General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sturgis 2010

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 04:46 PM
06roadglide
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I stayed at Katmando's camp ground back in 06. It was one exit east of sturgis. Good hot showers, laundry rooms, shuttles to run you back and forth to Sturgis for free and had there own bar setup in the campground and if I remember right, it was about $15 a night. The chip is too much excitement for me.
I only went into town one time just to be able to say I was there then went riding. After about 200-300 miles a day we would wind up back at the campground and have a good time at a walking distance bar.

Old 01-06-2010, 04:56 PM
kmealp
Cruiser

It was our first time in 09 stayed at glencoe, they had great showers and tons of room but no real bands for the money. There was some good partys and alot of the beads and you could bring in your own beer. Next time I will stay somewhere else. We did the same we went to town just to look at the stuff. After all day ridding we would walk to the monkey rock or full throttle

Last edited by kmealp; 01-06-2010 at 04:59 PM.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:23 PM
skidder
Extreme HDF Member
Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts

If I ever went back I would get there early, ride the Blackhills, stay for a day or 2 when the party starts and leave. When you camp you are at the mercy of the weather which can get real ugly fast.I would hate to have my tent soaked and covered in hail stones knowing I have to get in there to sleep while drunk.Get a room or cabin.
See that seat candy in the photo below, I would not like to sleep with her in a crushed cold tent and if you have a lady with you you'll be glad you have a nice soft warm bed to share.

Last edited by skidder; 01-06-2010 at 05:27 PM.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:24 PM
brgtr3
Outstanding HDF Member

What's with all the checkpoints at Sturgis? Are they running 'em 24/7, or just after dark? Not that I'm overly concerned about that, as I'm staying in Keystone and don't plan to be riding after dark (or riding drunk). This will be my first time going to Sturgis, and I planning to only do one day at Sturgis proper, and the other days cruising the surrounding roads.

Old 01-06-2010, 05:35 PM
klaybus
Stellar HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by skidder
If I ever went back I would get there early, ride the Blackhills, stay for a day or 2 when the party starts and leave. When you camp you are at the mercy of the weather which can get real ugly fast.I would hate to have my tent soaked and covered in hail stones knowing I have to get in there to sleep while drunk.Get a room or cabin.
See that seat candy in the photo below, I would not like to sleep with her in a crushed cold tent and if you have a lady with you you'll be glad you have a nice soft warm bed to share.
2010 will be my first trip as well. I'm going to be bring the RV though so weather (sleeping) issues won't be an issue. Hoping not top get hassled by too many LEO's though....Ought to be interesting to say the least!

Old 01-06-2010, 05:43 PM
tbrenan
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think Sturgis is what you make of it, went in 09 with a group of 7, the bride and I rode the areas, 2 of our group stayed downtown and ripped it up--no problems with police or anyone else, as to Keystone it looks like it would be a lot of fun in the evening as it rocks during the daytime. Look into Mount Rodney campground, right on the edge of Sturgis. The comments about rain and hail only applied to a couple of days--we stayed a week and got sun everyday.

Old 01-06-2010, 09:34 PM
icewater103
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Fastfwd
I’ve got more questions on this…..first, bummer to hear that people had such a bad time. I can only imagine that they rip you off at every turn as hard as they can. That sucks.

Second…..even if you’re camping at the Buffalo Chip you can’t bring in your own alcohol? I see where it says you can’t bring in alcohol to the shows, but what about to your campsite? Surely people aren’t shelling out $6 a beer or whatever and there is that big of a party happening. I don’t see how anyone could afford that.

Basically, I noticed a few people mentioning going and looked at the website:

http://www.buffalochip.com/RESERVATIONS/PriceList/tabid/221/Default.aspx

$165 for a week of camping and shows? Really? That doesn’t sound all that bad really. How long until they stop the ‘early bird’ special?

I’m guessing they have way more than enough room for everybody to camp? It’s not cramped is it?

Are there other campgrounds that have anywhere near the party? I’m sure not going to try to chance riding around drinking if the cops are that thick.

Thanks!
The 'chip is the party IMO. I'm taking the wife (her first trip) and she heard that camping there is like tent city. I googled an aerial photo for her. Yea, it's a tent city but a cool one, and there is room. There are other campgrounds close to Sturgis and shuttles so you can move around safely after partying, The weather can get nasty, but it generally blows over as quickly as it shows up. We plan on riding all day and then catching concerts and a little partying at night. Have fun, hope to see you there.

Old 01-07-2010, 01:42 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

This year, I'm planning to stay closer to where everything is going on. The Chip / full throttle area. I'd like to see the national dirt track race, attend the hillclimb, maybe take in the zz top concert. But it would be nice to be near the big bars without worrying about driving home or trying to catch the shuttle. Walking distance would be great.

Regarding the tent comment, and the weather. You need a good tent that's weather proof, I have a 2 man (1man,1woman) tent I bought in argentina that's made for treking in the high Andes. I've had that little tent in the howling wind, covered in snow, drenched in pouring rain, covered in flys and bugs, but inside it's always a nice little cozy nest me and the OL can cuddle up in. So you have to be prepared, if your tent's soggy and wet then huck the piece of crap and get a good one.

Another thing about sturgis. Last year I discovered a short cut around the town. There's a little gravel road that cuts south off the main drag just before you go into town from the east. The road goes to the cemetery, but continues on to the interstate. Take that road and you'll save about an hour bypassing the traffic in town.

Old 01-07-2010, 02:26 PM
jprior
Advanced

Originally Posted by Scrappy
Planning a trip next year to Sturgis. This is the first time for me to go and some friends are coming in from Germany for it. We want to have a wild time with lots of nakedness and partying. We were thinking of staying at the chip. Is it worth the money or would one of the other campgrounds be better. I know it is all a matter of opinion but..... Also anyone who has stayed at buffalo chip and can tell me about the prices. Thanks

Scrappy
"...nakedness and partying."

I really hope you're a hot chick and not a dude.

Old 01-07-2010, 02:27 PM
mp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ENGINE5
Me and my buds went this year and I just have to say that STURGIS SUCKS! We hit town ready to party and were met by rules , rules , and more rules. The cops are freaking ridiculous and were writing tickets and towing bikes left and right. We made the mistake of staying at a hotel in Lead and took cabs at night so we wouldn't get DWI's. Checkpoints were everywhere. To get out to the Chip , Full Throttle, or Monkey Rock , was about a $200 roundtrip for 4 of us. I would definately stay out at the Chip if you want to party. Deadwood is just that - Dead, and Sturgis aint any better. I will go back, but only go to Sturgis for 1 day and see the vendors and then get the hell outa there to party. Beer was outrageous at the bars, hell everything was a money trap. 2 things really shocked me about Sturgis, The low price of new bikes being sold there, and how freaking lame it was.
Well, lame is as lame does, and riding in a taxicab all around Sturgis is pretty damn lame. Do you wear your chaps in the cab? Try riding your bike and the fun will come. Don't get totally faced til after you get back to the hotel.

Quick Reply: Sturgis 2010