General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got caught in the rain, it felt good!

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 10:58 AM
kudzu35
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I got caught one time in Hawaii and it was not as pleasant. It was 50 and I had on all my snivvle gear but when it poured... the gear was not waterproof... Longest non-deployment shower I ever took.

Old 08-17-2009, 02:38 PM
Duff
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only thing that bothers me about riding in the rain is that in this area Cagers completely lose their frickin minds when they turn on their wipers. I have no idea why but when it rains in Hampton Roads accidents everywhere!

Old 08-17-2009, 03:02 PM
skip3406
Road Captain
Received 27 Likes on 2 Posts

I paid my dues on June 17th this year. 551 miles of continious rain out of a 616 mile trip up to viit my brother. Rain Gaiters realy do work.

Old 08-17-2009, 04:32 PM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Duff
The only thing that bothers me about riding in the rain is that in this area Cagers completely lose their frickin minds when they turn on their wipers. I have no idea why but when it rains in Hampton Roads accidents everywhere!
Pfft in Hampton Roads they don't need rain to have lots of accidents. I think this area has some of the crappiest drivers I've seen. I especially like the stupid move I see all the time where they are in the farthest left lane of travel then at the last possible second they move across all lanes of traffic to get to the exit on the left most lane. They don't care who they cut off or run off the road as long as they get off on their exit. Why don't the they move into the right lane further back? Idiots I tell ya.
My wife is originally from here and blames the crappy driving on so many people from out of state being here because of the military, I say it's just good ole crappy Virginian driving habits.

Old 08-17-2009, 07:51 PM
ackman1968
Elite HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by stell55chevy
you know what is even more fun... riding down to AZ. from good ole WA state and getting caught in the rain for 530 miles! good times! oh wait a minute... no not really! have to admit, living here in Wa State u get used to getting caught in the rain. it isnt that bad as long as you have a visor on the helmet. only thing i dont like is the feel of hard rain on ur face! sux.

You're just on the wrong side of the Cascades. Get over here on the east side and enjoy the sunshine!

Old 08-17-2009, 08:51 PM
June Bug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I HAVE ridden in the rain, I CAN ride in the rain, I WILL ride in the rain if I have to. But I will never, EVER like it.

Old 08-18-2009, 08:09 AM
Mk1Racer
Road Master

Originally Posted by stell55chevy
i consider being caught in the rain a free bike wash!
Damn, hate to see what you're bike normally looks like if it's cleaner after having ridden in the rain! I'm not really a fan of riding in the rain. A little sprinkle on a hot day is great. Went out for a nice ride w/ my buddy a couple of weeks ago. We did ~170 miles. Wouldn't you know it, we got as far away from home as possible, and it started to rain. Waited it out a bit, and then got going again. Nothing too bad. We were dry ~15 min. after it stopped. We were heading South, and I saw more clouds to the West, so we made a detour to go back East (the way home), and try and beat the rain. Got to the far edge before we had to turn South. Got wet again, but we were dry 10 min. after we got out of the rain. Maybe 10 miles from home, we got hit w/ yet another little shower. Nothing big, and hardly got wet. Stopped at a friend's house for bbq, and when I left, I got about 4 miles from home when the skys just opened up. I got totally drenched. So, over the course of 1 ride, we got rained on 4 different times! And yeah, the bikes were filth after the 1st storm. Was coming back from Pa. one night, started raining so damned hard, I had to actually stop and get a room. Sat under a bridge for almost an hour to see if it would stop. Nope.

Old 08-18-2009, 09:01 PM
rambobob
Tourer

Two days later and I just got it clean.

Old 08-18-2009, 09:12 PM
kk6pg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Perch
I HAVE ridden in the rain, I CAN ride in the rain, I WILL ride in the rain if I have to. But I will never, EVER like it.
Come on Perch.
You love it and you know it

Old 08-18-2009, 10:35 PM
Elginator
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rambobob
!50 miles of riding and got caught in the rain. Actually felt good!!! My riding buddy did not want to go out today. but then it cleared up and was very nice and he was depressed because he stayed home. Sometimes ya just got to say screw it ,lets ride. The wife was on board the whole way!!!!
I was out near you on the F.A.S.T. Ride from Elmhurst to Morris and back. We broke off and headed back through Elburn. Stopped for lunch and the skys opened up. After that it was a steady rain and riding home in it really did feel good.

And my bike needed a bath anyway!

Quick Reply: Got caught in the rain, it felt good!