. I have seen both of these many times. I don't drink untill I get back to the campground, then it's time to have fun. I stay at Bear Butte Creek Campground. It is one mile east of the chip. They have bands, bar and cook shack. Showers are only ok but normaly plenty of hot water. The nice thing about campgrounds east of town you can take in the chip, monkeyrock,full throttle and not ave to go towards town to get home for the night. Remember to watch you speeds and to use turn signals and for the most part you should be ok,just my observations from 16 years of going to Sturgis,WR.

Old 07-31-2010, 10:31 AM
brgtr3
Outstanding HDF Member

Update for those who might imbibe (and best is not to do it in the first place). Here's a link where you can get text message updates of where checkpoints are being set up. Not sure how useful it will be, because they don't pinpoint intersections, etc. Take it for what it's worth... here's the article:

http://www.rapidcityjournal.com/news...cc4c002e0.html

Here's the direct link to sobriety checkpoint text message alerts, go to www.actcivilized.com.

Old 07-31-2010, 11:20 AM
hiplainsheritage2
Advanced

The Buffalo Chip is the party. It is just as simple as that. Glencoe, from what I hear, is good, too. As for alcohol at the Chip, no you can't bring your own alcohol. You can buy there. Just inside the main gate is a refrigerated trailer that sells beer and ice. The price isn't bad. You can take this to your campground. Inside the amphiteater, no alcohol is allowed to be brought in even from the campsites. This, I have been told, is because of their liquor license.

Taking a cab? WTF? You could take Da Bus and get to the places you want to go. I think they have a rally pass for the entire week. I know it runs out on the interstate, so i assume it covers more than just Sturgis.

Checkpoints? Never seen them. Since I usually stay at the Chip and don't really worry about the rest, I am not sure about what you are talking. If you are talking about the blocks at the end of each street, I think that is more for traffic control than a checkpoint. Sure, the police stand around those, but they have never hassled me. I have seen bikes towed, but they were illegally parked. The owners were also warned to move them first.

The reason I stay at the Chip is so I don't have to drive after attending a concert. Never have a problem. I suggest a pair of cheap foam earplugs for a good night's rest. It may be tent city, but that is what a rally is about. Also, you can save alot of money by purchasing your pass to the Chip early in the year before they know the bands. The cost per night is based on the bands playing at the Chip.

If you have been going for a number of years, you learn how to negotiate the town and the campgrounds a bit easier. You learn the shortcuts and when the crowd is going where. For instance, if you ride the Needles from one direction you have no crowds waiting at the tunnels. Ride the other direction, and you have a long wait to get through.

You see what you want to see. You want nekkedness, yeah, you can see that. You want to hang with the CMA, you can do that. It isn't for everyone. I suggest that if you are going for your first time, find someone who has been their to show you the ropes.

Old 07-31-2010, 11:23 AM
hiplainsheritage2
Advanced

Oh yeah, someone above provided a list of common infractions. I would add overheight bars as a typical reason for a traffice stop. You have to put both feet down for a legal stop in SD.